time to replace plastic on panto table

my plastic cover is torn up -- ripped to shreds!! i have it taped down everywhere as the carriage catches it on every pass... so my question is: i should purchase the replacement plastic cover or has anyone replaced it with something else? a few years ago i think i read that someone had replaced that plastic with plexiglass (?) panels and found they loved it... anyone else have this setup? suggestions? thanks in advance! charla

i have one of those... and i have it on my table, but i can\'t put anything under it (like a panto) because i have some ORIGINAL felt-pen drawn designs by myrna... i don\'t want to risk them getting rubbed out or erased... i may just get another plastic cover although i was never thrilled with the old one! thanks...charla

I purchased the pattern grid last year, my plastic on my table started to curl up in the middle of the table where it is split. How frustrating that was to try to do freehand and my carrige would catch on that curl. Or even a working with a panto, because I would be focused on the panto and not on the plastic.

I love the pattern grid for lining up my pantos etc, however, yesterday when I was loading a panto pattern I noticed a little split in my grid. Shoot! I am wondering if I should use my pattern grid as a background for my plastic and put the pantos in between. I hate the way the plastic is spit in the middle and curls, hate it, hate it.

Hi.

I\'ve been wondering about the Pattern Grid and was just going to order one but am now concerned about yours ripping.

Why did your grid rip? Do you place it on top of the two-piece plastic cover supplied by APQS?

Are pantos placed under the APQS plastic with the Grid on top of it all? Did the under plastic tear into the upper Pattern Grid plastic? Those things look like tough material, I can not imagine how it would rip.

Thanks for explaining!

Lisa

Liberty

As I stated before my plactic that came with the table (not the plexiglas, but the plastic sheet) kept curling up and causing problems with the machine catching on the plastic as I would go across the quilts. I removed the plastic and replaced it with the pattern grid. I believe the pattern grid is designed to go under the plastic sheet and when you use a panto you position it between the pattern grid and the plastic sheet. I may be wrong about that, I\'ve been wrong before :)

I have no idea why the pattern grid split, but I do know that I love it and am glad I purchased it. I would recommend it.

my pattern grid didn\'t rip, the 2-piece plastic that came with my machine is ripped...

ha! and if you knew the story behind my myrna-designs on the pattern grid, you wouldn\'t erase them either (don\'t know if myrna remembers)

jean: you have plexiglass on your table? that goes over the top of the pantos to hold it down?

I have not jumped in for a long time. I have to on this one just to see if anyone feels the same as I do about the "plastic" for the panto table. I took my "plastic" cover that came with the Milli off of the machine about a month after I got the machine. I never like the glare/second laser dot on the surface of the plastic. I put a patch of Scotch tape on the panto in serveral places where I want to hold it down. Then I use painters blue masking tape to hold the panto down. The Scotch tape protects the panto.

To line up the panto I set my edge distance at one end with tape. Then I lock the travel on the sewing head with the laser on an alignment line or center cross. Then move the head to the opposite side of the panto and set it with a piece of tape. As I float all of my tops using the sewing head to align the top my tops and pantos are alway matched.

I have one more little quirky thing. I took the cap off of the lazer and put a small piece of masking tape inside the cap and cover the hole. Then I use a pin and put a very small hole in the tape. This makes a much smaller lazer dot on the panto. If you do this and still use the plastic cover it will really reduce the glare from the lazer.

What ever makes life easy. Happy quilting.

For those of you that are having problems with the plastic curling in the center..I took one of those clear plastic page protectors and split it, then put it on top on the center where the split is and used clear packing tape to attach..this way there is no split and no curling and I can see thru it all. Worked for me, but my plastic is so old and is turning yellow and I need to replace, so off to Road to Calif today and maybe I can find the pattern grid.:D

I ordered the pattern grid before I did my first panto. I wouldn\'t do one without it now!!:D

It helped me line it up perfectly and I didn\'t have to make separate measurements because I just followed the grid that was already printed on the sheet. :)

Mine did rip a small bit when I was first taping it down on my table. :(

But I still love it!!

Good luck!

Hi,

I am a newbie but have to say I have had my pattern grid from my second quilt on and am sold on it....it is so easy to tell where you need to stop, you can alter the panto with a write/on wipe off marker and redo with no residue and it just makes everything so much easier with the increments marked out when doing the pantos and trying to figure out the side edges...it is just wonderful!! Denise

It\'s called ThePatternGrid and you can get it through Colorado Quilting Company (303) 646-9569. Their website is www.coloradoquiltingcompany.com.

I have it on top of my plastic but I put the panto under the original plastic that came with my machine. Good luck.

Charlotte

I took off the original plastic cover and use it to cut up shapes and or

templates. I love the pattern grid, have had it on there for over 4 years

now, no rips or tears. Even after un-taping it and moving the machine to my

house. Yes - really helps to line-up patterns and pantos under it.

:) Charla, Yes I seem to remember parts of it. I know you left the original designs in the airport in your patternRrid tube. But why are you still keeping the designs the PatternGrid? You need to be using it.

I carry the PatternGrids also for many one that may want on. I took off the plastic and then the PatternGrid stuck to the sticky stuff where the plastic was attached. Works like a charm. I did split it up the middle as I found it easier to put a panto under it .

Myrna

Myrna

Archived