The Middle-Man - What's your Opinion?

I got a call a couple weeks ago from someone about an hour away that had been to my website. She had 2 lap size t-shirt quilts she had made and we made an appointment. She brought the quilts and I gave her an estimate of $70 each for E2E meandering. As she was leaving, she asked if I wanted a deposit. I said no and she said that was good because the person she was making the quilts for hadn’t given her the money to have them quilted yet. She said to me,”She\'s paying me $200 to have them quilted and I’ll keep the extra for my gas money to drop them off and pick them up.”

I guess I shouldn’t worry about it, but I’m not sure I\'m happy about someone else making money for my quilting service.

Any thoughts...........

If you are going to make the price you quoted and you were satisfied with the transaction as stated then what the \'middleman\' makes above and beyond shouldn\'t matter. If she hadn\'t brought you the business would you still have connected with that particular customer. If the customer had contacted you directly and mailed the quilts would the price still have been the same???? You wouldn\'t have known about the $200 at that point unless you ask how much they are willing to pay and then priced accordingly. Things to think about:-)

Dear Ruthie,

I was Gob-smacked when I read your post. I hope that the Longarmers in your area have a good communications net work, as I think this kind of dishonest behaviour needs to be discouraged. Image what the owner of these quilts will feel like when she finds out that the had been " diddled" out of $60.00. Basically that would have covered the cost of another quilt for her!

Ruthie,

Why yes, I do have some thoughts about that.

Some folks just have malice in their hearts. Why would she feel compelled to tell you this unless she is just thumbing her nose at you. You\'re going to work for your money, she\'s going to drive 2 hours for hers. I hope she gets stuck in a traffic jam on her way home from your place. ;)

I agree that she shouldn\'t have mentioned it to you, but she may actually need that $60 for gas. You stated that she was an hour from you. What if the customer is another hour or so past her. That would make a 100 or more mile ride. Gas is over $3.00 a gallon, plus she is spending time delivering and picking up. Is the $60 outrageous, maybe. I don\' t know how far she drives or what she drives, so I can\'t answer that.

I do think however that she is paying you the price you quoted, you are not having to pick up and drop off quilts, you have a new customer out of the deal who may bring more business.

It\'s like my husband says when he is selling chickens : he sells them for his set price $1 or $1.50 and he doesn\'t care if they person who buys them eats them, raises them, or sells them to somebody else for $2.00 each. He got the price he asked for, so he made the money he expected.

Just my two cents worth.

I just wonder why this person is taking in quilts to be quilted if she\'s not planning on doing it herself. Maybe she just agreed to find someone to do the quilting. On the other hand maybe she\'s just working the system. You could always slap a label on the back and make sure that your very beautiful and fancy quilting stitches go over it to secure it on. DB

The thing that would irritate me is that the woman paying for the quilting will think thats your price and may not realize the "middleman" is taking a cut and not doing her a favor in helping her find a quilter. Also is the middle man going to take responsibility if she got the order wrong?

I tend to agree with Teresa and Jeanette. You said that she made the quilts. She also went to the trouble to find a quilter and drive there and she\'ll have to pick it up. If you figure that she is "on company time" during that time and getting paid for time and expenses (car, gas, insurance, etc )then it\'s not that bad. She was pretty stupid to tell you that way.

I had someone bring two quilts to me with the same circumstances: she pieced them and brought them to me to quilt. She told me what the client was giving her for the quilting, and it was over what she gave me. It didn\'t bother me because I believe her time is worth something, just like mine.

I think upping your fee a little wouldn\'t hurt, but maybe you\'ve found a steady client through this, and it\'ll pay off to deal with her on this.

That brings up a good point; if the store takes in the quilt does the quilt store take a percentage when you quilt for their customers??

I was thinking she was doing a friend a favor that it was not a client. If I were going to quilt for an interior designer I would expect them to mark up my prices. enjoy your new client maybe she will bring you lots of work!

If your really upset set your prices up....:cool::PYour customer is the woman you quoted to, she brought you the quilts, she\'s your customer and the one you deal with, not the lady who gave her the $200.00 for the quilting.....You quoted the price, deal made and set....I wouldn\'t be upset if I was getting the price I quoted:D

If she hadn\'t said that she would use the other money left over for gas you would never have known, and she has the right to it, it\'s her money to deal with. The Lady who gave her the money trusted her and that\'s that......:)just my opinion on the way business is done....:cool::):cool:;)

Middlemen/women are doing a job, too. Yes, they get paid. I have often been in this position for my former business as an upholsterer. If she hadn\'t told you the quilts were for someone else, there would have been zero problem.

The way I see it - your customer brought you 2 quilts. You quilted, she paid. She, however, made 2 quilts for a customer, then spent work time finding a long-arm quilter, drove the quilts there, will pick them up and deliver. Her customer is satisfied with the price. It\'s also a business deal you are not part of.

I don\'t see any problem with this at all. The woman who wanted the quilts made was willing to pay someone to piece and find a quilter.

The only problem I see is that your customer has a big mouth. I never told my customers how much I marked up the fabric they ordered through me. It\'s none of their business. That\'s the price. I had to pay to have sample books of fabrics in my shop, I had to pay for each update. If they brought their own fabric , my labor charge went up because I lost profit on the fabric sale.

Her biggest mistake was blabbing about the money, don\'t you think? It wasn\'t really wrong--just not that smart!

There was designer in my town here in NJ that would "send out" to have comforters custom made. I believe she sent material to a longarmer that "does" comforters. She paid lots of $$$ to have the comforters "made" to her specifications and marked the end product up when she sold it to her final customer. She dealt with all the stuff from design, fabric purchasing, shipping, scheduling, etc. It seemed fair to me, she needed to be compensated for her time too.

Blabbing about money just usually isn\'t smart..........

Jill Kerekes

As long as you get your money Up front and it was the price you quoted what the heck. She may never even have the quilts picked :D:Pup up from her, then where is her profit. I have had people put down a $100 on a custom quilt with the understanding once I had cut the fabric their depost was non-refundable. You would be surprised at the people who order then do not take the quilt. Carol!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I\'m really curious.

Why do many (not all) of you feel that middle-people are in some way abusing you? They have a customer who wants something done - quilting in this case. The customer either doesn\' know how to find a quilter or just plain doesn\'t want to do it. They hire someone who does know how to get the job done. The person they hire doesn\'t necessarily DO the job, they simply find someone who does, and pays them.

This procedure has value for all 3 - the customer gets what she wants, the middleperson gets a fee for providing the service, and the quilter gets paid for her work.

I seriously don\'t understand why anyone thinks this is objectionable. It\'s not like you would have had the end customer anyway! She hired someone because she didn\'t know how to do it on her own.

Middle-people (dang, that does sound silly, doesn\'t it?) are facilitators. They find services others need and want, and join the customer to the service. It\'s honest and worthwhile work.

Ruthie, we have several customers at the shop I LA quilt for who make quilts for other people then brings the quilt top to us to quilt. Not that I ask them what their quilting budget is...I\'ve learned over time that most up charge their quilting budget by 50% or more of what we actually charge. This part of the job is where they can usually best determine a fixed profit on the finished quilt. Most of these quilters only charge their customers for the actual cost of the fabric & supplies. As far as piecing and cutting time they can only estimate this...so if they boo boo they loose.

So try not to let this "Middle Person" bother you...these "Middle Person Quilters" are some of our best returning customers.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Some quilters are also elderly, may not drive. may be disabled, may have other medical reasons for not leaving the house, like not having portable oxygen, so ask someone else to help them with whatever it is..

directly, or indirectly, the job gets done, they get what they want/need, and all is happy...

RitaR

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have had this happen a lot since the beginning of my quilting days. My quilting rates are my quilting rates. I won\'t feel right jacking up my rates just for the middle man getting a better price for their rates. I look at it this way, their making the quilt and putting their time and effort into make that quilt. Whether or not their a expert or a novice means no never mind to me. I know it sounds a little petty, but thats how I feel. All I know is that person is going to be floored when they get their quilt, because I can always make the quilt look better than the middle man. Their client will always ask for my name 90% of the time. So don\'t feel jipped, you\'ll always have recognition in the end.........zeke........

Archived