Bouncing Chalk

jmcclannan

I think everyone experiences the bounce. I don\'t have any recommendations on eliminating the bounce but I (and some others) have switched to using Miracle Chalk (that steams away) in the pounce pad. It seams to stick better and then disappears with a good steam iron.

Good luck!

Tis the nature of the beast:-( It bounces!

I \'ve been using the chalk all day on a quilt, lots of stencils. I don\'t use the pounce pad because it just puffs it all over the place, but use a foam brush and sometimes a 2" stiff bristle paint brush. I am constantly stopping to clean off the needle, needle bar, and bobbin area with damp q-tips and I soak/run WD40 in the bobbin hook everyday after I\'m through using it. I resorted to using sidewalk chalk and scrubbing the end of it over the stencil openings . I have had a problem getting the pounce chalk out of the quilt in both the blue and the yellow colors. I am hesitant to try the newer version now. Maybe when they are washed it will come out but I hate washing a quilt before its\' been shown.

I can\'t ever get regular Pounce to work either. I like your name for it, "Bounce", becasue that is exactly what it does! I don\'t use it any more, instead I use Miracle Chalk. I had the same problem, too, that Jeanette had, probably using too much, but my machine would be a mess after using Pounce. At our machine guild meeting they suggested lightly spraying it with a fine mist of water....must of over misted, cause then I had a real mess. I hate making more and more messes and not getting anything done, so I went to Miracle Chalk - Love it!!

I find that Chalk sometimes really bounces and sometimes its not so bad. First off I cut it half and half with corn starch, then on the really really bad fabrics (it seems to be the fabrics that either grab it or it doesn\'t) I lightly spray hair spray or spray starch, onto the block and before it totally drys I do the chalk, then let it dry, and it seems to stick a bit better, the only thing is sometimes it does needs some help so brushing off is needed or it comes out in the wash. Also less is better than drowning it...so I too use the foam brushes.

Out quilting this afternoon and using the chalk again, I had a brillant idea:-) I did my chalk trying to use only what was necessary as always but then removed the stencil and used the compressor canned air on it. It blows away the messiest part of the chalk but still leaves enough outline to follow. No more bounce when stitching over it at least. You have to blow it from the side not straight down. Hope this helps someone else.

Loes, I do agree the spray chalk is a good product, but I didn\'t like the clean up that is needed after maybe three sprays....the coating that it leaves on the stencil was a huge build up and a HUGE waste as far as I was concerned.

Each time you spray you have a messy over-spray that lies on the stencil and after about three you have to wash the stencil off and start over. If the spray wasn\'t so wide spread and there wasn\'t so much coming out maybe I would feel it wasn\'t a waste of money. Yes, I got a queen size quilt out of one can, but when I can do say three kings with a packet of regular chaulk the cost comparison wasn\'t good in my thoughts.

I did try spraying from far away (18 or so inches) to closer up (8 to10 inches) and I didn\'t really see any difference. :( I really liked what it did and never bounced once, but it was the cost factor for me.

Ya know it doesn\'t stay wet that long....there is a lot of alcohol and if dries really really fast.

Some days I wonder if I even have two hands....and the one that seems to work has just been washed and can\'t do a thing with it.:P:cool:

Yepper, you can start the beauty this way....

All good thoughts, I do agree with Bonnie on the can of spray chalk - very

messy on the stencil!! I saw that and said - No thanks! I have found if I use

less, it bounces less, but I really want to try the Miracle Chalk. I just have

so much of this other stuff yet!!! I have also had problems getting the

yellow chalk, in the wheel holder thingy, to brush off a quilt - don\'t use it

any more.

On the Bounce Pounce chalk,, are you actually poucing it on the stencil, or lightly sliding it across the surface.. It shouldn\'t be bounced to put it on.

Second, I was cautioned very loudly by one, and in normal tones by several others to NOT mix the White and Blue in the same pad... It makes it very difficult to remove..

I actually didn\'t know there was a yellow.

RitaR

Originally posted by Bonnie

Loes, I do agree the spray chalk is a good product, but I didn\'t like the clean up that is needed after maybe three sprays....the coating that it leaves on the stencil was a huge build up and a HUGE waste as far as I was concerned.

Thanks, I can understand the messyness on plastic stencils, but... that is actually a very big advantage if you create your own paper stencils: it will in fact enhance the paper stencil and make it reusable multiple times :)

To create your own stencils with Pre-Design: draw a pattern, give it the right size for your quilt or block, print the pattern at actual size and use a tracing wheel to punch the lines of the pattern. Then carefully place the paper on your quilt, use the chalk spray. Now the pattern is transferred to your quilt. Not just any pattern: your own creation, yeahhh!!

See also movie on page: http://quilters.pre-design.eu/quilttemplates_longarm.htm

In this video the stencil was created by "sewing" the printed pattern with an unthreaded longarm, but you can also use a tracing wheel.

Loes

• 1 month later...

I am a total newbie. I have not even loaded my machine with fabric yet, but I did hear the quilter at a local shop say that she does not use chalk at all because of the mess. She uses Golden Threads paper (is that right?). I think she said she drew the design on this very fragile tracing type paper and stitched straight over it and then ripped the paper off of the quilt.

I obviously am not sure what I am talking about, but it might stir up some ideas from someone else...

Amy

I was watching Simply Quilts this weekend and saw one of the longarmers showing how to use chalk on stencils. Can\'t remember the quilt designers name? She dampened the quilt top, placed the stencil on the quilt and used a foam paint brush to apply chalk. She had the chalk loose in a bowl and dipped the foam brush in it, then "painted" the calk across the stencil. No bouncing chalk!

Archived