Hey Scrap bookers? Is there Paper punch stamp to make little holes through paper or plastic?

OK all you scrap-booking folks, is this possible?

I am still learning the "tools of the trade"

If I found a block design I liked and used a photo copier to blow it up, could I then use a little paper puncher (like a stamp) to cut some little holes through to use this for my pounce pad? have any of you done this and does it work? What about this thing punching through vellum or light plastic?

I\'m not thinking of your standard paper puncher that you squeeze with your fist, I am thinking of a stamp that you push down and it cuts out little holes in the paper... is there such an animal?

A thousand years ago there was a dressmakers tool that looked like a spur with a handle. The wheel part had little teeth and you rolled it along the cutting line of tissue patterns to punch holes. Then you used a chalk pounce pad to push the chalk through the holes. (Hey...that sounds familiar.....)

Anyhoooo--I will look for one at Joann\'s for you and send it along if you can\'t find one locally.

Hey cutie pie, I think you are on to something!!!

Shana

the difficulty with paper punches is the opening that you slide the paper under as it is usually only about 1 inch. what you need to look for is a spring loaded punch that come with different sized holes which you place directly over where you want to punch pull on the end and release and it punches through the paper etc. They look like oversized pens.

janelle

Shauna in the Great Cold North.. um use an ice pick.. or darning needle.. or an awl, etc.

dressmakers tool would work on paper, not plastic. I still have the first one I ever had.. a prize for making a Wool Suit back in 1956.. It\'s nearly an antique.

RitaR

ROFLOL! Rita...you crack me up with the ice pick. Sure thing that will work! ;)

Renee, I was just thinking little holes enough for pounce powder to rub through the paper and onto the fabric. If I could stamp every inch or so, maybe less...depending on the design...just enough to see a patternwith the pounce that would work, right?

You all are so terrific with ideas! Thanks.

Shana,

I needed a 1/16th hole punch for hexagon stencils. I found it at Michaels Craft store. They\'re called Ribbon Stitch & Button Hole Punches. I\'m at work so I don\'t have the brand name but they had all sizes 1/16th through 1/2in. They\'re also called "long reach" which mean you can go further in from the edge then normal punches. Mine have padded purple handles. I\'m using them to punch through rather thick stencil templet plastic. They punch right through like butter. Michaels website only has the 1/4in size. If you can\'t find them I\'d be more then happy to get one or two and mail them to you. I can be your "secret Easter Bunny"

Connie in VA

Shana,

You can do like Tina said and sew over the lines with your DSM and no thread in the needle. I have done this but I used a "Wing" needle that is used for Heirloom sewing and it makes larger holes in the stencil plastic. A wing needle has flanges (or wings) on the sides of the needle and makes a wider hole than even a jeans needle. If you run your pounce pad over the rough side of the stencil you get ggod covewrage on your quilt.

Another tool is an actual stencil cutter. It looks like an Xacto knife, but it has 2 blades that will cut just like ready made stencils. You can get them at a crafts or sewing store.

Patty

Shana:

I normally use my DSM with a very large needle then take a darning needle and go through again by hand. I\'ve bought the slit cutter (don\'t remember the name) but it is very hard on my hands so after trying it a couple of times, gave that up. The needle does a good job and I saw I believe in the gadget section where someone had put a needle into an eraser to make it easier on your hands.

If you find a good tool, let us all know!

Judy in MO

What is the design that you wish to punch? I used six layers of tracing paper for multiple templates and sewed with a thick needle, no thread, on my DSM and it works great for chalking a pattern and can be reused multiple times. You can even use the 550 spray glue that disappears with time and affix the tracing paper onto the fabric, do your stitching, then tear it away. That works great too. Good luck and let us know what you work out Shana.

Vicki

You can go online and order a catalog from Tandy leather. They have rotary and straight hole punches which may serve your need. Also when I first learned hand quilting about 35 years ago one of our tools was a 1/16," single hole, hand held punch.It was ordered from an office supply store. A hole was punched in the templates where intersecting corners of the pattern crossed (not seam allowance). Then when hand stitching the block, align the dots for perfect corners. Good luck Robin

Archived