Bobbin winder

I have a free-standing bobbin winder from APQS that I purchased shortly after they were advertised. I am wondering if anyone who has this winder has noticed some problems after some usage.

It seems to wind very well for about the first 1/2 or 2/3, then will begin to slip, wind very slowly for about another 1/4, then resume its speed to the end. The tension does not seem to be affected by this slipping, but it seems to take awhile for it to \'grip\' the tread (or whatever) to resume the winding process.

I have been hesitant to open the screws, lest I mess it royally and am unable to reassemble it again.

If anyone has any suggestions, I am happy to hear them. If I won\'t hurt it by opening it, I will do that also.

Thank you.

Thank you for your help with this problem. I do watch that small wire, as it slips, as you say. However, when the bobbin is winding, the threads are all in the correct places.

This is a puzzle to me. I prefer to not purchase another one, just troubleshoot the one I have now.

Grace

Grace,

I have the very same problem with my bobbin winder and I have only had it three months. It starts off winding great, then slows down to a snails pace. Mine starts slipping about half way through the winding and does not pick up after that. I have checked the manual many times and I also have it threaded correctly.

HELP......................this is very frustrating.

Shirley and Grace,

It sounds like the turbo winder is sometimes behaving like a slowbo for each of you! Aside from a mechanical problem, have you checked to make sure that the thread coming off the spool is not getting caught somewhere along the thread path?

A slow-down in the winder can sometimes happen when a loop or twist occurs in the thread as it leaves the spool. This then gets caught in the tension mechanism and puts drag on the motor until the unit finally yanks the twist out of the tension disks.

A slowdown can also happen if the thread gets bogged down leaving the spool itself; it can get caught on the thread net or wrap around itself on the spool. This is especially noticeable with fine, slippery threads like Bottom Line or Rainbows. Be sure to use a thread net, and/or put a small tuft of batting into the crook of the first thread guide to put some pressure on the thread as it leaves the spool.

Another possible cause is a bad bobbin. Sometimes the center hole in a bobbin is a little larger than the rest, causing slippage on the winder pin. Check to see if the problem occurs with every bobbin you wind, or only one or two.

If the troubles still occur no matter which thread you wind, or which bobbin you use, please call Tech Support at APQS. That\'s what they are there for: 800-426-7233.

Hopefully we can get your slowbo up to turbo again shortly:)

Hi Sheryl,

I don\'t think there is a way to slow it down. We just have to get you over that fear:)

The first few times I used it, it made me jump and pull my hand back when I engaged the winder mechanism! Guess the best advice I can give you is to practice pushing the winding mechanism over toward an imaginary bobbin and then pushing it to the right again to shut the winder off. You don\'t actually need to wind a bobbin, just get used to the "feel" of how and when the motor will kick in. Do this many times, until you feel like it\'s second nature. Then thread up a bobbin and give it a shot.

The more you do this "practice" the less afraid you\'ll become when the motor engages. Soon you\'ll literally be winding bobbins "lickety-split" and will wonder what took you so long to start to use the winder:).

I too find the bobbin winder rather vicious. My best solution so far is to get everything set up and push the bobbin into place and engage the winder before switching the machine on. That way all I have to do is hold the end of the thread and turn the machine on at the wall socket. I use an extension so the plug is right next to the winder.

The slowing down half way through winding is something that happens on my bernina, I agree it is very irritating. I don\'t know thw solution to that one though.

I like the idea of the foot control - - I too have been getting everything set up, then plugging in and watching it fly. My bobbins don\'t wind evenly - - they want to fill the toward the outside, or the side furtherest from the center of the machine. The only way to get thread toward the inside of the bobbin is to nudge it with a smooth object, and I wonder what I\'m doing to the tension. I also don\'t seem to find any instructions on any possible adjustments. http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/images/smilies/sad.gif

Any ideas anyone?

sometimes after the stand alone winder has been used for quite a while the bobbin will slip and cause this problem. On the tension winder, the post you slip the bobbin onto has a slit in the middle of it. I take a small screw driver and just pry it apart a bit and that stops the slips. But don\'t go wild just gently. Also I just noticed today ,mine is winding crooked also. I noticed next to the tension discs , on the plate there is a small screw with a slot where it can be adjusted to the left or right. will try and adjust and let ya know later. Hope this helps. Carol

You can get these generic foot pedal motor/light combos at just about any sewing machine place.....;););)this one is an old one, but I know they also have them on e-bay sometimes:cool::cool:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sewing-Machine-OUTLET-Foot-Control-Pedal-SINGER-MORE_W0QQitemZ150219288514QQihZ005QQcategoryZ3118QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

post--13461899276041_thumb.jpg

For those of you with slippage problems with your Turbo Winders - it may be time to replace the rubber grommet inside the winder mechanism - this is how the motor shaft makes contact with the winding mechanism. Over time, the motor shaft wears down the grommet, and there is less for the motor shaft to make contact with, causing things to slow down. We do carry these grommets at the factory, along with replacement instructions. Call me if you have any questions!

Thanks, Amy, for the input. I was wondering, also, what the life expectancy is for this winder? Seems like it should be able to last a lot longer than it is currently functioning. It gets lots of use even with the hobby quilter, much more use with those earning a living with it.

Where does one find the replacement parts on your webpage?

Grace

Well, I have taken apart the winder and there is no belt inside, just a wheel that rubs against a long knob from the small motor inside. There were a small pile of rubber pilings from the wheel, but the wheel did not look worn at all. We attempted to reposition the wheel closer to the knob, but it would only move front/back and it needed to move right/left. Any way this adjustment is possible?

Thanks again for the input.

I did convince my husband to put a switch on the cord. Boy, what a dream come true that little addition was!! Now, if it would only wind the bobbins, I would really be happy.

Grace

Archived