What brand of good muslin?

Sheryl,

My favorite all time muslin is Ecology cloth. It is a good thread count, not terribly expensive but most importantly it lasts forever! You have to be careful of which kind of Roc-lon you get because they make a very cheap one that is mostly sold at Joanns or other big sewing stores that will not last well at all. If you are just playing and not really going to use it for a quilt then it is fine to use.

Joanns sells low and high without differentiating in price lots of times so just read the info on the end of the bolt and get the high thread count. The low thread count is a lightwt, more flimsy muslin, called Utility Muslin and is about a 78X78 thread count-usually is the more narrow width also. Look for the one that has 200 thread count.

AFAIK - it only comes in 45" width. I Googled it and that is all I saw.

It really is a nice fabric.....not only suitable for backings and such.....I saw it used as a background fabric in a pieced top and it looked wonderful! So much better than some of those painted "tone on tone" fabrics.....

thanks Heidi. Guess I\'ll have to find somewhere else..

Have to figure out how much of what fabric I need as I\'m shopping with the committee for the Q of V fabrics, tomorrow. The guild will make blocks.. from kits we\'ll cut and make up.

Thanks again. Rita

Hi everyone,

I am a "newby" to this forum. The brand name "Ecology" has been mentioned by several quilters. I would like to know where I may purchase this fabric. I live in the southwestern part of the United States. All help will be appreciated.

Sassy

I have been buying my muslin at JoAnn\'s but the last bolt I returned it was like scrim. I also noticed most of their bolts are "Made in CHINA". Don\'t we make anything in the USA anymore? I do look for a high thread count and wonder if we wouldn\'t be better off getting sheets on sale and using them for backs.

I have used lots of Moda Muslin. However, make sure you look at the thread count, because I did order a bolt online that was labeled Moda and it was very thin. That was my only bad experience with a Moda muslin though--all the other times I\'ve ordered it (mostly from Hancock\'s of Paducah which gives a discount for 10+ yards) it\'s been wonderful. I also like the Kona solids. They are a heavier weight than most muslins, yet are relatively inexpensive and are offered in numerous colors.

RJR sells what I think are called Quilter\'s Solids that have a wonderful hand to them. Again, they are relatively reasonable priced.

Moda fabrics are generally on the high side price wise, but they are really nice fabrics. One of my LQS\'s carries only Moda and I really love working with it. I tell my students that, "if they\'re making a quilt for a pet or a dragger for a toddler, don\'t spend $9/yd." "If they are making a nice gift for someone or a nice quilt for themselves, it\'s worth every penny." Better fabrics just cost more, regardless of the brand. They sure are nice to feel and work with!

Yes! Most fabrics are manufactured outside of the US. I was told by one manufacturer that it was because of the chemical processing used in the dye process. The US has many restrictions that other countries do not and makes it impossible for most manufacturers to dye fabrics here. If they did, they would be so expensive nobody would be able to afford them!

Hello. I just purchased a 90" wide muslin, from the Pago collection of muslins at Fabric Depot.

It is a 200 thread count. When you buy the whole bolt, they discount it 40% off.

The regular price was $9.99 and usually comes in a 15 yd. bolt. Once discounted, the price was $89.91 for the bolt , plus shipping. A bit more expensive than Roclon. which can vary in quality so greatly, but well worth it. It is a really nice quality cotton.

Archived