Overhead wiring ?

I'm thinking of getting the overhead wiring bar with my Millie.

Would appreciate hearing the pros and cons of those who have it (is it worth it?) or you can get by without it. The Gammill version actually has lights you can attach to theirs. I'm sure if you wanted, something similar could be done with the APQS version. But is it needed or wanted?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated :)

Guest Linda S

If you want your wiring overhead, there are lots cheaper ways to do it. I have mine up with a curtain-type rod, used to separate cubicles. Even though the newer machines don't need to have their cords elevated, I could feel my cord dragging so decided to put it up. I love it.

Linda

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I guess! I LOVE my overhead wiring! I got it with my first machine in '97, and have refused to sell it when I've sold my machines. It's been adapted, cut down for a smaller table, holes drilled in it to accomadate a lower ceiling etc. etc. MINE has a rolling junction box in addition to the stable one. This allows the curly cord to roll along the track as the machine moves. I don't know why they stopped using the rolling box, but sure wish they'd put it back again. See picture below.

I also use the side supports to attach those white plastic hooks for scissors, lamb's wool duster, etc. I even have my oil bottle attached with velcro. My magnetic wands for picking up dropped pins are on each side support too.

post--13461897626086_thumb.jpg

The one thing that I preach to my students is to have an open mind! Darlene, your opinion on the overhead wiring is the perfect example! One reason why I love this forum. Many ideas, many opinions and we are ALL right! (usually!).

The edit button is in the upper right hand corner of your post.

I would love spell check here!

Cheryl

I have the overhead wiring and it's great, I have also installed track lights on the front of the overhead support (don't know the technical name for it) and they don't interfere with the movement (YEA) :D. It took me a few days to get the lights where I wanted them and to determine if I really needed that much light so with a little light bulb modification here and there I am pleased to say it's very nice.

Spell Check

If you download Google's toolbar, it has a spell checker that allows you to check spelling of any text you type on any web form. It's wonderful!

I got the overhead wiring with my machine and it should have had about three more hooks in it. Once I got enough hooks to hold the cord up, I was happy with it and would hate to have cords on the floor and in my way.

Polly

I chose not to get the overhead wiring because I wanted a really cool overhead fan with lights. I have my cord going up high on the wall (back of machine on my right hand side if I'm operating from the back) attached to a cord that pulls in excess cord or lets it out if needed. Since it is on the right hand side of the machine head it never gets in my way. It works great and certainly saved me some serious money. Isn't it great to have choices.

Happy Quilting :D

Archived