Learning Control

I have a Liberty and I am excited. I have plain meandering pretty much down, but I tried to follow a stencil and my hearts are slightly recognizeable. I would call them primitive. Any advice on what I can do to gain control and get my figures to look like they are supposed to. As I practice I want to make sure I am doing it right. Thanks -Kathy

PRACTICE!!! And lots of it! Try not to hold the machine too tightly or have your body stiff with trying to control it. Relax. The tendency of the machine is to go sideways and forwards and backwards, not round and round like we want it to go. It just takes practice and loosening up. Before long your hearts will look more and more like hearts.

Hi

Hearts are one of the hardest things to do, just relax and have fun - one day you'll get on your machine and find you've mastered them. Feathers are the same. One side will be better than the other. I find when practising, if I say half heart half heart to myself as I quilt I form a better shape.

Sue in Australia

It helps if you don't try to stay *exactly* on the line you are following (tends to make me stiff and tense) and also if you think the shape as you do it. It may be a form of hypnosis, but if I think "round" as I do the curve of a heart, it often comes out that way. Good luck! ;)

thanks for all the great tips - I did some more and they are better. Thanks for letting me they are hard and I won't be so hard on myself. I will relax and let them be. this is a gift quilt and I know she will love it and all the imperfections. -Kathy:)

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning....

Speaking of feathers....oh my. I have had my Liberty a couple weeks now and I seem to want to practice those silly feathers all the time because I love them so much. I will have to say, they look a lot better than they did in the beginning. My biggest problem was that I couldn't figure out how to start or where to start. Then I saw an illustration in a book by Carol Thelen called LONG-ARM MACHINE QUILTING. On page 81 she gave a great illustration on where to start, etc. Another problem (well I have a lot of problems) is after I make the spine and come down one side it's hard for me to stay on the spine when I go back up to do the other side. But I'm amazed at how it seems to get better, but right now it is a long way from where it should be. But it's fun learning. About the time I would get discouraged, I would make a fairly decent one and feel good again!

• 3 months later...

Am I the only person out here who has trouble seeing through the head? I stand to the side and cant make the shapes, I stand in the front, and can't SEE where I'm going OR the shapes, I lift the table. and can still only see a little way off. I bend down and look through the front and make strange shapes, all sorts of things. Is there a "right" place to stand? (I feel really dumb asking this, since I have yet to see it on the forum anywhere...)Any tips would be great!

As most have already said, it takes practice. I still have the first pattern I "quilted" with free motion on my domestic machine. It was suppose to be a topical fish but it looks more like a jelly fish lol. I keep it around to remind me of how far I have come. I'm still in that learning curve on the long arm. At first it was discouraging for me to be back at step one so to speak but I've come a long way on the long arm now as well.

Like the others have said, try to stay relaxed and look ahead of the needle to where you want to go. It's kind of like driving a car.

Holly

Hi Ladies,

You all are being way hard on yourselves. Remember to just relax, let it happen. The best way to practice is on paper. I can't stress that enough. Get the design and the rhythm of it in your head. When you go to the machine you will know where to start, where you are going and how to get there "most of the time" When you don't you will know how to fake it:D When you first get your machine you need to learn the way your machine feels, how it responds in regular and stitch regulated mode. Get the feel of circles just by doing simple loop. When you want to go round think round, when you want to swoop, think swoop. Daisies are kinda like tear drops. Feather are half hearts. Heart are question marks.

Following a pattern is like driving. You watch ahead look to see where you are going, not where your hood is. Moving the machine is like learning to ride a bike. You have to remember to push the pedals, steer the handles and watch where you are going all at the same time. Before you know it you are off like the wind. Practice your designs on paper, get used to the feel of your machine then "just do it" . You know can and how awesome it is to look at what YOU have just done. Taking classes is important. You learn lots and see others are learning just like you. Not to mention a lot of fun.

Myrna

Or, be a child or have a child's mind. They seem to be a little more relaxed than us older folks. My 12 year old niece was playing on my machine, and has never used it before, and without following a pattern she made several perfect freehand crane's. They are so good I'm cutting them out of the practice piece and making them into a pillow.

If you are following a stencil and want to make a perfect curve, use your ruler to stabilze the foot on the machine. It helps guide it where you want it to go. I had problems at first doing panto hearts, they were very primitive.

To make better feathers, draw them at night while you're watching TV. If you can draw them, you can sew them. I really like Nicole Webbs videos on freehand designs. She shows about 4 different ways to do feathers. Fun and easy. Her website is White Horse Quilting Studio.

Hi Robin

I'm not sure what you mean by the cross bar - do you mean the handlebars?

I'm going to move my light today to behind the needlebar - I think some others have done this. It will give more visibility on the Liberty especially.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Sue in Australia

Hi Kathy,

Ditto on Myrna's comments. For me, drawing before I "get to the needle" has been a great help in gaining control (if that's the right term - maybe ease or confidence would be better.) A teacher told me when I first got my Millie that if I could draw it on paper my brain would tell my hands what to do - who knew?? Anyway, relax.... it is the best advice. One of my most helpful practice tools is a nifty 11 x 14 whiteboard and marker that I got at Wal-Mart for about $5. With the board, pen and a little wad of poly batting for an eraser I can doodle all night while my DH has the channel on "boring TV". It certainly is alot neater than the paper I had strewn everywhere with scribbles on them by the end of the evening.

Someone else may have addressed the "where to stand" issue, but here's my two cents. When doing a panto I am much more confortable and find it easier to see the work when I stand to the left of the machine and drive with my right hand on the left handle and my left hand on the take-up roller. When I try to drive behind the machine I have a hard time seeing the work and the laser (I'm a shrinking 5'3"). When I am driving from the front I try not to "grip" the handles with both hands, in fact I prefer to do most meandering with one hand.;)

just some thoughts.

happy quilting

georgia

Hi Robin

I didn't get to moving the lightbar today. I could have moved it on the Milli but can't see a way to do it on the Liberty because the lightbar and handlebars are one complete unit. This sounds like something for Mike to think about over the holiday break - just kidding Mike.

When I am quilting close to me on the Liberty I take a few steps back from the rollers - just enough that my arms are still bent at the elbow.

You could also try raising the table a few inches to give more visibility but I'm not sure if this would be comfortable.

Sue in Australia

When doing pantos on my Liberty, I've had good success standing far enough to the left to have a good view of the pattern, holding the left handle with my left hand, and the back of the machine with my right. It's physically comfortable and seems to help keep my lines smooth.

Alayne

Archived