I am WOMAN........

Jeanette

hear me Roarrrrrrrrrrrr!!! LOL, I finally had to do the dreaded T thing - timing the machine. I've had the machine for several years and purchased it used, never been timed that I know of. So after spending a day fighting with frayed and broken top thread and doing all of those things we do like re=threading, new bobbin, new bobbin case, new needles, check and buff out burrs I had to concede that the hook had a burr somewhere:-( Son Michael volunteered to come up and help as he knows all this stuff. So he drove up and spent half the day taking the hook out, showing me what to do, buffing bad spots and re-timing which took several attempts. He had no sooner left than she started it again. Okay, order a new hook but meantime I decided there was nothing to lose by me working on it. So from 8 am

until 2:30 pm the next day I took the hook out, put it back, repeat repeat repeat. Finally took the hook completely apart buffed and dremeled every place on it and started again. On the umpteenth try of timing I hit the right spot!!! OH YEAH!

She/he absolutely purrs, no more vibration or hammering, has never ran so smooth:-) BTW I think part of the problem might have been a gender identity crisis, 'she' is not a 'she' at all, 'she' is a HE! So no more Alice, now it's Big Al. How do I know this? Only a male could be such a Butthead!!

:o This last weekend I spent some time on moms machine, showed her how to time Al and declaired it fixed but that she needed a new hook soon,,,,,, well as soon as I left Al decided to pull the same crap again. With mom on the phone ready to, "put that piece of crap on the back hoe and digging a hole down by the creek and droping Al in it"!:mad: I convienced her to just pull his hook out and go for it, and was so proud of her when she got the timing right. I knew a burr was the problem and Big Al\'s hook was old and needed a real good buffing with the hook fully disassembled...Mom did it!!!!!! she spent several hours bonding with Al.... old Padawan you are now Jedi.....the Force is with you......:cool:

And BTW, Mom did roar....I heard her 65 miles away........:cool:

I know how you feel.....when in Nevada, I had Michael come and do the same thing after I let someone else use the machine and they almost kill the "Ol Girl" and themselves. After that I knew I couldn\'t yell for him to come running each time and I JUST KNEW I couldn\'t do it myself, so I found someone in Reno who would do it for about $75 each time....I thought I was getting a deal. As this guy would literally drop whatever he was doing and fix me and I would run home and back to work. WELL....let me admit something.....after I moved out here, in the move things got giggled and I let the machine sit for over 1 and a half years because A) I couldn\'t find anyone....B) I didn\'t have the money to send it back to Carroll, IA and C) I was to scared to do it myself.

OH, yes, I too have set through several classes on how to do this....but my machine is a bit older than most of yours and there is just enough difference with what I need to do that when he (Mark) would get to that part he would leave out my machine type\'s pictures because they are so old and there aren\'t enough of me in the class....and I am a picture type girl and I have to see it step by step.

I finally found a person who sold a step by step video that wasn\'t even my machine....but looked so much like my machine I felt confident I could do that. Then one more phone call to Mark to ask question and in up to my elbows I went. THREE DAYS and a zillion times trying, swearing and tears, and I can\'t even remember how may needles I bent or broke...I finally got it.

Mom I know how loud you roared......It does feel so good to know that I too am (Raise you hands over your head and say after me) "I\'m a Big Girl Now"

Archived