first real quilting done

Hi all, I have finished my first real quilting project using my Ultimate II. I have a couple of old unsquare, poorly pieced tops that my mother gave me years ago. I finished one on my machine and it doesn't look too bad. I had fun experimenting with making straight lines using my ruler.

I have two more weeks until I go back to work, I wonder how many projects I can finish . . . .hmmmm?

post--13461897622791_thumb.jpg

hey, INSPIRATION!!! My mother left me 'quilts' that need finished...and I

call them "the ugly quilts"..they are not prettyat all...but maybe with some

quilting ingenuity and a NEW MACHINE (?) I could perform miracles.

The pic you show is of a pretty darn good looking quilt. Looks like you're

on the right track...how many quilts have you quilted with a long-arm?

This is the first quilt I've quilted on my longarm machine. Previously I was using the twist, turn, scrunch method on my tabletop Bernina. The results were not pretty.

The ugly quilt I posted is yellow, olive green, and brown. YUCK! The piecing was so un-square that I just quilted random diagonal lines that intersect at strange places. It disguised the bad piecing and added some dimension to the quilt.

I guess if we can't baffle them with quilting excellence, we can dazzle them with stippling, huh? It looks really great anyway..whatever you all did.

There are alot of quilts around that won't win a spot in a quilt show, but

are warm, friendly blankies and quite serviceable. I've made a few of them myself....

Well when we HAD to have quilts.. there was the wedding quilt.. and then the every day quilt.. those were tied as they were the ones that were used all the time... had a sheet blanket or old bed blanket inside.. Were heavy as a brick.. and not the prettiest either...

People didnt spend hours hand quilting a quilt to have it used every day.....

lol.... just ask my mom and she would have told you of the DIL that put the hand quillted double wedding ring in the play pen......... oh gosh she would go on for hours...

Archived