bobbin case with Pigtail

I've been using them for about 1 year now. I like the way the thread goes straight up using the pigtail. Don't know if it makes a difference or not, but since using them I found less tension problems. I use the Towa tension guide also. When I buy a new bobbin case, I always ask for the pigtail. I get them locally at the store that sold me my machine. I'm located in SLC UT. Will give you the information if you can't find one close to you.

Betty

I use the bobbin cases with pigtails and like them. I also use the Towa bobbin tension gauge to make sure everything is correct. I believe I purchased the cases from Hammer Brothers in Kansas City. Hammer Brothers sells mostly embroidery materials - backings, etc. but these are "L" bobbin cases. I've had no problems with them.;)

On the bobbin case is a small spiral wire. When you pull your thread through the slot you also wind the thread through the pigtail. The pigtail is at the top of the bobbin (the top meaning it's at the top when you put it into the machine)

I think it allows the thread to stay straight up instead of at an angle like it is when you just pull the thread through the slot. I'm not good with instructions...just ask my husband.

Hope I've given you a clue.

Betty

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't have one of the lovely machines from APQS but my bobbin case has a pigtail and folks at TOWA told me their bobbin gauge doesn't work with the pigtail bobbin cases.  Guess I am asking for some clarification on this.  My bobbin case doesn't have any coil-like spring.   My machine, might you ask, is a Bailey 17, wish I had better one.  Right now I am experiencing monster tension issues, so I was thinking the TOWA may help me.  Thank you for any replies.

I have been using these for several months now.  I run my machine at fairly fast speeds with the Intelliquilter, and was getting a lot of bobbin 'bite-off' at the nine o'clock position in the hook.  It seemed almost every row, when the stitching would stop, I would have no bobbin thread, because the force of the stitching stopping would whip that bobbin to the breaking point, even with Magna Glide bobbins.  I ordered the L Towa replacement bobbin case with the pigtail and no backlash spring (because I use Magna Glide bobbins exclusively) and the 'bite-off' stopped immediately.  I thought I had perfect tension before that with the Magna Glide bobbins.  Now I would say I have awesome tension!

I pop my bobbin (with the pigtail) into my Towa gauge without the thread running through the pigtail.  I get the tension reading I want, then I remove the bobbin from the Towa gauge, thread the pigtail, and pop the bobbin case into the machine.  Works like a charm.  Don't believe everything people tell you.  There's always more than one way to get the job done!

Archived