HELP!!!!

Hi guys,

Boy did I get a doozie of a quilt top yesterday. The border is about 2" to small so I have a D cup quilt trapped inside a too small border. I have starched and steamed it to the point where I got it on the rails ( I am floating it). I have completed 4 rows of heart swags and it has taken up some of the fullness. I am making sure I am bring any fulness in the quilt to the rows I am working on. Making sure I have straight lines all across the quilt top roller. I am looking at the bottom of the quilt and I see the corners are pulled in. I am steaming every time I advance the quilt. My question is is there anything I forgot to do to make this quilt come out ok. The customer knows there is a problem but does not have any more fabric to add to the border. Any help or advise would be a great help.

Sincerely,

Nora

You all have probably covered this question...but when you have a quilt like that, and do all you can to tame it so that you can quilt it. What happens after it gets home and let\'s say it is washed? Does it cup back up? I realize that the starch method works well to get\'er done...but when you wash the starch out what happens?

Mary Beth....to answer your question, YES AND NO....it all depends on how much quilting you put into the "D" cup. If you have a fluffy block and you only do a bit of SID then there is a chance it will fluff back up, but it will NEVER be as big as it was. And if you stipple the day lights out of it or some other background fill it will NEVER fluff back up. So it really depends on how you treat the problem at the time of quilting.

Cup size got you in a dither, did your quilt peak up like one of Madonna\'s cone bras?

Quilt augmentation or reduction classes need to be scheduled on a regular basis..... I had a hateful quilt once with the above type thing going on,,,,,, I found the wonders of Spray basting after a good wet dose of Sizing dried with a iron.... I slipped a small ironing board between the batting and top, wet it down with Sizing, ironed and then used the spray basting on the batting and top both,,,,,, :):cool:;) Boy did it flatten out that D cup and looked pretty darn good after the quilting puffed back up....oh yea, stippled 1/2 inch apart.....;):cool::);)I don\'t know what will happen to your quilt after washing:cool::cool:

This is perhaps too little/ too late, but if the customer knew she had a problem and you saw the problem immediately, just because she was short of border fabric doesn\'t mean she fudges it and sends it on to you hoping you can perform a miracle.

There are many border and setting books that have lots of solutions for borders--she could have used cornerstones, pieced blocks in the center of each border, extended her piecing into the border, used two different fabrics for the border, on and on. Exciting things can be tried and it adds a lot of interest to the quilt.

Just a thought that is too late to be helpful!

Archived