Retrofit Ultimate1 w/ stitch regulator

:cool:Howdy, I have a UII, 1996 model, 1st owner, bought in 97...I really researched my machines well and decided on the UII, then in my price range, the UI was the next one up...the video and the advertisement papers from APQS stated the latest tech. and showed the UII with a hopping foot, I called Jeff J. and spoke with him personally, purchaced the machine with the Hartley Fence and waited for delivery......When I got the delivery, I was overwhelmed with the size of my table and machine,,,,,I\'d worked on sewing machines that were stationary, some big ones but this baby, wow.....Then I discovered that my UII didn\'t have a hopping foot!!!!!!I called Jeff J. immediately and wanted to know what was up, one of the reasons I purchaced this machine was the hopping foot....He said that they had only made a few with the hopping foot and went to the spoon slider because it worked well and that the UI was the machine with the hopping foot now....I was MAD:mad::mad:He offered me to upgrade to a UI then and there for a few thousand more.....I couldn\'t do it then, and anyway I have the video with the UII on it showing the hopping foot, I wanted a HOPPER NOW!!!!!!No doing, he wouldn\'t budge, but he did send me 1 custom made slider, much deeper than the stock one..... It didn\'t work very well so I started making my own hopping foot, and did, as well as several other devices for my UII.....Well I learned to love her and didn\'t UPGRADE as Jeff J. wanted me to.....after 10 years of quilting, and now she was paid for I started wondering about UPGRADING.....I have driven most all the known models of quilting machines known on the market and then some unknown custom chopped models also....Well none came close to the movement that I had with my old UII so I looked into UPGRADING her.....I called APQS and was quoted prices on installing the new stitch regulator (I guess not offered anymore;))as well as quoted prices on new and used models on hand......No training was offered for me at home, I would have to go to the dealer for that.....I then called IntelliStitch, and spoke with Helen B.....What an angel, she explained that the Turbo I/S would be installed in one day, at my home and that she would personally teach me the stuff I would need, as well as the manual written by her.... The price was way better than the APQS price for what you get, personal one on one services in your shop, home, place where your machine is.... I have had my I/S for several months and LOVE,LOVE, LOVE it....I didn\'t have to do anything other than learn, my machine was retrofitted here at home, new motor, front and back panels, and only one day down....The great thing is that I love my old UII and she now is exactally what I wanted minus the hopping foot, which by the way causes me headaches so I use the new 1/2" foot that Sheri\'s husband makes, and that completes the whole thing for me....I would suggest looking into the Intellistitch.....

I am not a sales person nor do I get any kickback or $$$ from them, I just really liked their product and think that it was worth the money, I\'m sure less $$$$ than the dealer will offer, as was offered to me,,,,,,:cool:

Hi Amy,

I\'m another happy Intellistitch I/S Turbo owner with a Ultimate II. I had mine installed by Helen and Tony in August 07\'. They come to your machine/house/studio and spend the day installing the Intellistitch. The bonus for me was that Tony inspected my machine, the wiring, etc. and told me she was in good shape for her age. She was purchased new from APQS by the previous owner.

The installation of the Intellistitch also includes a new motor for you machine, new wired laser and Users Manual and all the time you need with Helen and Tony to understand how to operate the stitch regulator. I\'ve not had any problems with mine, and never had to contact them again.

I live in North Calif. The reps, Helen and Tony live in Las Vegas, so I did have to pay their travel expenses which were an additional charge over the cost of the stitch regulator. The month I purchased mine it was on sale, so I lucked out. I don\'t have the exact cost but know it was below $2800 at the time.

I also have Sheri Butlers round 1/4 foot, and I installed Edgerider wheels. I test a lot of machines at shows. I was in Houston in Oct/Nov. at the Houston Quilt Festival. I can say that after running a lot of the machines there, I\'m not ready to trade up to anything else right now, my machine is just as nice, if not better than some of the top of the line machines. In fact I enjoy that it is on a smaller scale 20" arm, and not as heavy as some of the larger head machines. The installation of the Intellistitch added about 5 more lbs. to the original weight of the machine. So, she is moving around at about 35-38 lbs. which is just perfect for me. Not too light, not too heavy.

You can see pictures of my Ultimate II at my PictureTrails album. I have a whole album devoted to the Ultimate II. I\'ve done this because when I was looking for a used machine---and spotted this one for sale, there were hardly any pictures on the internet of what one looked like so that I could have an idea about what I was going to consider buying. I have some original pics. of it in the previous owners studio, and pics. of the Ultimate with all the upgrades.

I love my machine as you can tell. :) I use it a lot for quilting community quilts, Wounded Warrior quilts, and occasional quilts for a friend---and my own quilts.

Hope this information is helpful to you. Good luck

Thank you all so much for all of the great information. I will be picking up my machine in one week - new to me Ultimate 1. I am so excited that I just don\'t know what to do with myself! I thought it would be years before I could afford a longarm (even used), but I came across just the right deal at the right time and I get to start my dream earlier!!

Hi Amy

congratulations on your Ultimate 1 - I am sure you will love it. An Ult 1 is the first APQS machine I owned. I\'ve since sold it and that owner sold it on to another lady who has recently had the Compuquilter fitted.

As far as a stitch regulator goes, not all stitch regulators work the same or produce the same stitch quality with the same ease so I\'d suggest you really get used to your new baby before you make any decisions about getting a stitch regulator fitted - you might find that you don\'t even need a stitch regulator and who knows what APQS will bring out when you are ready to upgrade.

Good luck and have lots of fun

Sue in Australia

Congratulations Amy on your new to you Ultimate I:)

I had a similar experience. I found my Ultimate II quite by accident for sale on this group and I had never been here before just browsing used machine. The machine turned out to be a 30 min. drive from our home, and I knew the owner previously years ago when we belonged to the same quilt guild. There were some other coincidences that came into play too.

Keep us posted, and I\'m excited for you! :)

Archived