what size is a fat quarter?

This is a silly question but , what size is a fat quarter? I have a cousin who has some Vintage fabric and wishes to sell some of this off. Some are smaller pieces so a fat quarter may do. Also, what are venders selling vintage fabric for? Any help is appreciated. Nita

You can usually buy 1 fat quarter or a pack of fat quarters from most retailers. "Fat Quarter" means 1/4 of a yard but cut "fatter" than a regular 1/4 cut.

A regular 1/4 quarter of a yard is cut from the bolt, 9" wide by the wof (width of fabric is typcially 44" or 45")

A fat quarter is cut first as a 1/2 yard from the bolt, 18" wide by wof (18" x approx. 44") and then cut in half again (18" by 22")

Vintage fabric refers to fabric that is old and from a particular period of time. Example: I like to buy vintage lace from the Victorian era. In some cases dealers might be referring to fabric that has been designed to look like the fabric of a different time period. Example: You can buy fabric that looks like it was made during the revolutionary war or perhaps the 40s. Real vintage fabric will cost more than reproductions.

Hope this helps.

Happy Quilting :D

Thanks Jean and all

My Aunt died some time ago(2yrs) and my cousin has the real thing. She was a seamtress and doll maker or repair and clothing maker, quilter and crafts. Needless to say over 65yrs of sewing and never got rid of anything. She lived in the same house since married and died at 83.The 40's 50's 60s 70's 80's 90's are all the fabrics. My cousin has alot of fabric that is going to be sold in the future. She was a inspiration to my sewing and quilting. God Bless her. Nita

Archived