brand of machine decision...

Some of you already know that I am cruising the market for a new LA..I have a shortarm older machine right now and

need something that is more 'trainable'....

I have researched all of the brands that I find advertised in the quilt magazines. Went to see the A-1's in Springfield, Mo., the Gammill in West Plains, Mo., the Nolting in Harrison,

Ar., trying to find an APQS close enough that I can go do a little hands on play time..closest I've found so far is 200 miles.

What I want from any of you? If you have owned or used

any of these brands of machines..and could compare them

to the APQS you now have...would you send me a private U2

note. (I don't think it would be nice to do it on here). That

way you could say whatever about the machines.

I want to compare ease of operation/support staff/reliability of the machine...are we busy threading/re-threading, etc.

or timing and re-timing? Price isn't that big of a point...I know it's going to cost me to get a good machine. But this is a once in a lifetime purchase and I have to make sure it's the

absolute RIGHT ONE!

Really appreciate any help from you gals!

ML

Please feel free to discuss any other brands and their advantages/disadvantages on this board...it helps many other quilters who come here looking for the same information and it helps us (APQS) become a better company.

If you want to post anonymously email apqs@apqs.com with your comments and I'll add them without your name/identity.

Tad

APQS.com

Hi,

First off, where do you live? I went to MQS for two years, tried out machines and had decided what I wanted. At that time I wanted an APQS but was not handy and I would have had to install it myself. Now, thankfully, you can arrange to have them install it.

But anyways, I also went and talked to different owners about their machines and tried them out. I found that to me much more valuable as the individual owners can tell you what they do, and how it works.

I bought the Millenium and couldn't be happier. It has surpassed my expectations and is only limited by my abilities.

I also started with a short arm. Just sorry that I just didn't jump in with a LA in the beginning.

The ease and learning curve were minimal. The big difference is I am not limited so much for space for stitching designs as I was before and I can finally learn to do feathers.

Good luck,

Charlene

MaryLou,

Where are you located? My door is always open to come test my machine all you want here is Southern Utah. You are already off to a great start by testing the different brands. You have to get what feels right to you. Their are great machines out there, each has a different feel. I owned another brand for several years and didn't think I would every change, then I touched a Mille at a show one day and it was love at first touch. Yes, I will tell you I am now rep for APQS. We have a wonderful product that is relilable and progressive, a staff that is ready and willing to help you out in anyway we can. Our Tech support is a phone call or email away. They know the machines and are super friendly. This message board is another great tool for you . Everyone is willing to help, answer questions, and share ideas.

For me the ease of movement was the first thing that was WOW for me. The operation of the machine is sweet. They are work horses. I like the roller set up, everything is visiable for adjustment if needed. The table doubles as a great light box if you need one. Once the quilt is loaded I never have to worry about my backing. It is smooth each and every time I roll the quilt. The advance feed is so handy. Tension is very simple, only one tensioner to adjust. Threading is a snap. NOT to say that I never have a thread issue, however it's rare and is the thread or me 99% of the time. The Millennium has a bobbin winder on the machine if that is important for you, along with a built in bobbin thread cutter. The handles for me is a neck and wrist saver. The controls are the same on the back as the front. I love that I can sit and quilt. The controls are at my finger tips. As far as retiming the machine, it's easy to do, HOWEVER you should NOT have to retime the machine, unless you run over something like your scissors, rulers, pins and really jam things up and damage your hook assembly and I know you aren't going to do that. We quilters never leave thing on the quilt when we are quilting :o Everything is easy to change out should you need to . It's as simple as unpluging and repulging .

We now have the CompuQuilter is that is of interest to you now or in the future. It is awesome and easy. If you want to ask more question feel free to give me a call, my numbers are on my website.

Myrna

Mary Lou,

I live right outside Cape Girardeau, MO (This is an hour and a half south of St. Louis right off Interstate 55)... You are welcome to come and test-drive my Millennium. By the way, I started out longarming on a Gammil Classic Plus for 2 years and then switched to A1 Elite for 3 years, and early this year I bought my Millie!!!! I just can't say enough about the APQS flawless tension and the awesome stitch regulator!! Truly, my millie is amazing!!

Please feel free to call me if you want more information.

Tina Collins (573)576-3160

http://www.applecreekquilting.com

Hi there...I was able to go to the Creative Needlework Festival in Toronto and try out the different makes of machines. There were three or four of the major companies as well as the smaller models that you set your own machine onto. I gave them all a try that day and can say that the APQS machine felt right to me right away. I think it was a big benefit to be in a place where you could have a look-and-feel in the same place and compare. If you are able to do this, I would jump at the chance.

Sandra ;)

Mary, I'm not sure where you are but it sounds like you are probably not far from us. We are located in Lee's Summit, MO (a suburb of Kansas City) and would love to have you come visit our studio. We have a Liberty, Freedom and a Millennium for you to test drive. We owned another brand for six years before switching to the Millennium 3 years ago and still feel that we made a great decision. :) We also found that we liked our Milliennium so much that we became a dealer 1 1/2 years ago. John (my husband) is APQS factory authorized for repair and service should that become necessary.

I went to an APQS roadshow with my husband (get on the mailing list, or talk to someone at APQS about the schedule). If you have any chance of coming to Atlanta (excuse for a weekend away), you are welcome to stay over at my house and play with my Liberty. So much fun, so easy. This machine has been an absolute joy to work with, and I'm so glad that when I requested information from the other companies, that they didn't respond...think of all the time I would have wasted!

If you have any questions, talk to anyone of us (I'm not on APQS payroll), and I'll be very honest. Any problems I've had were "user" related or thread related...an were resolved immediately upon changing threads (my favorite is bottom line).

Cynthia Willard

U R FABULOUS!! I want you to know just how much I absolutely do

appreciate you taking the time to help me with this decision.

We live in the Ozarks right on the Arkansas line about 90 E. of Springfield, Mo....Lee's Summit sounds feasible as 5 of the kids live in the KC area.

Cape Girardeau seems good...it's just a days jaunt and back...we'll

definitely get one place or the other and try the machine.

The next item on the agenda is getting a new total knee. Have to get that

accomplished and then tackle getting a machine in here. I could no way

have a new machine up in the studio and not be able to get up there to

see it...so have to get partially healed up at least. I figure before

Christmas I'll have a Millenium in my studio...wagers anyone. And this is

still sight unseen...time will tell.

I liked the little Nolting Hobby machine if it just had the stitch regulator...

it was a gem of a little machine and priced so right! And could use my table. But I need the stitch regulator, etc. And that would ensure that I

don't over-extend and think I can do quilting for a living, if I had the hobby machine. Also need to find out about the binding machines that I was

shown at one shop..absolutely wonderful..and I think of all the hours I sit and sew by hand, Have to have one of those machines.

I really don't know if I'll ever have the confidence to take in quilts to do for

strangers....scary! If I can just get mine done and keep current here, I'd be hapy. I'm already over 30 quilts behind.

Again, thanks gals, and if you think of anything you forgot to tell me, p lease just jot it down here, okay...

MaryLou...appreciate you all!

Hi Mary Lou,

Hope all goes well with your surgery!!!

I had surgery almost 2wks. ago, as I fractured my elbow!

I am doing amazing well! I think determination has a lot to

do with the healing!!

Anyway, one thing maybe you might want to consider would be our new sit-down machine! Although I guess it doesn't have the S.R. o.k. maybe that isn't an option, it is a

great machine for people who would rather sit, or who need to sit. Has a nice table and you run it with a foot pedal which sits on the floor!

Anyway, it was just a thought, may not help you much!

Good Luck!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived