My Great Alaska Quilt Shop Hop Top (finally quilted)

Each shop provided blue and gold batik fabrics to make each star (blue and gold represents our state flag).

After I finished the blocks, I decided to separate them with gold sashing and dark blue cornerstones; got that fabric and then bought the border fabric (I had plenty of leftover fabrics so I made more stars...20 total) Am I an over-achiever or whaat? (not really, but I wanted the quilt to fit my king sized bed, so hence my motivation...)

post--13461899424234_thumb.jpg

One question: I love Rainbows. And so I read here that using it in top and bobbin creates less breakage. So, I did that. But, I still had some troubles with my Rainbows breaking, but after dosing it with plenty of Sewer\'s aid, it behaved pretty well, but sometimes it did break anyway. I had it on the spool. Is it better to use on the cone?

This Rainbows thread sure looks purty purty purty on this quilt! :)

Any more tips on using Rainbows? I sure love to have your sage advice.

No sage advice here, when I used it with a prewound bobbin I didn\'t even have to change the tensions.. I love Brights, also, and the Neons!!! Wow.. love them.

Quilt is Very pretty, love the pattern, may I ask who sells the panto? Thread was perfect for the quilt colors.. WTG!!!

RitaR

Thanks Rita! Goodness gracious, you are up late late late tonight! :) My bobbin tension was perfect! Just beautiful on the bottom; however, the top Rainbows would snap right before the needle sometimes and not sure why this happened without warning. I tried my best to take it slow and easy.

I think most of the on line longarm shops carry this pattern. It\'s called Feelin\' Groovy.

Hi Judy in Austrailia! Top of the mornin\' to ya! :)

Not up late.. was asleep shortly after midnight.. just awake real early.. will nap another couple hours about 7:30 or 8.

That was the same problem I was having with Sew Fine and With Brights.. himself claims it was just too tight tension.. but then.. thats him. It is stitching so nice now.. break his fingers yet.. if it stops. :o

RitaR

Very nice Shana. I like the colors and the panto that you used.

I used rainbows on my machine all the time. Sometimes with rainbows in the bobbin and sometimes with prewounds in the bobbin. I\'ve always loosened up the top tension quite a bit.

I have had problems with the thread whipping around. I solved this by putting an extra pigtail between the 3 hole guide and the tension disk. I just loosed the screw on the machine top and slipped the pigtail behind it. It really helps to keep the thread under control and I didn\'t have to put putty or epoxy on my machine.

Debbi

Shana:

What a beautiful quilt and quilting! I love the blue and yellow/gold. I did one a few years back, using the sweet sixteen and little sister blocks. I sashed mine with the navy, and the gold/yellow for the corner blocks.

I love how bright yours looks and it will be wonderful on your bed!

Shana, Blue and Yellow are my 2 favorite colors together, so looking at your Georgous quilt makes my drooooooool!

It\'s just beautiful all the way around! I would be up as often as i could, just so look at the lovely batik\'s you used! My oh my.....my head\'s spinning with comments, I dont know what else to say......I LOVE IT!

Thanks, all for your kind words, feedback, and sage advice! :)

RitaR, you are correct! :) You weren\'t up late...you were up early! I was up late! LOL! :P I was too tired, I suppose. to think straight.

Anyway, I did not change out my needle (duh!), so perhaps that might have been a reason why it was breaking? I had a 4.0 in there; should I have upped it to a 4.5? That might have helped. So, knowledge of all these little tweaks comes with experience.... some day I\'ll get there!

Have a wonderful, fun quilting day.

That is a nice quilt, I love blue and gold together. The sashing and cornerstones really help define and divide those blocks. Great idea. And of course, your quilting makes it wonderful.

Now about the Rainbows. I remember GrammieTammie posting about turning the needle to 6:35 to keep from breaking Rainbows.

I do love that pattern, but when I went to pattern station looking for it, it does not look like yours. Am I spelling Whoop De Do wrong? This is the Lisa Calle panto.

OK, I found it on www.willowleafstudio.com. It\'s a Michelle Wyman and Terri Watson panto from Heart & Soul called Feelin\' Groovy. I have a reputation to uphold here as the Panto Queen. And believe it or not, I don\'t have that particular panto. But seeing it on Shana\'s quilt makes me want to buy it. Cha-ching.

post--13461899425309_thumb.jpg

Whoopsie doo...I might have made a boo boo! Maybe I need to double triple check the title on that panto! Thanks, Linda. :P I\'ll let you know.

UPDATE:

Linda, Yuppers, you are right... it is called Feelin\' Groovy! I went to my original posts and fixed the error so no confusion. Thanks, friend.

Archived