GREAT CLASS AVAILABLE ONLINE

I listed this information in another area in response to someone interested in starting their own quilting business. Quilt University (www.quiltuniversity.com ) has a class starting September 3rd for 3 weeks online called "Running a Professional Quilting Business". The class is $31.00.

The class is taught by Carol A. Thelen, the author of "The Complete Guide to Choosing, Using and Maintaining a Long-Arm Machine." This has been my bible from the moment I knew I wanted a longarm.

I have taken many classes from QU and I highly recommend them. The teachers are very talented and the online format is very effective . . . and lots of fun. I have met quilters from all over the world. If any of you take the class please report back and let us know what you think.

HAPPY QUILTING :D

• 4 weeks later...

Leslie - Did you take the EQ5 class at quiltuniversity?? Did it really teach you? Are you comfortable with EQ5 now?

I took a 4 hour class at my LQS ($40!!) and the instructor simply stood in front of us and read the book one item at a time! (Then of course had to spend 10 - 15 minutes helping people with their laptops in between steps). We got through 3 1/2 lessons in the "getting started" book. It was so disappointing ..... I learned nothing and am now more frustrated than before. Jeepers! I could have just blocked out time on my own and done that much! But I digress.

sammi

Sammi,

Yes, I actually did learn alot. I'm pretty good at reading instructions so I had done most of the "getting started" exercises. I just couldn't get past it being a fancy paper and pencil.. you know draw a line here, draw a line there... This class was tought by Fran Gonzales and she did a great job of helping me think "outside the box" and see how a tool or technique could be used. A big focus was how to analyze a block so you could draw it. What I liked best is that the classroom opened on Saturday and will stay open for a while, so I could do the lessons on Sunday or when I have time. Fran is also very good about answering questions or problems that you may have. QU offers lots of different classes on EQ5 This was just beginning in EasyDraw.

Linda, I don't mean to butt in, which class are you taking?If it is a Quilt University class, you can work on the lesson any time after it opens until the classroom closes (Usually more than a month later) I printed off each lesson for my EQ5 EasyDraw class, partly to have as a "forever" reference,, but also so I could do the lesson without swithing between on-screen pages of QU & EQ5.

CoffeeNQuilts,

This rookie welcomes all ideas and opinions.

The EQ5 class is actually in my town's quilt shop. The instructor, Sheila Williams (I think) travels around to various shops here in Southern Callifornia. The class is all day Saturday. She even supplies the laptop with EQ5 installed ($20 to rent) for the class if you do not already have one. I am so looking forward to it.

That quiltuniversity EQ5 sounds good too. I've taken classes before and didn't understand something but did not want to slow others down with 'dumb' questions. I really like the idea that you can go back again and again. Im going to have to look into that.

Thanks for your advice.

I have taken many classes from Quilt University and have loved every one of them. I took about 5 classes from Fran Gonzales on the various elements of EQ5 and now I teach the software at my LQS. There are too many to list here but every class has been well organized and went well beyond my expectation. They only use the most qualified teachers, many of them are published and/or award winning artists. Here is how the classes work:

Classes are published each month for the following month (and sometimes beyond). After you sign up you will receive a password about 3 days before the class starts that will let you access the online classroom. All classes begin on Saturday. There is a discussion forum where you sign in and "meet" the instructor & other students. You download your first lesson and do your homework throughout the week. Questions are asked through the forum and it is important that you read all the dialog even if you don't have a question yourself. This is where lots of interesting ideas and suggestions are exchanged. My teachers were all very good about answering questions at least twice a day online. Students also have the option of posting their work on the Quilt University website for the teacher to critique.

Every Saturday new lessons are released for download. The lessons for EQ5 were excellent and explained not only how to do something but gave exercises that would make you comfortable through repetition. The other classes I took were equally as good and the lessons were exceptionally well written. It is a great way to take a class with a teacher that might otherwise not be available to you. And the costs of the classes are extremely reasonable. Once the class is over the forum stays open for 3 weeks for latecomers or those still working on their studies. The teacher is available throughout this period of time for all your questions, etc.

Hope this helps explain a little about Quilt University. It's a great place to take online classes from talented teachers and "meet" students from all over the world. And best of all, it's fun.

Happy Quilting :D

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

QU has a free class starting November 12 if you just want to give it a try and see if you like taking classes on-line...it is a lecture class but it is worth it to see if you like doing things on-line...then they go on break until after the holidays. Just thought you would want to knowsoyou can check it out and plan your classes. :)

Archived