Oversized Setting Triangle?

Hi Marie--

Boy, nothing like leaving you hanging! One solution would be to figure the size of the regular setting triangles and cutting the squares about four inches bigger. (You will need to cut large squares twice on the diagonal for these setting triangles so you do not have bias on the outside edges.) That would extend the edges to make the "float". But I would probably just make setting triangles to fit as usual and then add a smaller border of the same fabric to have that floating effect. I hate it when instructions leave out a vital step--sorta like when the magazines say "Quilt as desired"!!! Good luck with your project.

I would probably make a template or the size that is needed for the block, cut out of paper and then add the additional needed to make it bigger and then use that as my cutting guide. I hope that makes sense. Another option would be to make it with the normal setting triangles and add a border to make it bigger all the way around. The only down side is then you would have a seam.

Marie--there are math formulas to help you find the right size square to cut your setting triangles..

For the corner--the square is cut once across the diagonal--to yeild 2 triangles with the bias attached to the block and not around the edges

Take the finished size of the block and divide by 1.404 and add .875 (7/8") for seam allowances and then round this up to the nearest 1/8. If you want to make your piece oversized--I just round up to the nearest inch.

For example on a 10" finished block....

10" divided by 1.414 = 7.07 + .875 = 7.95 or 8"--to make oversized--go to 8 1/2 or 9"

For the side triangles--the square is cut across the diagonal twice to give you 4 pieces--with the longest side of the triangle non biased.

Take the finished size of the block and multiply by 1.414 and add 1.25 (1 1/4") for seam allowances and round up to the nearest 1/8". Or as before to the nearest inch to make the square oversized.

again a 10" finished block...

10 X 1.414 = 14.14 + 1.25 = 15.39 or 15 1/2--to make oversized--go to 16"

I know that is a lot of numbers--but I tend to be mathmatically challenged and it always works great for me--I just always have to dig out my formulas!! I am sure that it is a geometry formula for finding the triangles of some sort.

Hope this helps!!!

Terri,

I lost you when you said,

Marie--there are math formulas to help you find the right size square to cut your setting triangles..

:D:P

I\'m numbers challenged. When I hear the word "math", "numbers", "multiply"....etc...you get the picture...I space out and my mind turns to Jello!!

I admire mathmatical people.

Hi again Marie,

My math-loving engineer hubby figured it out for us. Cut a 24" square twice on the diagonals so the non-bias edges will be on the outside edge. The triangles will be 17"x17"x24". The 17" edges will be sewn to the 12" edges of your rows with the extra fabric running off the edge to widen the border. This measurement will give you about 3" extra beyond the on-point squares.

Hooray for smart hubbys!

You all have really gotten into the math! But like Linda Rech said above, I would use normal setting triangles and add a border.

Just how are you planning on joining those odd seams? You\'d also have fabric waste (two triangles from each of the oversized triangles). Too much work for me!

I think the directions were *really* badly written!

Archived