quilt blocks on point

smudges

Hi! I have a quilt top I need to get done fairly quickly or my son will disown me LOL! I am still a very new quilter, and this will be my first quilt where the blocks are set on point. I didn\'t realise quite how much it stretches across and down the quilt until I measured across the middle to get the border lengths and it was 10inches longer when I was holding it up than when it was laying on the floor, and I was trying hard not to stretch it!

I have done 1 quilt as a full float, but had 2m of backing for a 1.5m quilt, and ended up with about 1m of backing left over, not sure how I managed to fit a 1.5m quilt onto 1m of backing, obviously I stretched the backing too tight, but the resulting quilt still sits lovely and flat and the backing doesn\'t look stretched, so it is a mystery!

I much prefer a partial float so I can keep the tension on both the top and bottom the same and I use the right amount of backing fabric LOL, but I am concerned with the possibility of this quilt top stretching. It has borders cut from the length of the bolt so they are not going to stretch at all.

This will also be my first custom quilt, I have only done pantographs up until now. It is a fish quilt based on the pattern that come with the tri-rec tools, but made with extra blocks to make it 60inches square.

Any suggestions on how to handle this would be wonderful!

Thanks!

Susan

Susan,

If you have the bias of the triagle on the outer edge then it will naturally just stretch so you have to be very careful with it. What I would do is use a ruler to make sure the squares on point stay square and make the triangles fit to that. I hope that makes sense. I do a partial float and I am just careful to keep any fullness in the area it belongs instead of trying to push it out. You can use Bonnie\'s starch and steam method to get control of any triangles that appear to be too full. I would also pin baste it along the sides before I put on the clamps. That way it isn\'t apt to stretch. Good luck.

Hi! Thanks for the suggestions! The setting triangles are cut and pieced so that the outside edges are on the straight of grain, and it has 2 borders on the straight of grain so the edges aren\'t going anywhere, it\'s just the middle that stretches so easily because all the blocks are on point. It sit\'s nice and flat when it\'s on a table or the floor, but as soon as you pick it up it\'s own weight stretches the middle right out of shape.

I know I\'m not the first person to do a quilt with blocks set on point and hoped there was a magic trick to keeping it flat, but will do a partial float and baste down the edges as I go and hope I don\'t end up with a mountain or valley in the middle LOL!

Thanks!

Susan

Archived