What I've learned with this quilt

veg-girl

This is quilt number 3. My first was all over squiggles, my second had circles done with rulers.

When advancing the quilt take side stretchers off first because if you forget and walk to the other end of the frame to release them as the quilt is moving you may not get back to the off switch before your machine stops moving and you tear a hole in the quilt. (in the UK our motor advance has an on/off switch on the motor not a foot pedal.)

You can mend the hole (sort of) but it is difficult with a 7 year old top and no spare fabric.

post--13461898975644_thumb.jpg

Hey, very nice job. feathers are coming along, love the meandering on that background fabric, and the blue diamond design.. is that a cowboy hat, an asian gal with poney or pigtails, or?? I still love it.. the combo is just right..

Keep it up!

RitaR

And this is the whole quilt, sort of egyptian theme in the fabric, done as a round robin by 5 or 6 of us, borders were rather wavy as the whole quilt is borders, but it was a good practise piece. Used Soft and Natural batting which has quilted up a bit stiffer than I would like but then it does have a lot more quilting than I used to put in .

post--13461898977037_thumb.jpg

You are doing great. I am trying to learn the SID process and find I do better without the ruler as my hands do not know where they should be! I just follow the ditch nice and slow.

Give us newbies a year and we will be amazing.

I am still just drawing feathers, feathers, feathers and would not even attempt them on a quilt. You did great. Keep up the good work.

Newbies should be called PPP\'s.

Yvette, If you don\'t like that quilt I\'d be happy to take it off your hands.

Girl, that thing is beautiful, and your quilting is coming along nicely. You are doing just the right thing, trying stuff and making note of things that do and do not work. By summer time you\'ll be entering competitions.

Oh, by the way, I think EVERYBODY has a hard time doing SID

Looks like things are coming along nicely! Glad to see you making learning curve notes to yourself:P

It\'s so easy to make the same daft mistakes again and again. The trick is not to tell anyone about them - apart from your APQS friends - most non-longarmers think what we do is pretty clever so we might as well let them carry on with that opinion!;)

LINZI x

Unfortunately I\'ve been whingeing to all my classes about my struggles with longarming, they have had a blow by blow account of all my mistakes. I know I\'m a bit of a perfectionist when working for others but I have made quilts for lots of customers including the fabric manufacturers ( Makower and John Kaldor in particular) and I have always been fast , accurate and competant. To suddenly find I am back at novice stage has been a shock and sadly I don\'t have as much time as I would like to practise. But I am getting there, if not as fast as I would wish.

How do people become good enough to rent time on these machines? They must need to practise a lot before they start on their own quilts.

Off to Claudias next week where I hope to gain lots more tips.

Yvette:

If this is only your 3rd quilt, you\'re awesome! It\'s beautiful!

I\'ve been working on this since September \'07 and some of my stuff still looks like a little kid.... and like you, I was always soooo good at this stuff! I look at it as if it\'s a new job... the learning "curve" is a bit steep sometimes, but it\'ll flatten out soon!

I hope I am doing this right. I am brand new to all of this and just bought a used Ultimate I just before Christmas. I have been quilting on my domestic for years and love it. I found your post very encouraging that you could do this by your third quilt because the learning curve is pretty extreme, but I am reading and doodling and playing on the machine every day, so hopefully I will get up to speed. Maybe someday I will even have the nerve to put a real quilt on my machine.....

Yvette, I think you are doing great! Keep at it! I like to see us all just going for it and learning as we go...that\'s the only way it happens...make mistakes, take chances, don\'t be afraid and that\'s how we learn.

OK some things from my recollection from the seasoned quilters like Caron and Sherry Rogers Harrison regarding stitch in ditch: Try using monopoly thread in the top and a blending or neutral thread in the bottom? Also, turn your stitches per inch up to the highest it goes when using your SR and you get more control with the ruler work and SID. Give that a try. I just loaded a top (my guild\'s raffle quilt) that will require a lot of custom quilting and lots of SID which is good and gives me some practice, too. I\'ll share photos when I\'m finished, but I just got it loaded so will be at least a week before I\'m done with it.

Anyway, good job on that quilt and keep going, you are getting the technique down! :) Please share more photos of your quilts.

Yvette (veg-girl),

I think I love you.

This is so special to share your progress and let us all see that us other newbies are not the only ones not quilting perfectly yet.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

You say you are a perfectionist, but as long as you have the ability to laugh at yourself you will live a lot longer than the perfectionist whose afraid to let anyone see their mistakes.

You are special.

Good start! Longarm quilting is definitely something that takes practice and your expectations may be from what skill set you already have. This is another. You will conquer... and believe me, you learn something on every quilt! Keep up the great work.

Great Going Yvette! I\'ve had my Millie for 17 months and I\'m still trying to learn to do feathers the way I would like. Some people just have the talent.

I like your choices of quilting in the different spaces. Using the rulers does get easier with practice. :D

Archived