we have started coing custom quilting and what is your base price when you do this and what do you charge for changing thread co

ffq-lar

Oh yeah.......

My goodness--38 color changes!!

Where do I start?

Custom quilting usually starts at .04 per square inch and goes up to the stratosphere.

Color changes are charged at your discretion. I do two colors for no extra charge. Then I charge $10 per change after that. It takes time to change the thread and maybe the bobbin color and also check the tension. I can\'t imagine so many changes unless you are a Sue Patten clone!!!!

Please post a pic of the quilt--I am very curious and in awe of that type of quilting intensity!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY I HAVENT FIGURED OUT HOW TO POST PICTURES YET THE QUILT WAS A WATER COLOR WITH APPLIQUED FISH ON IT AND IT WENT FROM LIGHT TO DARK AND QUILTED INSIDE THE FISH AS WELL AS THE BACKGROUND IT WAS VARIOUS SHADES OF BLUE BUT WE HAVENT FIGURED OUT HOW TO DO ONE COLOR ON AN UP AN DOWN PATTERN WITH OUT TURNING THE QUILT AND SO FORTH I HAVE TO ADMIT IT WAS A CHALLENGE FOR SUSAN MY BEST RIGH ARM SHE HAS BEEN DOING SOME WONDERFUL WORK AND WE BOTH HAVE ONLY BEEN ABLT TO DO THE MEANDERING AND STIPPLING BECAUSE OF THE INTERUPTIONS AT THE STORE WE ARE SO BACKED UP RIGHT NOW THAT WE MAY NEVER SEE DAYLIGHT AGAIN AND WE HAVE ABOUT 13 HOURS OF DAYLIGHT RIGHT NOW AND IT IS STILL GETTING LIGHTER EACH DAY HERE IN ALASKA.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP

MERRY

WOWSERS!! I would love to see a picture!

About 3 years ago, I did a quilt with about 40 thread changes in it.... but I charged a fortune!!! In addition to the high custom price, I added $1 per thread change... (LINDA, I like your style!!! $10!!:D I should have charged that and maybe I would have actually earned minimum wage on that quilt!! LOL!!)

I full-float which allows me to do all the areas with one thread color in one pass, then another thread back up, and so on. I don\'t want to do another one with that many thread changes again--- Unless the quilt top is absolutely and completely breath-taking and going into competition.... and I have a spare week or two to work on it!!;)

I think I would have tried to quilt (throughout the water portions at least) with a blue shade of Bottom Line if the customer did not want to pay my prices. Bottom Line is a great blending thread that really tends to "hide" into the background and just shows the quilting texture/dimension. Just a thought...:cool:

Tina, would you just clarify for me what you mean by a full float? I probably understand but don\'t know the lingo. Also, as you stitched would you have done some stabilizing stitching so you could roll and reroll to change colors at the beginning?

LeAnn, waitin\' for spring!

I don\'t use the quilt top roller at all. I only pin the backing on my leaders, then, I baste the quilt top at the front edge. I leave the quilt top hanging down with the batting. There are directions on how to float your quilt in the How-To section if you have any questions.

Yes, I would go through the quilt and stabilize if I was going to do any areas of dense stitching... or if I needed to leave a large area unqilted while rolling ahead to the next section.

HELLO EVERYONE THANK YOU FOR YOUR INFORMATION THE LADY AME IN TODAY AND PICKED UP HER QUILT AND WAS REALLY RUDE WHEN I TOLD HER THAT WE CHANGED THE THREAD COLORS 38 TIMES SHE TOLD ME THAT WAS RIDICULOUS. SINCE I HADN\'T TALKED TO HER ABOUT THE THREAD CHANGE CHARGES BEFORE WE QUILTED IT I TOLD HER THAT WE WOULDN\'T CHARGE HER FOR THEM BUT SHE HAD ANOTHER QUILT THAT SHE WANTED THE SAME THING WITH THAT ONE NEEDLESS TO SAY I SAID WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT THIS NEXT QUILT BEFORE IT IS QUILTED AS THRE IS AN ADDITIONAL CHARGE FOR THE THREAD CHANGES. WELL I GUESS I JUST DON\'T HAVE TIME TO WAIT I WILL TAKE IT TO SOMEONE ELSE. WE TRY TO HAVE A THREE WEEK TURNAROUND ON OUR QUILTS AND SOME TIMES IT IS QUICKER THAN THAT AND IS ALWAYS GIVEN THAT TIME FRAME BEFORE WE LET THEM DROP IT OFF. ANY WAY ANOTHER LESSON WELL LEARNED. THE QUILT WAS REALLY PRETTY AND THE THREAD WAS COOL AS WELL.

HER GAIN AND OUR EDUCATION AS WELL

THANKS EVERYONE WHEN YOU SAY THREAD CHANGE WHAT IS YOUR DESCRITION OF A THREAD CHANGE?

THANKS MERRY:

I charge per different thread --not for each time I change cones. If there are three different threads used on a top, I charge nothing extra for the first two and then a flat $10 for the third. If there are 4 threads it would be $20. Some quilters put one thread on and quilt all the spaces needing that color, advancing the quilt from top to bottom. A warning, this requires careful stabilization of everything with either basting or SID all over. Then they put on the second thread and do the same. I usually will change colors as needed per quilting area. I seem to get lost and forget a spot if I do it any other way. ( Your customer sounds like a doozy!)

THANKS FOR THE REPLY I SO APPRECIATE OTHERS INPUT. I WASN\'T EXACTLY SURE HOW TO QUILT THIS QUILT SO JUST JUMPED IN I WAS AFRAID TO DO IT IN SECTIONS AND SO SUE AND I DECIDED TO QUILT IT IN SECTIONS THERE WERE 6 DIFFERENT THREAD COLORS AND IT REALLY WA JPRETTY SHE HAD KIND OF APPLIQUED SOME FISH ON IT AND IT WAS DONE POORLY SO WE STITCHED AROUND THEM WITH MATCHING THREADS. ANY WAY ANOTHER LESSON WELL LEARNED. WHAT DO YOU CHARGE FOR AN OVER ALL STIPPLE OR MEANDER.

THANKS MERRY

My area supports 1-1/2 to 2 cents a square inch for overalls.

My minimum price is $40.

Like Tina and many others I do not use the front roller--it\'s a full float for me.

The extra charge for the thread changes is separate from the per-bobbin charge--which for me is $1 per bobbin to help pay for the cost of the thread.

I hope this helps you decide what will work for you in your area.

THANKS SO MUCH OUR CHARGES ARE ABOUT THE SAME LXW X.002 FOR THE ALL OVER AND THEN THE THREAD CHARGE IS A MINIMUM OF 3.00 AND MORE IF IT IS HEAVIER OR A REAL TIGHT STIPPLE EVER ONE SEEMS HAPPY. YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THE QUILTS AND MAKE SOME DIFFERENT DECISONS SOMETIMES DEPENDING ON THE QUILT AND SO ON.

HAVE A GRAT NIGHT I AM OF TO BED AND DREAM OF MORE QUILTS AND QULTING FOR TOMORROW. MERRY

Archived