Becoming a quilt judge

Hello,

Just curious to know how many of you have taken the classes (or whatever the education is) for becoming a judge at a quilt show. I had contacted my local extension office about volunteering to work with the young 4-H group perhaps teach them about quilting and also machine quilting their work. The gal in charge there asked me if I could judge the quilts at the county fair, hmm, I didn\'t know what to say! I thought to myself that I would probably be a really lousy judge cause I\'d give everyone a blue ribbon!! LOL If anyone has any advice on this subject I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance... and happy quilting everyone!!!

I have looked into both the Judging and Teaching programs that are offered by the National Quilting Association Inc.

www.nqaquilts.org

But have never got beyond the printing of the application....life got in the way and it was put onto the back burner. They demand a lot of your time until you finish the progam and there is a lot of air travel involved to get to the quilt shows to help do the judging...so this will have to wait now till GD is out of high school

Hi Kathy,

I think that if you want to be a "certified" quilt judge, taking the classes to get a certificate is great. However, if you are judging as a volunteer for local groups, a formal education may not be necessary. If you are a quilter who understands the standards for piecing, quilting, and binding being a "judge" would be interesting. You know how it is "supposed" to be--quarter inch seams, regularly spaced quilting that is appropriate for the pattern, bindings full of batting and finished nicely on the back, yadda yadda. Go for it if they do not require a judging certificate. If you enjoy that aspect, go forward with the formal classes. Why not!

Archived