Sign in to follow this  
bobbi

Oriental (crazy curves) quilted with clamshell guide

I\'ve been trying to get in lots of practice on different rulers and guides I purchased. Here\'s a UFO I used to practice clamshells with... even though there are plenty of "weeble wobbles", I\'m pretty happy with it.

post--13461899377252_thumb.jpg

I had put it on the machine all "bass - akwards".... I quilted from the front, but instead of rolling it up on the take up bar, I used the backing bar... It was all hinky for a while, but I didn\'t see any places with tucks, etc.. and I had to pin the sides several time to take out the fullness. All in all, it\'s not too bad!

I\'ve never been a fan of clamshells but after seeing this I will have to rethink my liking. The clamshells are wonderful on this quilt. The quilt itself is wonderful I love it. I think I will look for a ruler in Paducah next month. Thanks for sharing Bobbi (and changing my mind)

PamH

That is very nice Bobbi, makes me want to get my new ruler out and do some practicing - I\'ve got a comfort quilt to do, so that would be a good chance to try some clamshells out on it. Thanks for posting the pics.

C9C76B5257D2C02397F9A72A2E02FC3D.png

APQS Millennium with Smooth M&M Wheels

Pat Noonan Design Studio, Custom Quilting

503-559-9686

pjnoonan@ymail.com

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

I bought it at a LQS, but it says Willowleaf Studio on it.... It has the smaller clamshells on the other side.

I did the quilt cause I\'d never pieced curves before... and from the beginning it just screamed "clamshells!" LOL

Bobbi, Your quilt is beautiful, and the clamshells really enhanced it.. I am more a traditional piecer, though I really like this one.. Guess I\'m going to have to find a clamshell ruler and learn to use it.. Love the back, too. May I ask what batting you used??

RitaR

Bobbi - that looks great. It is the perfect pattern for that quilt. I love the back, you can really see those clamshells. Thank you for posting tose close-ups and the back.

Linda Card

APQS Chat Member since August 2005

Ramona Quilter Longarm Quilting Service (Retired Dec 2013)
Gammill Optimum Plus (sold to a friend Dec 2013)
Ramona, CA (Moved to Central Texas Sep 2014)

My webshots site: http://community.webshots.com/user/legcard (not active)
Blog site: http://ramona-quilter-big-dream.blogspot.com/ (not updated in months)

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Bobbi, I am currently using my clamshell ruler too! How ironic! I am using it on an old quilt that is dated at it\'s earliest,, 1935. My mother-in-law has this quilt, it\'s one with several embroidered signatures all over it with all 1930\'s dates with their names. Hope mine comes out as good as yours does!

Very nicely done Bobbi!!!!

F55CA928B31BF9D50E35FB71F402EFB1.png Millennium/IntelliQuilter 402-450-8321 Designer of the 1/2" foot for Ult II's. 1sheributler@gmail.com

Thanks everyone!

I really love how it came out too... I\'ve been practicing SID, hearts, clamshells, circles, all kinds of things to make it easier and faster to do a quilt beautifully.

I\'m still amazed at how easy it was... I have a rail fence I want to do Baptist fans on... so working with my Hartley fence is soon... I\'m finally putting the yellow quilt on the machine Monday. Can\'t wait!

I have a pattern in mind to use some of my stash of oriental fabrics...this is a great way to quilt it...

I will be ordering the ruler...someday I hope to also order the circle lord, but for now, I practice, practice, practice!!