online fabric sources

I shop online from Hancocks, Fat Quarter Shop, materialgirlfabrics.com, Pacific Rim, Quilting Treasures, and Connecting Threads. Since there are no fabric shops in Chicago (they are all in the suburbs) I buy online frequently. If I want a specific fabric and its only in stock at one shop, I buy it there. If I visit my sister on the weekend, she will drive me to a designer fabric store.; I cannot drive for medical reasons. I prefer to see the fabric first but that just isn\'t possible for me. Many times my coordinating fabrics don\'t go well together and I have to order something else. Its frustrating.

I rarely buy fabric online because it\'s often a different color than it appeared on the computer screen, or sometimes the quality isn\'t what I would like. I\'m fortunate to have a quilt shop that has a pretty good selection of material. If I didn\'t, I\'d have to chance it online too.

I buy online and in shops; I just steer clear of JoAnns. The fabric patterns may look like the good stuff but the griege is of poor quality 98% of the time and the color often fades or runs. Ask me how I know.

fashionfabricsclub.com can have some good fabric and sometimes not. It\'s not my most favorite. Since I sew garments as well as quilt I look for different fabrics then just cottons. One of my favs is fabricmart.com. Also, RaNae Merrill has her fabric for sale. Boy my brain\'s not working..can\'t remember what they\'re called. She designed them for Blank Fabrics. Also has patterns for them. They\'re like starbursts in one color per fabric. Navy, teal, green, yellow, orange. Really neat.

There\'s also a quilt fabris online source out of the Bay area. Her name is Lesley and her prices are great. She has a design wall too for coordinating

fabrics. I\'l get back to you on the name.

I shop online most of the time since I am disabled and have difficulty getting to quilt shops. When I do, my motorized scooter won’t fit between isles or the shop is not handicapped accessible. I just wanted to share one of my favorite online fabric shops-----www.dutchlandquilts.com. I think their prices are very reasonable. I placed an order for Moda fabric today at $6.35 per yard comparable to $7.98 for the same fabrics on most other online sites. Click on “Fabrics” and choose a manufacturer to view the fabric choices or “New Products” for fabrics that are coming soon.

This shop is local, but on a second floor. I can place an order & my sister can pick it up for me saving the shipping.

Try Fabricdepot.com, they have high quality fabrics and reasonable prices, frequent sales online and in their huge store in Portland, Oregon. It is a favorite place of mine to shop when I get there but I have bought frequently online and been very pleased. Also if you buy by the bolt it is 40% off.

• 2 weeks later...

I\'ve found www.fabricguru.com . We ordered some tapestry from them, very good stuff. 2 yards for $14. When we got it there was a small chunk out of it. They insisted on refunding the entire price of it and told us to keep it. They are really great to work with. They have Kaufman fabrics, Laura Ashley, etc. They have sewing fabrics, drapery fabrics and upholstery fabric. You can get bolt ends for amazing prices. I used to upholster furniture. This fabric I got was something I used to sell to my customers for around $30-35 a yard.

Hi all,

www.quiltshops.com is a source for over 200 fabric shops online. You can search for a particular item or shop individual shops. I\'ve ordered from several of the shops online and have been very pleased with the quality of fabric and service. Give them a look. I don\'t think you\'ll be disappointed.

Becky

St. Charles, MO

• 3 years later...

I'm lucky to live in an area with lots of quilt shops nearby or within a day's driving distance, and lots of quilting buddies who like to go on escapades!!! When I have ordered online, it is because I need a specific motif on the fabric or something the locals don't have:

equilter.com

hancocksofpaducah.com

Thanks for bringing this up, Sylvia. I think this is a great forum for finding out what's out there and what sources are reliable or not.

Hello All,

I'd like to weigh-in on this topic. Although I sometimes buy fabric via the Internet, I try, as much as I can, to purchase from the local quilt shop. There are two others an hour from my home and I use them also. My reason is simple--if the local quilt shop goes out of business, I won't have as many quilts to quilt. When the local Walmart closed its sewing section, I saw a reduction in my quilt jobs. Some of the more mature ladies couldn't afford the quilt shop prices and were not adept at using Internet purchasing. I do what I can to keep her shop open. My customers see my shopping there and comment accordingly. I guess they think I have a shop in my basement. It's just a matter of shopping as locally as possible.

Well, now that I've added my two cents worth, I'll get back to work.

Have a great quilting day, ladies and gents.

Anette:D

Shop at local quilt stores, but also shop on line. Use Fabric.com, Hancocks-Paducah, QuiltHome.com and thousands of bolts. Have rec'd excellent service from all of these sources., Receive their daily or weekly e-mails and this has helped me to have a lot more fabric than I will ever use.

Fabric,com has daily and weekly specials. Also, free shipping over $35. Hancocks always has some items for less and occasionally free shipping. QuiltHome.com has daily specials. And I still go locally, because it is so much fun to touch, get ideas and keep them in business.

My DH thinks I should, perhaps, not buy any more fabric for at least 50 years. He might be right, but I will never make himn aware of that fact.

Happy shopping!!!

Marilyn

• 11 months later...

I really try to purchase fabrics at a local quilt shop, but it is difficult for the local shops to compete with the online prices. My two favorite online sites are Thousands of Bolts and one Nut and Fat Quarter Shop. Others have commented about Thousands of bolts and One Nut -- and said it loud and clear - great service, good prices, great variety and a great program to help with color selections and designs. With a click you can see all colors available in a particular pattern. Good sales are also offered.

The Fat Quarter Shop has wonderful fabrics and they are masters in combining fabrics for BOM and quilt kits. When ordered fabrics arrive, they are packaged like wonderful gifts. I have had excellent service from this vendor.

CiCi

Archived