Bobbin winder

THIS IS ONLY INFO from my side

I\'ve had my turbo winder since mid Dec. have only successfully wound about a dozen bobbins.. and that took extra care, help, batting, etc.. I thought it was all me, and that I just needed more practice.

I Do have an old bobbinwinder made up of parts that came with my old klunker: foot pedal, holder, thread guides springs, tension disks, etc.. .. and it runs 2 or 3 times as fast as the turbowinder and does a beautiful job at filling a bobbin.. unfortunately it won\'t wind the bobbins I need now.

I also have the Side Winder and it\'s very slow and winds a very poor bobbin in my experience, no matter what I did, and I had to have Himself take the bobbins off.. I couldn\'t pull them off, myself.

RitaR

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie here, I hate the built in winder on my Millie, I have wasted lots of thread and time attempting to get enough filled bobbins to begin quilting. I am shopping for a bobbin winder and thought the turbo winder would be a winner. After reading about the problems with it I wonder is there a better winder out there?

:cool:

The turbowinder is scary at first, and I still have occasional problems with So Fine or Bottom Line deciding to jump out of the tension mechanism, but in general it winds a wonderful bobbin. I agree the Side Winder is a waste.

I use very few pre-wounds. I love everything about the aluminum bobbins except that when I drop one and it rolls in between "stuff" I can\'t pick up with a magnet... go figure... non-ferrrous and all that.

If things start to wind badly, just pull back on the latch and stop it. It took me a few times to feel like I wouldn\'t amputate my fingers, but no injury.

I bought the bobbin winder they have now from Joann\'s with a 40% coupon. It was supposed to be 29.95.

I have the Millenium with the bobbin winder on it but the piece of rubber tubing has been replaced several times and I only have a little piece left. I have several other machines I can wind bobbins on but will try out my new winder someday.

It looks like the bobbin winder APQS sells is the same as on my power head machines. If it is there are several ways to adjust where the thread is heading as it winds. The tension discs are movable on my machines so they have to be centered to make the bobbin wind evenly. These are very old machines and maybe the newer ones were not made as well. Or could it be these bobbin winders were originally on some old powerheads?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey kids, I have two bobbin winders. One of the old and the turbo. I tend to use the old one all the time, because the steel bobbin can fit a little more thread on them. Not much, but enough to make a difference sometimes. I have a lot of the steel boobins and they don\'t work on the turbo, but the smart boobins work on the old winder. So keep you old winders in very good condition just incase..........zeke

Archived