Piano Key border

Laurie

I have a question: I want to do a piano key border on a customer quilt (busy fabric in the border).

I thought I would just mark the lines using my Pam Clarke line stencil.

I'd like to do the double line type - but I'm not sure how I would measure that. Would I mark every 1 1/2" and the just stitch 1/4" on one side of each line?

I've never done a border that way before but wanted to give it a try.........

What would be the best way to get the look I want?

If you have a ruler with lines marked just use that or put tape on it for your required width. Or if you can follow the blocks as a guide that works really well, for example just put a little chalk mark on the edge how far apart you want the lines according the the block. You can also use the longarm centering tape across you quilt for guidelines or any tape for tape for that matter.

Wavy lines look great and too and are a bit more forgiving if it will fit the look of the quilt.

Myrna

Hi Laurie,

I\'ve become the queen of piano key borders of late. I don\'t mark anything when I do piano key borders. I use a little 4 inch by 4 inch ruler(used for piecing) and use it as a guide for where to start the piano key. Then I engage whichever channel lock is appropriate and go. I find that my accuracy is much better when I don\'t mark.

The distance between the straight lines is up to you. I do the \'double line type\' by just moving over 1/4" after each primary line. I think this look really sets off busy border fabrics. Make sure that you consider the time involved in this type of border. The 1/4" accent can really take a lot of time, especially on a large bed quilt. I tend to do it more on wallhangings or on high end custom quilting quilts.

Jill Kerekes

I\'m really enjoying doing piano keys lately, too! Easy but attractive. And, I like the wavy line ones, too.

All I do is use a a cardboard sleeve from a package of gum and open it up flat, mark on the edge with a sharpie a couple of lines to show how far apart I want the keys, then hold it to the quilt as I move along. I don\'t know if this makes sense...so hard to explain things in writing!

As for the wavy lines...it looks really good on when done on the seam lines of an actual pianokey pieced border, like Myrna says ~ especially forgiving....especially when the piecing is not entirely straight!

Archived