Was I too honest

I had a lady named Joann call me this morning. She has been following my posts on this forum,and she called to ask me if she should quit her job and get into the longarm business.

She lives in another very small rural community in WEst Tennessee, just like I do. I tried to tell her that it could be done with the support of a local quilt shop, people willing to pay what you are charging, and a good customer base; but I know what I said to her was discouraging to hear. It was even discouraging to me when I was telling it to her.

She said she would think about whether or not to buy the machine and call me back to let me know what she decided.

If this lady had lived in another location, and had quilt guilds and fabric stores around her, then I would have told her to buy the machine and take a shot at it.

As it was I told her she needed to do some research, try to build a customer base, visit local shops to see if they would give referrals, etc. (All the same advice everybody has given me).

I could hear the disappointment in her voice as I talked to her. So now I\'m wondering, was I too brutally honest with her. I would rather give her the honest side of things than give her a sales pitch. I wish I had gotten more honest facts before I had jumped in with both feet.

So, do you think I was too hard?

Joanne, if you\'re reading this... it can be done, depending on your location, guilds in your area, fabric shop support, economy of your location. BUT, for me it has not worked so far.. and your town is very similar to mine.

I think you told her exactly what she needed to hear (even if it wasn\'t the answer she wanted).

This business is not always the easiest one to get up and running and if she goes into it with only 1 eye open then she could end up very dissapointed in the end with a very large "elephant" as a source of tension in her life that requires a monthly payment to be made.

Always better to be honest in these situations that way there is no false sense of reality.

Teresa, No I would say you weren\'t to harsh with what you said. You were being as honest as you could possibly be. If you had told her something like yes, go for it and then learned that she was in the same situation as you are you wouldn\'t be able to live with yourself and then we would have to be picking you up for hurting her even more....:D.

If I had been in her shoes, I would much rather have had you tell me straight up how it was with the area than have you sugar coat it and then find out myself it just doesn\'t work.

Yes, Joann, Teresa did give you some very good information to go by...it does all depend on how much you want to put into it with research, how the quilt shops promote you, and how you handle yourself when you get good enough to go out and promote yourself. And even worst yet, being prepared to handle the nasty customers and the ones that no matter what you do or how you do it, it just isn\'t right and you can\'t make it better. These ones are far and few, but if you get one, they can tear down any customer base you have in just a short time.

Good luck in deciding...its a wonderful business if you can handle the ups and down that COULD be out there.

Teresa, I think you did the right thing. My business has pretty well pooped out here in Ohio. The good thing

is I got a sweet deal on my longarm. I\'ve made enough to pay for it.

SOOOOO I think you did the right thing. Money is tight for people in my area right now. Times change.

Michele

Teresa,

I\'m with everyone else here. You did the right thing, even if it was hard both to give her the info., and to receive it. Maybe she\'ll decide to take a chance, but she\'s still had some good info. from someone who\'s in the field, and in the same area as her. Best of luck to you both.

Beth

Teresa,

I think you did the right thing. If she continues reading this site, she will see the ups and downs many quilters are having with their businesses. Certainly not everyone is short on business or customers, but it seems the economy of their area and the community support really contributes to thriving vs. surviving, or just plain calling it quits.

After reading this site for several years I understood this aspect of starting a small business, so I decided there\'s a good chance that I won\'t even try it. That doesn\'t mean I won\'t purchase a LA. It means I need to have the money ahead of time (or at least enough so the balance of a loan can be made without a financial hardship.

After I get my LA, practice, etc, and get an idea of what guild members and the LQS staff say to me, perhaps I might go through the process to start a business. That is still TBD down the road. And, I won\'t be quitting my full time job to quilt (I would like to, but I\'m too realistic to do that). I also don\'t want to pay more in taxes and accounting fess and insurance, so that I am in the hole more by having a business than by just quilting my own tops and using the LA as my special big girl toy.

Just my humble opinion.

Sandy

Before anyone makes an investment in one of these machines (new or used), there\'s a lot of research to be done. Unless you have the funds available to buy your machine outright, without making payments (even to your DH!:P), you\'ve got to be able to cover the expenses somehow. Or decide that this is going to be a potentially expensive hobby.....

Before I invested in my Millie, I received several very valuable suggestions. The first was to call other longarmers in my immediate area and pick their brains: Why did you get into this business? What would you do differently? What brand of machine do you have? What kind of projects do you do? What do you charge? What is your lead time? Some of your "competition" may not answer honestly, but all the ladies I talked to seem to be straight-forward with their answers. Their answers will help you decide whether a longarm business is viable in your area.

Another suggestion was to rent time on various longarm machines, for a couple of reasons. First was to find out which one(s) suited me personally, since each brand is a little different from the others. Of course, the Millennium is far and away the very best!:P:P:P

Another reason to rent before buying is to find out if this is actually fun! My DH was really worried that I would get bored with doing the same kind of thing over and over. He had no idea that every project would be soooo different from the one before.;) It was also good to find out whether I could physically tolerate the standing, the repeated arm and shoulder movement, etc. Many of the used machines we found were being sold because the owner could no longer physically do the work.

All that being said, this has to be one of the most challenging and fun things to do in this world, while still being legal! Joann, if it\'s what you want to do, go for it! Just know that if it doesn\'t work out, you might wind up having to sell your machine for a loss, but the APQS machines seem to hold their value very well, so the price is a small one to pay for a big step towards the future, IMHO!

Teresa - Honesty is the BEST policy.... If you had sugar-coated

everything and made it seem so great, then what? With out

knowing her full financial situation and such, I know I would

never make it if I had to make payments on my machine. I do not

want to work that hard at it and "beat myself up" to pay bills.

I want to have fun and enjoy what I do, I really think it shows in

my quilting too. I do not charge as much as I should probably,

but hey - its my time, my business, my hours, my life!;)

And I am enjoying it!!!

I would suggest to Joanne that she make a business plan for herself. The core of a business plan considers four questions: What service or product does your business provide and what need does it fill? Who are the potential customers and why will they purchase it from you? How will you reach your potential cutomers? Where will you get the financial resources to start your business? That\'s the formal idea of a business plan, many people start out in the field of dreams "If I build it, they will come." :P

Janet Mohler

Colorado Springs

Hello Teresa,

You cannot sugar coat an answer to a business question. I have found all Longarmeres to be supportive and giving, but above all else, they are prepared to tell it as it is.

As Bonnie put it, how much hurt would you experience if Joanne started her business and it then failed.

She will do her research and find out whether a business is viable....... only she can way up the pros and cons as it pertains to her area.

I am lucky that I could buy my machine without any debt (although the mortgage didn\'t thank me!! :P ) and I too will start a business, but I am not rushing in and anyone who is dependent on the LA as an income might find things tough going whilst the economy is not as boyant as it perhaps was.

I prefer an honest answer anytime.......... it allows for a considered decision. You did Right by Joann to tell her the situation as it is.

Teresa, this is how I handle difficult sticky stuff like this: I put myself in their shoes and ask the question:. Would I want to know Teresa\'s honest opinion? Sure why not! Remember now, you did not insert your unsolicited opinion -- she called you and asked what you thought. Absolutely you did the right thing. Unless you have established a customer base already don\'t expect to quit a job with income and make the kind of money quilting right off the bat. Building a solid quilting customer business takes time; sometimes many years to get up on step.

Teresa, as someone who bought the machine, gave it a spin and had to sell because 1. my situation changed drastically, and 2. the economy sucks right now for this industry here, you gave the exact right answer. Thank you for being honest because that is what she needed to hear. Not one person sugar coated this to me, but my situation changed and I had to change with it. Maybe in a few years, I can swing a Lennie and get back into it. Thanks again, take care. Renee

You did the right thing. Reality is hard to stomach sometimes because usually we WANT one of these machines so much that we can\'t get out of our own way. The purchase of one of these machines can put someone and their family in a very bad financial pickle---so being totally honest can potentially save a family from financial disaster.

It is much, much easier to tell people what they want to hear. We all have a moment of happiness when we tell somebody a sunshine and butterfly story---but how would you feel if you had not been brutally honest and later found out that she bought a machine and was completely miserable? You would probably feel a bit responsible, right? You did the right thing.

Jill Kerekes

Sorry but I have been a lurker so long and not ever signed up to post. I was a bit discouraged by our conversation. But I am a real believer in that God answers direct questions with direct answers. I called the lady with the machine for sale and made her an offer. I really never thought she might take it and when she said yes I felt I had found the answer I needed to hear. I have just enough money saved to buy it. This lady is so nice and I really feel lkie I am getting an awesome quilter and a new friend. I am going to be a while learning how to use the system but I am going to charge the same 1 cent per inch you told me. I really love to do this. I am just not cordinated enough to use the old machine I have now. It was great to learn the basics on but now I want to be able to actually quilt for the public. I am going to call you back as soon as it arrives and we will talk agin. Don\'t be worried. I am glad to have gotten my new quilter even if I only make them for myself. JoAnna

Yes, JoAnna, God does do wonderful things and if this is your direct answer "Bless You".

When you get your calling from higher up it means a lot....I got mine this way also...I was working and didn\'t know how I was going to finish all the quilts that were piling up and I was let go from my day job three days later. So you can see I am a true believer that we have a purpose in life, BUT I also feel that we have to put forth efforts, it all just doesn\'t land in our laps.

Where you have enough money to outright pay for the machine that is so good...a bunch of us weren\'t able to do that and that is where most of our stress and strain comes from. Not knowing if you can make your payment or where the money will come from, not paying a bill or not putting enough food on the table. This may not seem like much, but it has caused many to hardship, divorce, and even letting the machine go to another home.

Being able to quilt for the public sometimes isn\'t all that its cracked up to be, but it sure is nice to be your own boss, and come and go with flex hours. I wish you luck in whatever venue you decide, personal or business quilting....it is a full filling craft and you will have many many tales to tell and we will all expect to see pictures as soon as you get up and running. ;)

Joanna,

I\'m very glad you were able to get your machine. I was so afraid that I had discouraged you, and reading what you said above, it seems that I did.

I certainly didn\'t mean to do that, I just wanted you to be able to make an informed decision. If you do decide you want to talk again, or if you want to get some kind of guild started or something, call me again.

I would like to ask if the lady you got the machine from was in business, and if she was is she going to send you her referrals?

Good luck learning the working of your new machine. I\'ll bet you will love the stitch regulator.

• 2 weeks later...

Teresa,

You did the right thing. It is important to realize that it takes a lot of effort on the marketing end to make a quilting business succeed. Wouldn\'t all of us love to hear that it just takes a love of quilting & a machine. There are more ways to make a quilting business sucessful even if you live in a rural area & even if you don\'t necessarily work in conjunction with your LQS. There were already 13 longarmers in my area when I started & I also knew that I wanted to primarily concentrate on freehand & art style quilting, as well as I didn\'t want to take part in the \'pricing game\' that would put me in direct competition with many of the gals that also longarmed. So I went to the web with my business. I knew I needed a broader market than our local area.

It is important to note that there are a lot of people that really just want a reason to justify the purchase of a longarm & think that "going into business" is a way to do it. I would probably be on that list when I started, but quite honestly they need to step back & think about whether they would be just as well to buy the machine & do what they like in their spare time vs. making it their career. While it can be a blessing to take a hobby & be able to turn it into your career, it is also very hard on the enjoyable part of the activity some times. Important to be realistic about what that means when you do this. I love my quilting career, but honestly I have to say that I hardly ever quilt for "fun" as part of a hobby any longer. This is not a big deal for me. I have tons of hobbies to take it\'s place in "down time", but for some people quilting is the only hobby they have & it can be a reality check when you turn that activity into your job.

Hey Jessica!!!

Teresa and Joanna-

For the record, I didnt have a client base, zero quilting skills at all...none. Got my machine, practiced on the muslin they set up for me when the machine arrived and turned the sign to "OPEN FOR BUSINESS".

I didnt know how to do a panto.

I didnt know what a bias was.

I didnt know what a miter was.

I went to the library and got quilting books, and tried to quilt like the hand quilters in the books but on a longarm.

The only reason I was able to quilt for customers in the beginning was because I didnt tell anyone I was clueless.

"act as if you are a pro"....came in handy.

I did lots of acting at first....acted like I knew what I was doing when I didnt. Pretended to be a quilter, when I had never pieced a top in my life.

It was the scariest time of my life....BUT I DID IT and am thrilled to say it all worked out in the end being self-taught.

Some of the scariest things in life, bring the greatest rewards.

Make some business cards up - carry them in your purse, and drop them off everywhere you see quilters. Its pretty easy - let the rest just "happen".;););)

Hi,

I agree with Jess, it is not as much fun doing this as a job as it would be for a hobby, and i am having a heck of a time getting customers.....I think Teresa was right to be honest.....this has been a really hard couple of months for me with no quilts coming in and have decided to take a job again as I cannot stand being at home alone so much.....I am a people person and it is really hard to be home all the time. I love my machine but am starting to resent it as it is not making any money for me right now. Quit a lucrative but stressful job in October to do this and wish someone would have warned me ahead of time....would have taken a different job or tack....thanks for letting me vent....it has been a hard couple of months.....Oct, Nov, and Dec. were busy though, and it was fun then, but am getting disillusioned......Denise

Denise,

Keep in mind, January and February are typically very slow. I don\'t know if Christmas spending slows down quiltng or what, but that makes sense to me. It can be a lonely profession with only your longarm to talk to. I find myself singing into anything that looks like a microphone. And if a really good song comes on the radio, I have been known to back away from my Millie and do a dance around the studio - while no one is watching of course:D. I get bored easy! I have joined a quilt guild that meets during the day once a month, so that helps, even if I don\'t talk much, I see some of my customers, and I see people in general. Have you thought about selling quilts. I have been getting ready to re-launce my web site and in researching other sites notice that a few quitlers offer quilts for sale. Some of them are prices rediculously low, not sure they are doing anything but covering price of quilting. But that is an option. I would say hang in there, but I know it is difficult. Keep your chin up girl, things should start turning around with sping in the air.

Archived