Batting Hobbs 80/20

I am fortunate enough to be able to drive to Quilter\'s Dream warehouse in 45 minutes, so no shipping. What great people, and what great products. I love Dream Puff for high def quilting, and have used all of their products. The wool is yummy!!! One thing I like about their philosphy is that if there is a product that is less than perfect, they do not sell it... good deal. But when I was down picking up some rolls in the van, I asked what they do with their seconds. Can you believe I ended up with a nearly perfect roll of dream puff for less than half price the wholesale? The imperfections were less tha you see in Hobbs best. Awesome products, all of them, and awesome company to deal with I used to use Hobbs, but have had some of the aforementioned problems, and the price is right wholesale on QD products, so I made the switch. Much less lint, much higher qulaity. All of their products was extremely well, too.

QD is going to shine on me.... just opened a package of Hobbs Poly down and it has navy blue puffs of something all thru it. Can\'t pick it out without picking a hole in the batting. Can\'t use it under the quilt I was planning to with 16" white blocks.. I am writing them and complaining loudly. Not only that but once I took it out of the dryer, it was more wrinkled than when I put it in, 10 min. before.. hung it over the roller to hang out and nothing is happening, even tried the steam. Virginia beach is about 175-180 miles, so it looks like we will be making a trip up to see first hand what I will be getting in something bigger than the 3"samples.. I think we need a night away anyway.. it\'s been a while.

I am sooooo disappointed in my experiences with Hobbs the last few months.. have used them happily for years, too.

I\'m sounding like a constant complainer and pray I\'m anything but that.. however this stuff is getting to me.

RitaR

RitaR,

Don\'t worry about being known as a complainer....that is my title. LOL.

Actually, I think it helps to share good and bad product experience here on the forum. First, because others will be aware of possible problems and second to let others know that they are not alone with their frustration over the quality of a product.

Sharing is a good thang.

Thanks Linda. Actually I think I\'m more bummed by not having a nice puffy batting for this particular quilt.. was told this was so much thicker than Hobbs 880/20 and Heiloom.. and it\'s not.. I really am thinking I\'ll put it on top of some Warm and natural and pick dark spots out and use basting spray to hold patchs on which I\'ll tear off the sides and sort of "stick" over the holes or thin spots. At least there wasn\'t any fluff in the dryer screen.. not even enough to wipe out.

Thanks again, and you and I will vie for top dog status of complainers, then. LOL

RitaR

Ok, I sent an email to Hobbs and within about an hour, if that long, a gentleman called me via phone.. He explained who he was, and how the spots got in the poly down.. on the 80/20 he had no idea...

He was very polite, explained everything very clearly, apologized profusely for the problems and is sending me two new packages of batting..

I appreciate their response.. and speed in which they replied.

RitaR

• 1 month later...

Hobb\'s was my batting of choice until I set up with Quilter\'s Dream. I only have my gas to pay, as I am about 45 minutes from their HQ. I have very little linting with QD products. Many people who said they didn\'t want Poly love Dream Puff.

Shipping is an issue as UPS has gone up so much, along with gas, etc. It\'s still a good value even with shipping. I have some friends in HI who order it. I think all of us ought to protect ourselves with every measure possible. When I am running my machine I am also running a HEPA filter under the machine in the room. It really sucks stuff out of the aid.

While I am on the rant about protecting selves, I use my noise cancelling headphones when working because, face it, we are running industrial machines.

Nurse Linda says : think about it.

I think the Hobbs in a roll is generally better quality.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Rita, I love Hobbs 80/20 but I also love Quilter's Dream 70/30. Comparable in price. I do not like and will not use again Quilter's Dream 100% cotton. It leaves bubbles w/the least little tug (aligning it up w/backing). I called the company on this, and though they sounded concerned, I feel nothing will come of it. I have several customers who brought packaged Quilter's Dream 100% and changed their minds to use either Warm and Natural 100% or Quilter's Dream 70/30.

Archived