Minkie like fabric on the back (first post for me)

Let me first say YOU GUYS ARE TERRIFIC. I've been watching/listening for a while. You have inspired and amazed me. Need your quideance.

Just took in quilt that is oversized lap almost twin that has a Minkie like fabric for the back.

Any one have any experience using this fabric for the back? What problems am I in for?

Grateful for your input.

You just need to be careful not to stretch the fabric. I've quilted a couple of baby quilts with this material and I loaded the quilt tops and bottoms making sure that I didn't pull or tug at the fabric. I advanced the quilt manually instead of using my automated advance and it turned out fine. I used Superior maching quilting thread and SoFine in the bobbin without any problems. Just be gentle and you should be fine.

Let's know how it turns out.

Happy Quilting,

Minkie is a polyester fabric that is the softest stuff on earth. Do check it out at a fabric store (not all quilt stores cary it but the larger ones do, at least in my area of New England.) You may find it made into stuffed animals (there are patterns for it) or on bolts. COmes in a few colors, mostly pastels but also others such as black and dark purple. It is addictive stuff. Once you feel it, you can't stop!!!

I have just finished quilting my fifth baby/kid's quilt with Minkie on the back and it worked up great on all. I haven't yet quilted the Minkie that has the "dots" on it, but I assume that would be fine too. I agree you want to watch out for stretching it too much, but I didn't find that I had to be too careful.

On the quilts I made, I also made binding out of contrasting Minkie material (because you KNOW how babies and kids love to rub the edge of blankets on thier faces!) I will try to attach a photo of a bug jar quilt I made with black Minkie on the back and blue Minkie trim. The quilting gets a bit burried on the back but it's best to use thread that matches as it may show in some places. I used King Tut thread on my last two Minkie quilts and it worked great.

I will say, however, that Minkie is very "snowy" when you cut it so be careful if you need to cut the backing to square it that you shake it out well afterwards or you will have tiny bits of "fluff" all over.

Hope this helps. I'm hoping to make a minkie quilt for myself some day!!

Sara

Hi,

I haven't quilted with the Minkie fabric but it feels so soft and cuddly. Felt it would make a great robe to cuddle up in the winter.

How do you move the take up roller to advance without the automatic feed. I can move the other two rollers but can't move the take up. There have been times that I would like to completely move it manually but couldn't figure it out.

Thanks,

Charlene

I just finished one last week. One of my customers gave me some minkie & said, just put it together & quilt it front & back. I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into at first, but it really wasn't that hard. I was afraid I would have tension problems, but much to my surprise, it wasn't hard at all. It is VERY strechy, so just be careful in advancing the quilt. One of our local quilt shops can't keep enough of the fabric in. She has such a wide selection of colors. I have a feeling I'll be seeing more of this extremely soft material.

I have seen the Minkee fabric in the stores and think how great it feels but never thought of putting it on the machine in a quilt. Just to be nosy....how much does it sell for in the States? In the places I've seen it here in Ontario it's been well over $20 per yard! I imagine that would be $15 - $18 USD. In my area, I don't know anyone yet personally that has used it, maybe it's been available down there a little longer. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and give it a try....especially for an edge like Sara mentioned (never mind the kids, I might like that!!!)

Sandra :P

Archived