late night quilting

It's almost 4 am. I wonder if I will ever sleep again now that I have the long arm. I wonder if I will ever clean my house again? Anyway, I was watching Fons and Porter today and Marilyn Badger was on and I liked the feathers she was demonstrating so I decided to try them out:

badger.jpg

badgermed.jpg

badgerdetail.jpg

badgerdetail2.jpg

I think it turned out pretty good. I'm loving my long arm to pieces.[:D]

I just have to chuckle. I thought I was the only one that stayed up late to quilt. I always told my husband I couldn't work third shift because I wouldn't be able to stay awake. Well now I am eating my words. I guess you can do anything at any time when it is your passion. There are times I start nodding off to sleep at my sewing machine or at Libby, my longarm.

ps. your work is spectacular. am I right that haven't had your LA very long??

Cindy

Absolutely beautiful Cheryl! What thread did you use? Is this your own quilt, or a customer's?

I am also a late night quilter. I don't really wake up until 9PM. LOVE to work all night, and would sleep all day if I could. Of course, that isn't possible, so I'm usually just short on sleep! ;)

Sometimes I really resent having to take time to sleep OR eat. The older I get, the more it seems like a colossal waste of time. :D

Thank you everyone! Being a night owl is in my blood. For as long as I can remember I have preferred to be up late which also makes me the queen of the power nap as well. I have been quilting since I was sixteen so I'm not exactly a novice but boy does having the right tools make a big difference. Hi Darlene, It is my quilt that I made specifically so that I would have lots of open space to quilt in. I believe the thread I used was king tut #906. And Mary Lou, I don't think you have to worry about your hubby chatting too much online he'll be too busy quilting like the rest of us night owls!:P

Well I have to put my two cents in now about why I chose APQS over all of the others. The most important reason for me was ergonomics and feel. I couldn't imagine having to hold my hands as high up as some of the machines have the handles (I'm short , 5'3") and have to push around a heavier machine on top of that. Second, After getting on several lists and just listening to what people are saying I deduced that APQS had the best customer service, which was immediately put to the test when I ordered my machine and we had a delivery glitch. They were on top of things and resolved it super quick. Third was bells and whistles! If I was going to invest a lot of money in a machine I was going to get the one that had the best features and add ons for the money (stitch reg., micro drive, automatic feed, etc). I am in love with my machine and have not regretted my decision. I think the fact that I am doing pretty good work after only a few weeks of having my machine is a testament to it's ease of use as well. Okay I will put away my proud mother speech now and just say if at all possible go to a show where all of the machine companies are present and drive them all and see what feels good to you. I went through two years in a row of playing with the machines at IQF for hours so when I was ready to buy I knew exactly what to get. If you don't end up buying APQS I'm pretty sure no one around here is going to run you out of town on a rail.:P

Hi Everyone

I like the ergonomics and feel, when done right. As it does when typing or sewing. It is a good idea to have that 90 (like a L Shape)degree on the arms to elbows to shoulder. To keep from developing problems and not bend too far down in the middle. It does help if the height of stand is correct. To do this, if you 90 degree angle and have hands at horizonal to table, Not up in the air or down too far. It could be a back breaker.

I just want to comment on the 90 degree angle. This is going to depend on whether you're at the front or back of the machine, since the handles are higher at the front.

At the back, when following a pattern, you want the weight of your hands resting on the handes, NOT gripping them tightly, AND your arms should be at a lower slope than 90 degrees. Otherwise, you put too much stress on your neck & back. Remember that at the front of the machine you are looking more forward, while at the back you are looking downward.

Stand up straight, yes. But the forearms need to slope gently downwards. You'll know when you've got it right. The hydraulic lift is wonderful for checking this out as you can change it with the touch of a button. If you don't have the lift, try changing the height of your shoe. Just an inch or two can make a tremendous difference!

Archived