machine is making a metal banging sound

BethDurand

Hi everyone who is so brilliant, and will have the answer to this.

My machine suddenly started making a banging sound, seems like two pieces of metal coming from the bobbin area. It only started after I moved the machine head off to the side while starting to load and float a quilt top.

I\'m currently having a break, but would appreciate any help you can offer. It\'s stitching just fine, so I may just have to turn up the radio.

Thanks in advance,

Beth

OK I\'m just stabbing in the dark but give these things a try first to deduct some problems. It could be the bobbin case isn\'t in all the way or something is stuck in the bobbin case. Did you clean the case out, free of dust, gunk or thread from everything, including the spindle where the bobbin sits? (There might be thread wrapped in there.) Did you pull the bobbin case out and try running it? Does it still make that same noise without a bobbin in there (take thread out of needle before doing it)? Also try removing the needle completely and run it. Maybe you have a bad needle or the needle dropped and just needs to be wedged back up the needle bar? I heard that bobbin cases can go bad over time (spring) and perhaps try a completely different bobbin case and new bobbin, too.

And, it is possible that your Monkey-armed Ozarkian psychic (or is it psycho) evil twin sister Mary Beth in KCMO really did do it... ;)

Oh, and turn up the volume...yes, I always like to quilt to loud music...so crank it UP!

DH is taking a look at it. My bet is that I need to repack the gear box, as it sounds like it\'s coming from there. He says that the sound is transfering to the back of the machine, and is looking around in there.

I\'ll try a new needle, different bobbin case, and call tech support.

Thanks ladies!

By the way Mary Beth, I know it wasn\'t you, she was working fine on Mon. night, and just started this up when I moved the head without cutting the thread first.

Beth

Hi Beth

Do you get that same noise if you don\'t have a needle in?

If you don\'t and If you are using a metal bobbin, take it out of the bobbin case and look for tiny nicks along the edge of the bobbin. If you see any, change the needle first then put in a new bobbin and slide the throat plate cover away from the machine so you can see down into the hook assembly area. Wind the thumbwheel by hand and look to see if the needle is touching the bobbin.

Good luck

Sue in Australia

Mary Beth, I\'m laughing so hard I\'m crying! I swear I could hear you say you didn\'t do it right out loud!

And Shana\'s, "And, it is possible that your Monkey-armed Ozarkian psychic (or is it psycho) evil twin sister Mary Beth in KCMO really did do it... ".

I just love y\'all! I\'m feeling a lot better than I have in month\'s s watch out!

Beth, my money is on the grease!

Apparently they are starting to kick in! I had the 2nd infusion on the 3rd so it\'s been 4 weeks since the first one and almost 2 weeks after the 2nd one. They told me it would take 4-6 weeks after the 2nd one before I\'d see any results. I just know that I\'m not living off of pain med\'s and still just sitting around hurting all the time. I was really hesitant to do this because I knew there was going to be about 4-5 months that were going to be really bad but I think it\'s going to work.

I\'ve been lurking everyday, laughing, crying and rejoicing right along with you all, just not participating much. I\'m glad I can come out and play now! I\'ve really enjoyed the new quilts, we are so lucky to have so many super stars here, it makes every day exciting! By the way, my mother is coming along very well, also. She\'s doing her exercises, practicng her handwriting, and has started going back to the Prayer Quilt Ministry at our church. One of the ladies is a good friend and comes and picks her up and takes her running around so she\'s not homebound all the time. Hoping she\'ll be able to drive again, she\'s very independant and is kicking herself for not taking her BP meds. And her BP is under control and lower than it\'s been in many years! WOOHOO!! God is good!

Hi everyone,

Mark and I talked on the phone last night, and I\'m leaning more and more towards re-packing the gear box. She still makes the noise without the bobbin in, and stitches are lovely, so I don\'t think it\'s timing. I believe that the air pocket just moved to an area when I moved the head, and that\'s why the sudden onset.

Shana, Mary Beth talks tough, but she\'s a sweetie. No need to be shaking in your shoes there. Wish I were coming along on this trip too! Maybe next year.

Beth

I know that when my bobbin area is needing a cleaning and oiling it sounds different, at that first different "voice" I have to stop immediately as Ethel is persnickity and will torture me with not so pretty stitching on the back of the quilt. I had to learn this the hard way, and all that froggin ain\'t fun! I am much more aware of her voice now than I was when I first started LA\'ing. I usually clean the bobbin and oil it at least once during a quilt job. More if it is a king size. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of... how does that go? LOL

I have used the canned air to blow the lint and stuff out of the bobbin area, but have found that I have an adverse reaction from that stuff! My throat hurts and I cough like crazy, so a contractor that is working on my studio said that Sears has a really nice small air compressor that plugs into the wall, so I am going to go and check that out.

Archived