Langa Lapu Wholecloth with thread-play

Here are some pics of my latest commissioned Langa Lapu wholecloth I completed. This piece is 85 x 100 inches, but only the center part is shown in the largest photo. My photography skills are quite substandard and I couldn't get a clear picture of the entire piece (I think the ultra-bright sun-dyed batik colors of the Langa Lapu fabric confuse my camara -LOL!!). The smaller pics show the thread-play done in the leaf veins. I also trapuntoed (Is that a word???) the leaf shape behind the thread-play veins. There are over 15 different Valdani hand-dyed variegated threads in the background quilting... although they did not photograph very well (sigh). The thread that looks white is actually a lavender/blues variegate and the thread that looks black is a darker blue/green variegate. The thread-play leaf veins were all done in the same yellow/green variegated thread. All in all, there is a lot of thread in this quilt!!!

Pictures:

http://community.webshots.com/album/416632957GoRSOt

Thanks Cheryl,

I would love to be able to take more credit for the beauty of the fabric.... but that is the work of Pru Bolis. I believe that the Langa Lapu name is derived from terms meaning "sun-cloth". Pru sun-dyes these fabrics on the natural landscape of southern Africa (Coast of Cragg). I have been addicted to her cloth for several years!! Pru uses leaves, rocks, grass, shells, rice grains, anything she finds in nature to use as resists in her fabric art. Last year, I came home from Houston with 13 of Pru's wholecloths (had to ship them home because I ran out of room in my "extra" suitcase).

What I love most is the quality of her cloth and colorways. There is absolutely no discharge what-so-ever, and the feel of the fabric is almost sensual. There are hundreds of color combinations and batik textures to choose from. I have one that I am strictly saving for myself (I am greedy when it comes to Langa Lapu fabric!!) that is done in shades of tans, browns, and light sages with batik images of grass, twigs, and such. This will eventually be my background for an applique animal scene of some sort. I am thinking a doe, maybe some turkeys, pheasants, whatever creatures I have living in my back acreage. (Think along the lines of wild deer in a meadow field...)

What I do is look for images (both readily visable and those that are more subtle) and accentuate them (sometimes even create them in the shadows) by using trapunto, thread-play, and other misc. techniques. It's really hard to mess up her awesome art cloth no mater how you quilt it!!

I got started doing these when I had my retail shop a few years ago, and people just loved them. I currently have agreements for 6 more of these to do for clients, so it may be awhile until I have time to do any of my own personal 9 wholecloths I have secretly stashed away... LOL!!:o

I have tried to take my quilt pictures outside.. and I am still a really bad photographer!!! :mad: Someone needs to teach a "quilted photography" class at the quilt shows... I know I would sign up!!!

You can give credit to Pru for the fabric all you want. (It is very beautiful fabric) Your quilting is fantastic! I have never heard of Pru, can you only get her fabric at market? Well, I will be there this year. I'll have to check her out. Great job on the quilt, thank you for sharing.

Cheryl

Tina:

the quilt is just gorgeous and your work is stunning! I can certainly appreciate your desire to "hoard" some fabric for yourself -- it is beautiful stuff.

If you are interested in learning about how to take photos of your quilts, there is an online class I noticed at Quilt University on photography of quilts that is starting Aug 20 or so. You might pick up some tips that would help you. THe link is http://www.quiltuniversity.com/classlist2.htm. It is in the "other" section of classes. Here is the description:

Photographing Your Quilts Whether you are photographing your quilts to enter a quilt show, emailing them to a friend, posting them in the Quilt University Gallery, documenting them for insurance, creating your personal quilt registry or keeping a scrapbook, you want the best photos possible. In this class, Janice Baehr, will help you take photographs of your quilts with the camera you have, whether it is film or digital. It is neither expensive nor difficult to take good quality photographs of your quilts. You will learn to understand and use your equipment and supplies, master setting up your quilt, taking the photographs and tweaking the results until you get it just right. After this class, you will be as proud of your photographs as you are of your quilts! Four Lessons. All levels.

hope this helps.

Sara

Tina,

I have found it very easy to photo my quilts by putting large nails up along the top of the garage wall. I attach those large clips (like the ones on the machine) along the top of the quilt, it's take about 4 of them. The I just hook them on the nails and photo my quilts with the garage door open (and the car out) during the day. I get great light and the quilt has a lot of length to hang down and I can step back and get a full photo or a close up. I some times have to put an old sheet on the floor if the quilt is exrta long. This is a very inexpensive solution.

Your quilting is beautiful and not exactly your grandmothers wholecloth!

Hester Mastro

:cool:

Archived