Panto Queens HELP

JeriGirl

I have been doing panto's all day. First in SR then in manual. I seem to have more control doing them in manual but the stitches are not real even

. I did find if I set my millie to a very high speed that it is easier to control in SR.

What do you queens do when doing your panto's. SR or manual?

If SR, how high do you set the machine speed. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Hi Shirley,

I do qualify as a panto queen, mostly because I have well over 100 pantos in my studio. :D

I don\'t quilt on a Millie, I\'m sure you\'ll get others who do drive a Millie to ring in on your question.

I will tell you though, that on my current machine, I use the SR almost all the time. I cannot seem to keep a steady pace on my own. I set my machine to 10 stitches per inch and go.

On my APQS Ultimate I, without a SR, I found that it moved smoother when I ran it at a faster speed. The Ult I had speeds to 9, I think. I usually ran a panto at about 6.5 or 7 but there were some intermediate-skill pantos that were just too complex to run on manual for me. More points means more pauses and that always gave me fits.

I also found that my panto skills improved when I finger traced the pattern over and over. I would take a 2 foot section of the panto to work and every break I would finger trace it. I learned to anticipate the curves and to get in and out of points quickly.

I\'ll be watching to see what advice you get from others.

I think the faster speed on the machine must be the way to go if using SR or manual. I will trace over the panto with my finger, then let\'r rip.

I tend to go rather slow and try to be very precise and of course I am doing my practice on muslin with bright red thread and every bump in the road shows.

Thanks

I love the great panto designs, beautiful. They help me figure out good spacing for my "front of machine" work.

The other great thing about a panto, is that it belongs to you, not your customer. They won\'t even know you make a mistake. So if you stray off the line, ease back to it and keep going. Relax, don\'t forget to breathe. :D

Ok Linda, you have lost me.

How can a panto help you figure out good spacing for the "front of machine" work.

As you can tell, I have not even thought about how a panto would fit on a quilt as I am in the beginning practice stage of my panto career.

What are some of your favorite and easy panto\'s? I am looking at Flowing Feathers and Feathered Curls & Roses as I love flowers and feathers.

My freehand feathers are coming around as long as I do them up and down. Sideway feathers are still a dream.

Archived