Help... I am trying to get set up to actually open for business and have been completely overwhelmed by THREADS... I have started getting an idea of the size and fiber I like (or that my machine likes) by trying out the samples that came with my Freedom and some cones I got for my own quilts. But, what colors shoud I stock to start??? Are there any sure things? I am asssuming white and/or beige are pretty safe. My big concern is it takes about a week to get an order, so picking from the color chart is possible, but if the color is wrong, then I've lost another week (but I do have that cone for next time). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Pop the cash for the actual thread sample cards!!:P I bought every one of Superiors' and every other brand I might use here and there. I have found them to be an absolute necessity!!

When I first take a quilt in, I check the threads I have in stock... and if I don't have exactly what I need on hand, I can refer to the thread sample cards (usually while the client is there) and get some ordered before I have to quilt it. The dye lots may possibly differ minutely a little over time, but (knock on wood- hope I am not jinxing myself....) I have never had a difference big enough to be noticeable.

By the way, I hardly ever use white thread (unless it is on stark white fabric). I use a lot of blender colors like King Tut's Olde Golde, Reed, Flax, Bedouin, and I could not live without the Bottom Line- Yes, I have "almost" every color!!

If you and your machine like Superior So Fine thread, color # 407 is a really good blender. Instead of "white", I'd get 402. It's nearly white but not as stark. The color cards are an excellent suggestion. They're very helpful. If your machine has a bobbin winder and you use it, get two cones of each color you order. You won't regret it.

I agree I have the color charts....... the actual thread looks so much better than a print off... light affects the colors of the printed cards.

My UltII doesnt like bottom line....... sigh...... she (Susie) just will not adjust to it....... so I gave up.

I like the Maderia poly var. if you want the thread to shine.

and there the color to have for sure is 1603

it blends in and works nicely with lots of colors.

A word of caution about the thread cards. I have the Superior thread cards - they are great, but be careful ordering any colors that marked "New". For some reason Superior re-uses their numbers when they retire a color. I just got my thread cards in April of this year. A couple weeks ago I ordered some of the Rainbow line. I thought I was getting thread in the red color family, instead it was blue and tan variegated. At first I thought my thread card was defective because 2 thread cones were not what was on the cards. Superior exchanged the cones for me (even though I bought the thread somewhere else) so I have to say their customer service is GREAT. I just don't know why they re-used the numbers instead of retiring them?????

Those of you who have older thread cards are at a disadvantage because you won't even have the "New" warning on your cards.

Deanna,

Thanks for the warning!! I buy new thread cards every year (usually at or right after MQS) to make sure I have the updated colors and also because my old cards get worn. After reading your post, I pulled out my cards and saw that only the Rainbows thread card had "new" colors listed??? I wonder if my other Superior thread cards are older versions??? Does anyone else have thread cards for bottom line, sew fine, or king tut that have "new colors" listed???

I guess I have just been lucky so far as I have not had this happen to me..... but it is sure nice to know about Superior "re-using numbers" so I can verify the color when I order the thread!! I appreciate the heads-up about this potential problem!!

Thanks for all the info. Gee, another reason to go shopping... how awfull... And I've already learned (the hard way) to always order 2 cones per color. My first quilt was a huge quilt for a friend and I would load all the bobbins I had... re-thread the machine, quilt, load more bobbins, re-thread the machine... you get the picture. Up-side is I am really really good at threading the machine LOL

Guest Linda S

Get yourself a good selection of the basics. I think one of the colors I use most often is Mother Goose. I did originally buy this color thread from Signature (100% cotton), but have bought other threads of similar color from Superior. I particularly love Superior Bottom Line. Another color you might consider it the "puke green" seems awful on the cone, but it's funny just how many things it looks fabulous on. Of course, I'm a thread junky. I have metallics, polys, cottons, variegated, plain, etc. It can get to be an addiction.

Linda

I am a huge fan of Bottom Line! Oh, and the varigateds are yummy too. Plan on hitting some of the shows and give yourself a hefty thread allowance. Mark a sample card so you have a list of what you have, if a customer wants something "different" you can always order it (and charge the customer - it's a special order!).

Good luck...

Cynthia

If you can use Aurifil thread (my machine's favorite), Darlene Epp (www.longarmsupplies.com) has a wonderful assortment in the Starter Pak Collection. I purchased it almost three years ago, and mainly just keep replacing those same 24 colours. I have added other colors, but these seem to work well with almost everything when you are starting. #2910 is my favorite "puce green".

Archived