What color thread?? Help!

Mary Beth

I need some help, couldn\'t sleep last night from thinking about this quilt. I hate that!!

This is the top and the back is black. I was wanting to using King Tut - Old Gaza...but not sure it would show up with all the pattern going on in the fabric. The bobbin would be black. But then when I get to the light areas on the qult, do I change thread? And if yes, what do I do with the bobbin??

post--13461899086955_thumb.jpg

In the black border I would do black thread, same in bobbin. If your tension is good enough that you won\'t have pokies I would go with the Tut or that blue jean gold color (can\'t think of the number); I think it\'s SoFine.

Whatever you use in the outer border is going to disappear anyway, the fabric is so busy.

Teresa, you are right about the borders and the thread getting lost. More than the borders, I am worried about the lighter/off white areas in the background of the blocks. What color do I use there?? And if I go with a lighter color of thread there, what do I do with the black on the back?

If you can do it without pokies, leave the black in the bobbin. If not you\'ll have to change up, and that will look funny. I don\'t think a gold or even Mother goose would look bad over the whole quilt. There\'s enough color in the pieced work that putting gold thread on the whitish areas will look like a highlight if you just line dance those squares and triangles. I\'m assuming you aren\'t putting a panto on it, right?

No, not a panto. I was thinking of doing something to push the white part back, so that the stars in each block are brought to your attention as well as the big star. Then quilt in the gold areas to push that part back so the corner pinwheels stand out. Outline the applique and do something in each border. This custome has mentioned that she like a varigated thread, but her qults always have lots going on and it\'s been hard to do that. I was hoping I could in this one and since I have this Old Gaza, it is all the right colors. She brought me 3 other quilts, maybe I\'ll just hang this one on the design board until I can come up with something.

I like the idea of the old gaza or whatever it\'s called, in the whole thing. You are both right on when you say that the quilting isn\'t going to show because the fabrics are so busy. I also like leaving it up on the design wall until inspiration strikes.

Enjoy the process, either way.

Beth

I have started a different quilt for now. I was all up in the air about working on this one, but the more I looked at it the more confused I became on thread color. Maybe I should just close my eyes and pick one and stop thinking so much....Thinking always gets me into trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

I have both, humm..Hadn\'t thought of that. I have to go back and fix one that I thought I had finished :mad: Then I will be starting this one. I just ordered thread from Superior and one of the colors looks like it could work on this. Time will tell. I will take a look at the monofilament. Thanks for the suggestion.

Archived