need advice about a Millie I plan to buy from a friend...

Hello everyone,

I am a teacher at my local quilt shop where the owner has recently opened (about a year ago). She had bought a APQS Millie and planned to rent it out. Well long story short it did not go as planned and now she has it for sale. I am very interested in buying it. But there is one thing I am worried about. The machine has always seemed "stiff". She had one of the wheels replaced which did not seem to change anything. I just used it yesturday and it seemed even stiffer than before. It seems to resist moving freely more in one direction than the other.

It really has not been used very much but it has been used by several different people. Any adive on what you think it could be would be great. I just dont want to buy it and then have something go wrong with it right away. I am hoping that once we take it apart and put it back together to move it and just "ONE" person gets to know it that we will work out the stiffness. It just has me worried since it's always been stiff to some degreee.

Thanks for any help and advice you can give,

Julie

Julie,

First, welcome to the forum.

I think you\'re going to have to give us some specifics like:

When was the machine made? APQS can tell you that if you give them the serial #.

How much does she want for it?

Other than the stiffness, does the machine mechanically work. You can always send the head back to APQS for a re-furb.

Does the machine come with anything, like pantos, thread or templates/rulers?

Once you provide us with that info, maybe we can help you with some advice.

If you can get a good deal on this machine, jump on it!!!

Getting the table properly leveled and inspecting the wheels for thread tangles and/or removing accumulated gook will soon have it gliding along. Those wheels adjust for "looser" very easily.

I would venture that the stiffness is caused by the whole system never being adjusted properly from the first set-up. These machines gliiiiiiide when they are happy.

You are lucky that you are familiar with the machine and have had hands-on with it. Don\'t let on that the fix may be easy--you will maybe get it for a better price!!

Good luck, Julie.

The machine is just over a year old. She bought it brand new from APQS. The store owner is a really nice disabled lady who had to reley on anyone but herself to get the machine going from day one. At first there were all kinds of issues with the thread breaking and tension. All the tension issues were worked out and the thread does not break very often. But the machince does not move smoothly on the carriage. It\'s stiff and hard to quilt smooth round curves even with lots of practice. When I look at the wheels it does not seem like anything is stuck but that is what it feels like.

She is asking 14,500 which comes with the bobbin winder, 16 pantos, about $500 worth of good thread, Longarm quilting Books and 2 rolls of batting.

The motor sounds great and the tension is great but the machine seems to drag on the frame.

Please let me know if there\'s any other info you need. I realize that if I buy this from her there is no longer a warranty. But if there is something I can have her do now when it is still in her name then maybe I can get it fixed under the warranty.

Thanks agian,

Julie

Julie, You got some great advice from both Linda C and Linda R. Now, since it\'s still under warranty you could speak with the local APQS rep or call the APQS headquarters in DesMoines to get some advice? I understand they can help you fix most things over the phone by isolating the problem. I am not very techy when it comes to the longarm, but it sounds to me like your machine might not be leveled correctly (as Linda Rech said), or your carriage wheels might not be aligned correctly (or both). Both are easy fixes. You really need to make sure that table is totally level before moving to other things. Do you have a nice 3 foot long "quality" level you can borrow and go all around the table both sides of the rails and both ends of the table (center, too). After you do that, take some rubbing alcohol and wipe down the rails and carriage where the wheels glide. Dab a couple of Q-tips with alcohol and run them through the inside of all eight of the carriage wheel areas to get them nice and cleaned too. That might help. The owners manual has good photos and instructions on how to level the table and how to adjust your wheel cams. Good luck!

Julie,

It sounds like a minor issue to me. Of course we all have tension problems in the beginning. There is a "getting acquainted" period that we all go through with out machine. Once you are use to the adjustments the tension things will be fine. The dragging could be, like the others have said, just to level the table, making sure adjustments are right on the nut on the wheels, etc. These ladies know what they are talking about. It would be a good idea to check with APQS to see what they say.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Mary Beth

Thank you for your advice. Do you all think it is a good price for what I am getting? I\'m pretty sure it is. But a second opinion of someone who knows about longarms would be nice. I\'m glad to see such personalized info here on this website. It is exactly what I was looking for :)

Julie

I think the others are right about the stiffness issue. It is probably fairly minor having to do with the table not being level, the adjustment of the wheels or a thread wrapped around a wheel (or two). Be sure you check the small area above the black part of the wheel. That\'s where the "sneaky threads" like to hide out. You can have a thread wound around that area and it will get black and be hard to see. Also, check to make sure the channel locks are releasing completely.

My main concern would be if the machine has been maintained properly. Has it been regularly oiled and cleaned? Did those using it know how to use it so it wasn\'t abused?

As far as the price is concerned, I think its a fair price. I upgraded from a Liberty to a Millie in September, meaning I only needed the head and new legs. I kept my table. From that transaction I don\'t think the price is too high. You might check to see what APQS asks for used machines.

These machines are really work horses. If they\'ve been maintained they will work well practically forever.

Thankyou all again for this great advice! Phyllis you had said something about the channel locks and to make sure they are releasing all the way. How would I know if they "ARE" releasing all the way? From how the machine feels that is kinda what it feels like if it\'s not the wheels being to tight or the machine not level.

Thanks,

Julie

Archived