Thead is still breaking

Mary Beth

Oh Mary Beth! You poor thing! I have been away for a day and missed all this mess!

I had breakage from the Twilight Zone where that darn thread would break, stitch a few times, and re-thread itself. It was caused by a burr on the hook assembly. The re-threading happened when the thread broke below the needle plate and the hook rotated and picked up the broken thread below and continued making stitches. Spooky!

Hunker down with a good bright light and some fine emery paper with your manual and feel around for the rough spot(s). The manual will show where you can safely polish and where you must not touch.

Send a big hooray if this helps at all.

When can you visit again?

Hi Mary Beth

You\'ve put a lot of work into trying to fix your problem. Now might be a good time to ring Mark or Amy I am sure that all this can be sorted out with one call to the experts.

I think you have a couple of things going on here and the techs will be able to sort out each issue separately.

As far as the thread breaking then restarting again, this sometimes happens if the top thread is too slack. Have you tried using totally different thread not just a new cone of the same and tightening up the tension a little. Sometimes I have found that if I use a slippery thread like Rainbows I need to run it looser than other threads but if I go a little too loose it catches breaks and restarts.

I\'m sure a bit of one on one with Amy or Mark will get you stitching again soon.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

I tried calling tech support first thing this morning and was told they were out today. All of them...

I have been working with John Mitchell off and on via telephone and he has given me some things to do to figure out where the problem is. After adjusting my wheel a lot - I have got the thread to stop breaking - I think. I know John doesn\'t think that could be the problem and a lot of you are probably thinking the same thing, but here is the way my pea brain thinks....

If the wheels are not adjusted properly - and they were not - then the back wheels would not be in the correct place and if they were not then the black encoder wheel would not be hitting the right spot on the wheel....right...makes sense in my brain. Sooo, I have adjusted and adjusted and at last try the stitches were not breaking - don\'t hold your breath - it happened once or twice before then started up again.

The major thing I see wrong now is that I have my stitch length at 13 stitches per inch and I am getting 9. Nothing I do fixes that. I have no idea what to do and another customer dropped off a quilt today and I pick another one up tomorrow. Isn\'t that the way it goes. Here I have been worried about customers and now that my machine is acting like poo-poo I get customers.

I miss Toby, he was always ready to "talk" to me when I got up at the crack of dawn.

Yes, it is 8:30...but I love that show "Don\'t Forget the Lyrics" so I am unwinding from a hard day by singing at the top of my lungs. I\'m up to $100,000.00 I need to go to Fox.com and sign up to be on the show. DH is afraid I will do it!!

Hey Mary Beth,

I have been traveling all day today for a Road Show. If you are having side to side breakage try checking the hole in your needle plate and make sure you don\'t have any scratches in there that the thread is coming in contact with when you go in a certain direction. And make sure that it isn\'t a thread problem as well. Have you tried different theads to see if it makes a difference? Hope this helps! :P

Take care,

Thanks Mark, by the end of the day yesterday things seemed to be back to normal. I changed my little pig tail thread guides - one had a groove worn so it was time, and that could have been part of the problem. I hate to mess with it if it is working...so I\'m going to try it again after I have had enough coffee :) If my problem continues, then I will try looking at the needle plate. Thank you for your help.

Hi mary Beth

You know I\'ve read this thread and it seems youve tried everything. If the pigtail change doesn\'t work I have to tell you that it is in alot of cases the simplest thing.

Most of the time I have had trouble it has been the needle postion. We think it is centered and it isn\'t. If it does it with any thread you try I would suggest that you put a Corsage pin into the eye of the needle and allow it to lay. Be sure the point of the pin rests in the bottom of the eye of your needle in the machine. Then determine that the pin is laying vertically as it should.

Then I loosen the screw and ever so gently tweek the needle to the right and then back still trying to keep the eye centered. Sometimes if the eye is ever so slightly to the right and I mean very very little the problem stops no matter the thread especially if your problem is mostly from Right to left with regard to breakage. Just a trick. Works for me all the time.

Again sometimes it is the most simple solution. Just something to try.

Hugs and good luck. Hope it stops. Thread breakage will make you NUTTIER than you already are. lolololol

Grammie,

It didn\'t take much:P

Today is a new day...she is purring like a kitten. I really think my wheels were to blame. I know that sounds dumb...but they were very loose and I think it was causing my SR not to make proper contact. Everything is lined up where it should be and things are better.

John Mitchell and Mark talked on the phone about it and they think the breaking could be from my needle plate. So if it starts again, I\'m going there....for now I am happy and will leave well enough alone.

Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas....It helps knowing you all are out there and feeling the pain!!

My thread broke again a couple of times yesterday, still stitching from right to left. I took the needle plate off as Mark and John Mitchell suggested and ta-da....there was this little line in the hole the needle goes through, probably from when I broke a needle sometime back. DH got a fine grit sand paper and a punch that would just fit into the hole and started working on the little nick. He got it all smoothed out and hopefully today that will solve all of my problems. Everything else is running good, stitches look fine, all the same size. Who\'da thunk it, a little nick in the needle plate. Thanks guys!!

Hi Mary Beth - I sure hope that all is well with your machine today. You would never think that a little scratch, nic or ?? could make such a difference. Learning all these little trips and tricks are all part of the learning curve for us. There is a lot of good info on this thread to refer to if we go down this "path". Thanks for keeping us all informed as to what worked and what didn\'t. May all your stitching be like soft butter on a warm piece of toast!

Archived