Learning: What first?

njquiltergirl

Hi.

I have a new Liberty and wonder where to begin.

Pantos, open stippling, templates, rulerwork, SID...we have so many options and such great machines. Where do you recommend a new longarmer begin to learn to control the machine smoothly?

I've had my machine a little while and feel like I may have jumped into the tough stuff too soon....some days it can be a bit frustrating...even though I'm loving it overall!

Thanks for any recommendations.

Lisa

Lisa,

For me I just naturally progressed toward those things that I love in a quilt so maybe if you think about it that way. The biggest thing that you will hear is ppp. You can pick something like panto\'s and just do them for a week. Get a bunch of charity quilts and that way you can kill two birds with one stone. I took all the pantos I had and stitch a row or two or two of them on a practice cloth and by the time I got to the end I was comfortable with pantos. In general I will try to pick one new thing to practice and keep reinforcing what I have alaready done. Take it one step at a time.

It\'s hard to get smooth curves, so practice doing cursive e\'s over and over in a row, then switch to c\'s. After awhile they will smooth out. Darlene Epps has some great books on freehand meanderings and fillers. My guild does charity quilts that are 6" blocks and I use those for my long-arm students. They pick a different pattern from Darlene\'s books and fill the square, then pick another one for the next square, etc. Before long they\'ve finished the crib quilt and tried out a lot of different patterns.

Good luck. This is a lot of fun if you don\'t expect too much perfection from yourself too soon.

Remember that a busy fabric on the back will hide your stitches...

Julia

• 4 months later...

Good ideas. I am new as well and have wondered how you all got started. I like pantos and am working on building a good supply of them up. Would you suggest a circle lord for a newbie? I have posted that I would like to buy one if anyone has one for sale. Sounds like alot of you have a CL. I love the effect in a quilt. I have 16 tops to do (all my own) and am thinking the circles would look really good in a couple of them. I put the felt stickie circle on my rulers when cutting pieces and that seems to help the sliding on them, maybe it would work good on the rulers when quilting on the LAs also. thanks for any input. I need all the help I can get.

Archived