Space requirements for the Millie, 14 ft., electrical, and IQ

I have ordered a 14 ft Millie, and am designing space in studio for it...How much space in width do you find you need, if you put one long side near a wall (but still have enough space to work from that side)...I am told that the machine takes up about 5 1/2 ft when the bars are apart. Several other questions:

When you\'re not actively using it, does it take up less width? If so, how much width does it take?

I am getting an IQ on it. Does anyone w/an IQ have an opinion as to the best way to do the electrical? i.e. on one side or the other, or above from the ceiling?

Marlene in Tahoe

Marlene,

I have a 12 foot table and a CQ...I use to have a 14 ft gammill. My room is 12\' by 22\' and the 14 foot took up much of the room. If you push the machine up to one side of the room give yourself a minimum of 3 ft (2 ft may be close all though people have done it). I currently have 2 machines parallel to each other and the width is tight, very tight. So that being said I would have liked a room that would have been 18\' by 22\' because my DSM is also set up in this room too along with my fabric stash, thread, books and tools.

The machine takes the same space whether it is in use or idle.

Can\'t help with the IQ

Have fun!

Cheryl

I just went up and measured the distance between the walls and my machines. The Millie is approximately 22"away from the wall, the front rail is 20 inches from the front rail of the Liberty and the back of the Liberty is 20 inches away from the wall. This gives me 8 to 9 inches away from the wall to wedge myself if I am working from the back of the machine and the machine is all the way back on the rails. Since I have a CQ I don\'t work from the back of the machine so the space is adequate (remember there are times when you need to get around the machine). I am a small person so I don\'t have problems working between both machines. My Liberty is used for custom quilting so I am working 95% of the time from the front of the machine.

Hope that information gives you a better idea.

Cheryl

PS....Love Lake Tahoe...my parents 2nd home is a cabin up at Tahoe Donner. Haven\'t been there in about 15 years. Usually when I come to visit my folks it is north of SF.

• 2 weeks later...

Is 5 & 1/2 feet wide right? I\'ve asked the question before and never got an answer. Length of the table isn\'t hard, that answer is already available, but if you are thinking of putting the table catty corner in the room then width of the table is an issue because that\'s how you\'ll determine how far into the corner the table will fit. Once that is figured then you can tell how much room you\'ll be able to have from end to end of the table to tell if it will fit. So how wide is the Millie table from edge of panto side to the edge of the freehand side? Clear as mud?

I had the opportunity to go see one in someones house. That was extremly helpful I realized that where I measured was not going to work. I took out a wall in the basement and took over the whole basement. I do have a post at one end of the machine that I wish wasn\'t there and I only go around one end of the machine. I would love to go around both sides that would be a luxary. However I love my space.

Good luck adn If you live out my way stop by

Melora

Archived