help tension problems

jacquee

I am extremely frutrated with the tension on my Millie. I am doing a double wedding ring all in batiks - top and bottom - wool batting. I have Alex Anderson\'s Masterpiece cotton thread on top and bottom thread. I can not seem to get the tension right. I make a small adjustment to the top tension and the thread breaks - I loosen and it gets pulled to the back. I adjust the bobbin tension and I get the thread on top. AHHHHHH - I have throughly cleaned the machine three times and also replaced the needle. I spritzed the thread - wound new bobbins. I have read through many many tension posts and tried everything. I think I have it set and try it out on the side - quilt for a short while and then I start having problems again and have to start all over. :mad:

Please help!

j.

Masterpiece thread is recommended as a thread for "piecing" (Master-piece) but I have not personally used it for quilting.

If you want a thinner poly, I would recommend Bottom Line or SoFine. Especially with batiks top and bottom. If you have breakage, loosen, loosen, loosen. Match the "looseness" of top and bottom threads. I feel your pain!!!

I recently had two DWRs with extensive stitching but I did not stitch on the arcs. If you are hitting those intersections that could be a contributor to the breakage too. My last one also had wool batting and that would not be a part of the problem--that batting is so thick and soft the stitches melt into the fabric (mine were not batiks, though!)

I hope the problems are easy to remedy and you are in business again soon!

I\'m w/LInda, Loosen, loosen, loosen. I never thought I\'d love (or need) a Towa gage but I\'m swearing by mine just so I can make sure all my bobbins are between 9-11, preferably 10 on the old gages. Add a zero to the end of those for the new gages like mine. My machine likes things SO SO SO loose. It freaks me out, but my stitches look beautiful that way.

The other thing that\'s recommended for batiks is silicone spray. I\'ve only done one comlete batik (top and backing) and I didn\'t even take the chance I sprayed the top and the inside of the backing both. I had no problems, but since I"ve never tried it without silicone I can\'t say for sure that\'s what made the difference, but it can\'t hurt.

Let us know how it goes.

Jacquee,

I\'m sorry to hear of your problems with Masterpiece thread. Tension problems can be the most frustrating thing about longarming. I know Masterpiece is supposed to work for piecing and detail quilting and I love those yummy colors (oooohh Picasso Pink, Clementine, paint Brush).

I have to agree with Linda Rech. I know that some folks have used Masterpiece for quilting but I sure don\'t know how. I had the very same problem as you with Masterpiece as soon as I started the quilt. For me, it was easier to frog the little quilting I had done and choose a new thread.

Please tell us if and how you conquer the problem. I would love to put some Picaso Pink on my quilts.;)

I just thought of something: Perhaps Masterpiece thread is for topstitching using a domestic sewing machine rather than a high speed longarm machine? Perhaps it might also be used for embroidery?

I have not used Masterpeice thread but with all of the colors, it might be better suited with the lower speed machines?

Another thought I had: Remember folks having trouble with tension and breaking using the Rainbows thread? Some quilters\' solution was to also use Rainbows in the bobbin, rather than use Bottom Line or SoFine in the bobbin. Using Rainbows on top and bottom worked successfully. Perhaps you might try experimenting using Masterpiece in the top and bottom of the longarm?

Just thinking out loud......... I am curious if this might work for you with Masterpiece. Good luck!

On their website they recommend masterpiece as a good cotton quilting thread, does anyone recommend a better cotton thread for long arms? I do have a towa and have my bobbin set between 10 and 15 - should I loosen (or tighten?). I have never tried the silicone spray - what is this? where would I find it? I put some silicone on the thread/ "misted" it and sealed it up - That helped a little, but am still having problems. Right now I have the cotton on the top and the bottom thinking that would be the best - but I can switch to the bottom line for the bobbin if that would work better. I have not had my long arm very long and have not had this problem before - but as I look at the back I am going to have to take out at least 50% of the stitching I have already done :( So I need to figure this out before I do any more - plus I have 2 tops in the waiting that have a due date coming up soon.

j.

I just finished a batik table runner using the Masterpiece. The gals are right, both tensions have to be very loose, the bobbin even more. It was about an hour of trial and error but I finally got the tension right to do this table runner. I don\'t like to mess with the bobbin thread unless absolutely necessary, but with this particular thread, it did need adjustment. Keep trying, it will fall into place. I don\'t think I\'ll use this thread again, stick with So Fine, it works with no issues.

Good Luck

Sharon.

I had tried Masterpiece on one quilt and was finally successful getting it to run. Like the others said, the tension needs to be rather loose both top and bobbin to keep it from continually breaking. It is a very nice thread but not strong enough in my opinion to run on the longarms. If it breaks that easily, think about how it is going to hold up in the quilt. I won\'t use it on another quilt for fear that it won\'t hold up over time and it is not worth the tension frustrations.

As far as finishing the one you are on.... no, I wouldn\'t switch to Bottom line in the bobbin, I would stay with the masterpiece. Just my thoughts, but I would think that the strength of the BL and the weakness of the masterpiece would create more problems.

Patty

Did not get Masterpiece to work in my longarm. With that said only a few people told me they can use it.

It\'s intended purpose is for piecing. Not sure why anyone would want to purchase the large spools for piecing but there it is. The fact that is is sold that way leads you to think it is for longarm quilting to my way of thinking. Just incase you hadn\'t read it anywhere else.

It is a wonderful thread and the colors it comes in is to die for but I do not plan to purchase it for longarm quilting or in larger spools.

Use So FINE. It aslo has delicious colors and it quilts like a dream. It never breaks on me really. I just love this thread.

A local longarm quilter using the Prodigy machine quilts with it all the time and just loves it. It isn\'t the weight I think works for longterm use of a quilt with regard to quilts and how they are used. IT is too fine a thread in my opinion for quilting.

I don\'t recommend it for quilting but hey if you get it to work more power to ya. Superior I think only sells quality threads so have a ball. I personally wouldn\'t choose this thread. The experts say it isn\'t for longarm quilting. Thread breakage can make the quilting process undesirable if it continues. It gets us all frustrated. Use the tools and materials that have proven to work time and time again so you can enjoy the creativity of your quilting. Youll enjoy yourself using the right tools for the job.

I asked the same question not long ago. Here is a link to the response I recieved about Masterpiece. Search Masterpiece if it doesn\'t come thru for ya. Be sure and sure last 6 months. Best Wishes.

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=9091&page=1#pid79446

Hugs and best wishes.

Grammie

Jacquee, you asked if you should loosen your bobbin to a differnt Towa setting. If you loosen the top tension you need to loosen the bobbin as well. Just keep loosening tension until you stop having breakage. If your top is TOO loose you\'ll know because you\'ll get loops in the top thread.

You probably know this, but sometimes I have to remind myself (I\'ve caught myself doing the opposite w/out thinking).

If it\'s not breaking on top, looks okay, but there is a "flat line" on the back the bobbin is TOO tight. If it\'s good on top, not breaking, but you see the bobbin thread showing on top it\'s TOO loose. Adjust in small increments. Remember, or write down, what your bobbin Towa reading was for future reference.

I buy my silicone spray at Hancocks. It\'s comes in a can that looks almost exactly like basting spray, just a different color.

I\'m kind of stuborn. I expect my machine, unlike my kids and my dog, to do what I tell it to and run what I say. I try not to think of the fit I\'ll have the day it starts to behave like my children.:P Until then I\'ll run the threads that make my heart sing, or get drunk trying.

You can do this.

Keep us posted.

Archived