Compuquilter

Lesley

I'm interested in hearing from the quilters with Compuquilter added to their machines. How are you going with them?, are you having fun?, are there any problems you have encountered.

I have ordered a Millenium with Compuquilter but have not seen it operating and would like to hear any feed back from you all. I'm excited and worried it's a huge investment for me.

I was the first person to get the CompuQuilter retrofitted to my Millennium. I am still learning all the ins and outs, but I have quilted 4 quilts utilizing it. I have found that most of the designs that come with it are not ones that I can utilize.:( I have purchased several designs from Deb Geissler (www.designsbydeb.biz ;)) and a set of Jodi Beamish panto designs that Dee Dee Townzen had digitized and has been authorized to sell. Linda Lawson from www.blueribbonquiltco.com has also digitized some wonderful designs and I will be purchasing them from her soon.

I have found that you have to turn things on in a particular order otherwise things don't work properly. Also, I have found that when using advancing the quilt onto the take-up roller, I have to be sure to turn the two "run" switches off. If I don't, my Millie starts to run all by itself and sometimes when I turn my Millie on, my thread cutter starts going crazy. I sometimes think my system is possessed but Stan and Dee Dee told me things are okay.

I am still a newbie with my entire system and I am still in the learning stages of everything, but the quilts I have completed are okay - nothing fancy. I brought them over to my LQS yesterday (they have a Gammill Classic Plus) and were amazed at my circles and the fact that my stars actually had points and didn't look like starfish! I did tell them that I had help from the CompuQuilter.:D

The one thing I do need to do is practice more free-hand things. Quilts I have seen using computer-aided stitching usually have lots of fills and other enhancements that are not done by the computer. I haven't gotten that far yet:(

I know that when you get your system you'll love it. I did have a fight with mine the other night trying to get the design where I wanted it, but I finally won:D. I said to my husband, "it sure was easier when everyone was hear teaching me how to use it." With practice, it is getting easier and better.

Let me know when you get your system.

You can see 3 of my quilts in the "Quilted by Sue folder (pictures are not all that great) at http://community.webshots.com/user/bodaciouscreations

Thanks Sue for your feedback, I had a look at all your photos they were great. I've been reading the manual each night so I'll be prepared when it comes ;), it's always easier when there is someone helping you and guiding you through things.

I did workshops with Dawn Cavanagh & Diana Phillips at our confrence here a month ago and they gave great classes,I learned alot from them so I've bee practicing the techniques they shared with us I used to do mostly panto's now I just love Line Dancing and the fills and thrills and doing free motion and going with the flow.

I have also been drawing patterns to practice in Autosketch, I have a brochure on Debs designs and will purchace some of them & some of Linda's as well, I'll check out the others as well.

Hi Lesley and Sue

I'm glad you both posted about the

Compuquilter. I was meaning to start a thread on Compuquilter soon if no-one else did.

I got my Compuquilter in June but have had my Millie since they first came out so have only had to learn one new thing which is good. I'm having lots of fun with it and although I haven't completed one quilt yet, I have quilted out a lot of the patterns that came with Compuquilter and have digitised my own. I can't believe how easy it is to digitise. This is something I thought I would never master! I've purchased some of Deb Geissler's designs too and am waiting for Jodi to complete hers.

I haven't really had any problems using my Compuquilter and haven't experienced a problem with the Milli stitching as I roll on but my thread cutter did cycle the other day and I found out that my 9 pin plug wasn't in the socket securely - this might be your problem. The one I am referring to is in the black box at the back of the machine. (email me privatley if you need me to explain that better - I have flu and am a little lazy in explaining properly - I think).

My favourite feature at the moment is placing designs in blocks. I love how you can type in the start position and set it so that it goes from one block to another quilting the design just where you want it. I believe the Boundaries feature will be out very soon and then I think this will be my favourite feature.

I'm so glad I got my compuquilter!

When I do a real quilt I'll post some pics.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

After my last post, I got to thinking how bad it was to have had my Compuquilter all this time and not have a completed quilt - so here is my first one.

I chose Meander from "Repeat Patterns" and sized it to 6".

This quilt is only very small 38x32". I was given the top a few years ago by a lady I quilted for. She had made 6 cot quilts from the same fabrics and this is a miniature version of those. I think I meandered them too but not with the compuquilter.

Sue, I did a U2U to you the other day regarding your thread cutter. I didn't want to bore everyone on the list. Since you haven't seen it, I'll paste my question to you here.

Sue, can you explain a little further about what connection you found was loose. My husband and I checked my Millie and couldn't find anything. Do I need to open the back of that black box on the back side of my machine? Do I need to go into the power box? There are so many cables, I don't know where to look.

Thanks,

Hi Sue

I'm sorry I didn't get your U2U but here goes.

Well I did mean the black box at the back of the machine when I said I plugged the 9 pin in their. Afterwards though I think this is not what fixed it.

I am sure now its the sequence in which I turn off the machine at the end of the day. I think If I don't turn off the switches on the front panel, then the machine on/off that the needle positioner doesn't complete its cycle and wants to do that first.

So I have been:

Flicking the switches to off

Turning the machine off

Then the motor

Then the computer

You could give it a go.

Have you been having fun this week? What have you quilted?

I completed 3 quilts. Two really large ones for the Tsunami Appeal and a very small crib quilt. When I manage to post pics to this site I will.

I have been sourcing designs and there are a couple who are learning how to convert their designs to Compuquilter so that will exciting when they do. I have also dabbled in drawing up my own - nothing fancy.

OK I'm wasting time on the computer when I could be do much more fun stuff.

I believe more Compuquilters will be shipped very soon so we'll have more company to chat with.

Best wishes

Sue

Lesley, I have a CompuQuilter and I feel the rates should be the same whether you are using the CQ or using hand-guided sewing. My reasoning is this -- your customers don't care what method you decide to use for the quilting (they will always choose the least expensive method). You are using the CQ because you decided you wanted it and maybe you can do things that wouldn't be possible using the hand-guided method. The customer is only concerned with the results - not the method of accomplishing the result. It is up to you to decide the easiest and best method for you. If you charge by the square inch, your rates should be the same per square inch as if you were doing it without the CQ. With that said, if you are doing more complicated designs, then your rates should reflect this but the rate should still be the same for this type of design whether hand-guided or with the CQ.

Let your customers think you are wonderful and can do all these wonderful designs, etc. utilizing the hand-guided method. They don't even have to know that you use a computer;)

Lesly,

No, I do not believe I should raise my prices just because I have a computer-guided system. Here's why I (personally) feel this way:

I had been longarming for about 4 years before I got my CQ. The very last quilt I did prior to having the CQ installed was a double wedding ring with 81 identical motifs to mark!! Needless to say, the next DWR I did with my CQ was so much easier!!! I can't even begin to tell you all the time I save by NOT having to mark quilts anymore- not to mention what $$ I no longer spend on blue pens, circle maker attachments, templates, etc.

Plus, if I am running an all-over pantograph pattern on my CQ, I can also sew or embroider while it is quilting each perfectly executed row. Now that is too sweet!!!:P

I also should add that just because you run a CQ does NOT mean you lose your avenue for unique creative expression in your quilting. I usually draw my own design motifs and used to have to trace them onto the quilt, and then resize them if I wanted to use them in a different quilt down the road. With the CQ, this is a breeze because you only have to digitize them once and you have a unique design that is all your own to use forever; and instantly in any size or proportion (you can stretch, rotate, flip each axis, skew, whatever) you desire!!! I also never have to worry about my quilted designs being exactly the same from one area to the next when quilting identical inset motifs, borders, sashings, etc.... Oh How many times I ripped out before I had my CQ because one quilted design was a little wonky compared to another beside it:mad:??? LOL!!

Soooooo, I never considered raising my prices because the CQ actually saves me lots of $$$ in other areas. Matter of fact, sometimes I *almost* feel guilty for charging the same- But I got over that!!! LOL!!!:P;)

Whoops!! I should clarify that I do have different prices for each type of quilting (pantographs, custom, heirloom, trapunto, etc.) catagory!

I just want to make sure no one (especailly NOT my clients!!;)) believes I charge the same for running a pantograph pattern as I do for an heirloom quilt! :mad::P

Thanks Sue & Tina

I realy hadn't given much thought about some of the things you brought up , ie: will use cheapest quilter anyway, time and effort vs cost saving to quilter etc, least of all the time savings on no reverse stitching(unpicking), My opionion has now changed so thankyou for your input.

I realy enjoy having someone to bounce ideas off and getting other opinions, I have been busily drawing my own designs & waiting patiently (not) for my system to come.

Lesley,

I do not own a Compuquilter but hope to in the future. I had the privilege of assisting with a set up this week for a customer. It is so wonderful! There were a few mistakes in the manual. From my understanding Compuquilter has up dates on their website for corrections to it. It works beautifully and is realativly easy to use. Like anything with practice it becomes more easy.

You'll do fine, it is a great investment.

Cheryl

Well I finally got the call, "Miss Lily" will be on her way this week sometime:D.

Sue has been telling me how easy it is, and how fantastic, and how much fun she's having. I can't wait to have some fun with it as well:).

I figure I've got 3 weeks to get my A into G and get the studio reorganized.

Hi Tina, Cheryl, Lesley, sue

I enjoyed reading the reasons for keeping the same rates as with hand-guided quilting, especially from Tina's comments on how much she saves on blue pens, and time spent marking.

I'm finding I don't have enough time in the day to do all the things in my head that I want to achieve with the Compuquilter, apart from quilting. I really want to spend more time on the drawing of designs just for the fun of it, but my 16 year old son wants to earn some money so he's offered to digitise for me.

I've been looking through patterns I already have and quilting books I own and have found designers vary greatly on their copyright statements. More designers than I realised are happy for us to copy and resize their designs and save them on our computers so long as we don't go into mass production. I'll be getting my favourites from those designers digitised first.

I just bought some great patterns from Linda Lawson - www.longarmchat.com, Designs by Deb www.designsbydeb.com (I think), and Pattern Station.

There does seem to be a great shortage of simple designs like Drifting Leaves, Daisy Chain etc. The only simple one I have found is Surfs Up. Tina do you know of any simple (and therefore quick) designs? Do you ever buy designs Tina or do you draw your own designs all the time?

I'm glad Compuquilter is getting more "chat" here so we can share what we already know (Tina - who has heaps of experience) and the rest of us new Compuquilter owners/wannabees. It will be fun to learn together.

Best wishes

sue in Australia

Originally posted by smorris

I am sure now its the sequence in which I turn off the machine at the end of the day. I think If I don't turn off the switches on the front panel, then the machine on/off that the needle positioner doesn't complete its cycle and wants to do that first.

So I have been:

Flicking the switches to off

Turning the machine off

Then the motor

Then the computer

Sue

Hi, I do not own a CQ but in very former times when programs used to run with DOS, the first thing you learnt was

Switching on: First the computer, than the connected hardware.

Swithichong off: First the connected hardware, than the computer.

I stick to this for more than 20 years (oh my gosh !! I never realized that time) and never have had major problems. Perhaps this helps.

I do enjoy getting information on CQ, so I am well informed when I will get mine one day.....

Hi Sue!!!

LOL!!!:P Of course I buy CQ designs all the time!!! Linda Lawson says I am her best customer!!! LOL!!! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE "Designs by Deb"!!!! :D

So far, the "simplest" CQ designs I have seen are the ones by Richard Larson, digitized by Sandy H., which can be found at http://www.compuquilterpatterns.com. I am guessing there aren't a whole lot of simple designs just because the CQ makes it so easy to do intricate work that most people look for the complex patterns to purchase??? I never even thought about there being a need for more "open" ( and quick to quilt) CQ pantograph patterns- I'm so glad you brought it up!!

I do have a ton of my designs and I will be trying to get them all ready to sell here in the near future... I will definitely keep in mind to add some simpler ones in the mix. I guess because I am a heavy quilter by preference, I did not even consider that there may be other people who prefer less dense quilting.... Big DUH on my part! & Shame on me!:( Thanks a bunch for bringing this to my attention !!!;)

As far as more CQ conversations.... I think there will be a lot more chatting real quick!! At least from me, that is!!:cool: Now that my husband is nearly recovered from his back injury and surgery, I am hoping that my life gets back to normal very soon---- Which means I will have more time to play around with the CQ (instead of just quilting customer quilts to make up for the loss of income while he was unable to work!!!) Oh Thank Goodness!!! I have *really* missed my "play time"!!! :D

Tina, I can't wait for you to post your designs. I love my CQ but not the digitizing -- I'm buying designs:D Please keep us informed as to new designs. I'm glad to hear that Anne Bright will be digitizing for the CQ. We definitely need more designers digitizing for us.

I quilted a rail fence wallhanging this weekend using Deb's Baptist Fan design. It was a little challenging for me but overall I'm happy with the way it came out. From a distance the quilt looks great.;) I am in the process of putting on the binding and then I'll post a picture to my webshots album. I haven't yet figured out how to post a picture to the board.:(

Sue,

If you look at the top right corner of your message's text box, there should be a blue button that says "edit"- Click on that. (This edit box will only be shown on your own message posts) It will take you to an edit page containing your post. You can either make changes to the text or delete the post completely. I use that edit button all the time because my fingers don't move as quick as my thoughts!! LOL!!!:P;)

Guest Linda S

Does anyone know if you can buy a CompuQuilter without the computer? I have a very high-powered laptop computer with a huge hard drive and lots of RAM - can't see any reason why I would really need to have another computer. I'm not quite in the financial situtation to buy one just yet, but it would be interesting to know.

Linda

Archived