The Garden weeds are out of control and I don't care!

A big Hello from my new sewing room. Just got my Millie two weeks ago. Just got to really start her up this weekend. (My brother's house partially burned from a lightening strike..... what didn't burn is smoked.) I'm kind of new to chats, so I don't have pictures yet. I started with a two twin sheets (Wallmart $3.oo) but soon got bored. I got some preprinted panels at the quilt shop this weekend for %20 off, so I loaded up. I've done two already and they look pretty nice. Alot of little mistakes, but I saw an improvement from the top to the bottom of the first panel. I even was brave enough to try gold metallic. I'm a little confused about thread tails. Do you just cut them when you start and stop, or do you have to tie them off. I just cut them, and they seem to look fine, although the projects i made arn't for washing.

Hello, Littleshoes,

Sorry to hear about your brother's house, hope everyone is ok. Just got my Millie about 3 weeks ago and can't wait until I know what I'm doing. Liked your idea about the twin sheets. So far I have only been trying to get my motion in synch. I'm having trouble with panto's, seems I can't follow a line very well. From what I'm reading it's PPP. I have my free class on Aug. 11 and I can't wait, as I have a million "how do I" questions. If anyone has any suggestions on how to practice on following a line without making squared-off curves, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks Joanne:)

Hi there...I had the same problems following the laser light when I first started and a great quilting mentor of mine gave me a couple of good pieces of advice...lighten up on the grip while doing sewing, you just need a gentle touch....also, don't look right at the laser light ~ look ahead to where you are going. Just like driving a car - you don't look at the hood of your car, you look ahead on the road to come, right?!?

Hope this helps....Sandra :)

Hi,

Another suggestion to following a pantogram would be to turn off the stitch regulator. I found that I can follow the lines with better stitches and flows if I stitch in the manual mode. The SR felt too sluggish and didn't flow as easily when doing a panto.

Also before actual stitching the panto, move the machine through the pattern so you become familiar with all the turns, etc. in the pattern before actually stitching.

Charlene

advice on the curves....slow down and lighten up...when I was tense and trying too hard they looked 'choppy'...practice with a finger tip guiding the

machine. Go thru it several times with the machine not running...both

directions, right and left...do it a half-dozen times if necessary. Our bods

respond to repetition...let us know if we were all on the money for advice,

huh? Anxious to hear about your smooth curves...your guilts' smooth

curves...lol

a little birdie told me LITTLESHOES was new kid on the block. WELCOME..

and don't worry about that garden...mine is a natural disaster and you need a permit to go thru it...but when the tomatoes turn red you can find them....keep quilting. I'm waiting for me to make up my mind which machine to get..which brand....we live 40 mi. from Gammill, so that is weighing heavily in here, but I love what I hear about APQS...in the meantime, the old machine sits upstairs all alone....keep us posted on how that machine is doing....and what you're doing...

Hello to all!

I can relate about the garden. That used to be my passion until the Millie! I did go out yesterday and weed for about 8 hours on and off. It was finally a little cool outside, so I could make a dent in the jungle.

MaryLou: personally I would go for the APQS; you will not find the customer service better anywhere, they are totally awesome!!!

A little background about me: I got my machine in Jan 2005; I bought it used (very little); APQS has been very good to me even though I did not buy my machine directly from them, again they are awesome, just can't say it enough!!!!! I had it set up in my basement and did not use it much at all. I opened a store front 4 weeks ago tomorrow; I do long arm quilting there and the front room of the store is retail for many different items. A few antiques, vintage and antique sewing machines, Antler Art items that my husband makes, and vintage clothing. I have been using my machine daily since that time so. . . I am basically a newbie. I love this website. Everyone is very helpful and supportive!

Jhend: your class will be very heplful for you to feel more comfortable and confident with your machine, have fun.

I didn't mean to ramble on here, sorry!

Thanks to everyone and happy quilting!

Rblrder

Thank you everyone. This has been very instructive and validating for me. My husband, an extremely supportive person, found me swirling my silent machine through a wild tango and wanted to know if everything was alright. I explained I was giving the panto a couple of test runs.

He looked relieved.

Then this discussion started and I knew I was not the only one.

:D

Archived