renting time on your millie what to charge

sewsew

I have a friend that has used my Millie before . She catches on quick and has quilted at least three quilts on my machine .

I made a deal right before Christmas , I was needing some two quilts bound and I told her that I would let her do her quilts on my machine or would do them for her . I think I owe her about 25 cents per inch for the binding. I'm stumped as to how much to charge her . I normally charge by the square

inch . I think she'd rather get charged by the hour . Any ideas or suggestions out there ?

Arby

I don\'t like per hour prices at all as one quilter is very fast, and others are considerable slower... the slow quilter gets the most pay, verses the fast quilter who may do a better job, or worse job. Try feeling her out on it and explain about the slower quilter versus the faster, and compare prices that way, too. She probably doesn\'t understand the variances which are available for an example quilt of 50 by 60 inches.. versus sq feet, versus per hour, and per min. I think if you are only talking of what to charge for the binding, stick to what you list.. and ask her to figure it out per inch, against the time it took her. and make a compromize if you need to.. I understand a lot of quilters won\'t even attempt to put borders on.

Good luck.. and it\'s an interesting topic, sort of in the barter side of things.

Rita

RitaR

When I rented time on a longarm (about 5 years ago), I think I was charged $25 per hour. Per hour, also aligns with the use of the machine and how much it is costing you per hour to not use it. She can then compare with your per inch charge for you to quilt it and decide who she wants to quilt it.

Donna

If I am reading correctly, you are trading with a buddy---she put a binding on for you and charges $XX and now you want to trade compensation by allowing her use of your longarm. I have seen $15 to $30 an hour for rental--the $30 was a computer set-up.

I agree that a per-hour charge is appropriate and that is what the LQSs usually charge. As a quilter\'s skills improve she will get more done in a shorter time, but the time the machine is not available for you to use is what you perhaps should charge for.

Bayside charges $15 per hour for rental of an HQ16 but I believe this lower fee is directly related to their hope that you will get hooked and purchase a machine from them! Two guild-mates of mine received HQ16s for Christmas this year and both had spent extensive time renting before purchase.

The great thing about it is that you are in complete control and can charge whatever you want to. I trade out quilting to several good friends for their piecing and binding expertise. Works great for all involved.

I would charge $25 an hour after they pay a nominal fee ($30?) for a class on loading, set-up, and stitching. You also must consider if the newbies need babysitting and most agree that you should be there at all times--you don\'t want your baby out of commission if someone destroys the bobbin assembly!! (BTDT)

We used to have an APQS dealer here and she rented out time on her machine. She required a familiarization class ($100) for the renter and then $25 an hour.

I used to let some of my girlfriends use my old machine. One was very resourceful and did not get flustered; the other one was excitable and paniced easily - lots of hand-holding was required. Sometimes, I figured it was just easier for me to quilt it.

I trade quilting with a friend who handbinds my quilts. I put the first side of the binding on while longarming it and she finishes it. We trade the equivilent of four kingsize bindings for one kingsize quilting job. I am a fairly fast quilter and do pantos or light custom work on her quilts. Since it would cost me about $25 per quilt to have it bound, her kingsize quilt comes up to $100 which is less expensive for her than if she paid cash. I am a fairly fast paced quilter and it works for us. Her binding and corners are exquisitely done. To me it is well worth it. I have let another friend \'play\' on my machine while I hovered but don\'t do that anymore. I won\'t even consider renting time on him.

I think we all need to read Suze Orman\'s "Women & Money" and go directly to the chapter on why we put ourselves on SALE, even to other women. She specifically talks about bartering and why or why not we should consider doing this with our businesses. We owe ourselves not to give our assests away for less than what they are worth. As women, we all like a bargain, but you don\'t want to sell yourself short. Your machine is a big investment and should be treated as such.

Now, after that, I think I\'d better go read that chapter again myself. I have to make a phone call to a gal I was letting use my machine for most of the year last year, for charity quilts, for FREE. :o gulp :(

Those are very good points Eva. I guess you decide your own "worth" but that female/please-everybody hormone is pretty hard to shake!

Tell me what you think of this-----

I was in the midst of the holiday rush when my group of six friends, with almost no notice, decided we should get together "tomorrow" for our Christmas get-together. I had made each person a reversible drawstring gift bag from pretty material a few weeks before but hadn\'t had time to do anything else. I left in a rush for a cute gift shop, purchased a $15 or so pretty gift to put in the bag, came home and printed up $50 gift certificates for each friend to use for a future quilt. I\'m thinking that was very generous since they all bring at least one a year. Five of my friends were thrilled. The sixth made the comment "Well, that took a lot of thought, didn\'t it." I was floored!

BTW, none of these friends work--two are retired, two are on SS disability, and two "don\'t need to work" so it is hard for me to get through to them that I may be too busy to drop everything and get together. Guess who has whittled her "friend list" down by one? I guess my "value" is going up a little!

Ya know, sometimes we use that word "friend" too loosely. I think we can have folks we hang out with and do a few things with, but a friend, to me, is someone I can trust and who is there at the drop of a hat if you need them. I think you should re-think your friend list and save those special gifts for those special friends.

As for renting out my machine. I just can\'t do it. It cost me way too much money, that no amount of training is going to let me turn my machine loose to just anyone. That being said, I have let the people I know that are LA\'ers use her and feel fine with that.

Originally posted by Mary Beth

Ya know, sometimes we use that word "friend" too loosely. I think we can have folks we hang out with and do a few things with, but a friend, to me, is someone I can trust and who is there at the drop of a hat if you need them.

Oh....no truer words have ever been spoken.

And a true blue friend will help you carry the body and if she/he is a really good friend they will even carry the shovel.

Well, not to be presumptuous here, but I consider all of you my true friends. I\'m closer to some of you than others, but I definitely feel that if I was in trouble you\'d "have my back" as the kids say.

One of my coworkers was talking about not having many friends at work. I thought about that, and decided that I have pretty much nothing in common with most of the people I work with. Therefore, they are co-workers or colleagues, but not true friends.

I hope that doesn\'t sound petty.

Oh, and Arby, to answer your question: Do whatever works best for you and don\'t worry about what others think.

Originally posted by chickenscratch

Oh yeah, I can see me and Bonnie and Judi and Linda R and Shana sitting in jail together. Gosh, I hope that\'s not a premonition or something.

Yah, I can imagine us all sitting in that jail cell together, but I hope that none of us is still holding on to that darned shovel!!! :o:D

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Originally posted by chickenscratch

Oh yeah, I can see me and Bonnie and Judi and Linda R and Shana sitting in jail together. Gosh, I hope that\'s not a premonition or something.

Yah, I can imagine us all sitting in that jail cell together, but I hope that none of us is still holding on to that darned shovel!!! :o:D

Well at least I\'m tall enough that I can hide it behind my back.....shhhh.....don\'t tell anyone I have it.

Archived