Flatten my cutting mat

SORRY - I know I saw this somewhere, not very long ago. My large cutting mat has got heat stroke, and is quite bumpy. I am looking for instructions/recommendations for how to flatten it out again. The suggestion is hovering at the edge of my memory, but I don\'t want to guess and ruin the mat completely. Please can somebody direct me to where I need to be! THANK YOU so much.

I saw in a sewing or quilting magazine that you could dampen a towel, place it over the cutting board and iron until it is nearly dry. Let it cool down...repeat as necessary.

My little mat that rotates had a heat stroke in the car while I was traveling...brand new...I was just sick. It sat with a large book on it for forever and didn\'t change one ioda (sp?). I eventually saw this reader suggestion and tried this method...it eventually worked...but I to repeat the process for each part - top and bottom - and then put it under a heavy lamp base. But it did work!

Good luck!

Anita

Thanks ladies. I have already tried putting it under good heavy books, and it hasn\'t changed at all! I think I will try a damp towel and a hot iron and a double dose of caution!! I would rather repeat the process than ruin the mat by cooking it completely!!

Thank you for your time and suggestions!:)

I just flattened my large mat last week (left it doubled over in the car in the sun!) by doubling a bath towel that was slightly damp and then pressing with a hot iron enough to make steam rise. Then I removed the towel and sat a couple of heavy books on it and in 30 minutes I had a new mat.

Does anyone know if this will work on one of the wonderful folding mat/ironing surface? I have bought two. I bought the second one after the first mat got all bumpy after being in the sun in the sewing room. Then the second one got bumpy also after being stored on the edge. So I pried the mat off the backing to see what was under it, apparently it gets bumpy where the glue is.

So; has anyone tried to flatten these mats?

thanks

bobbi

Archived