Thread for SID/how to SID

smd719

Hi. This may have been discussed, but I can\'t find it. Anyway, what thread do you use for SID? Do you match the background or use MonoPoly?

Do you go around each block or completely across horizontally and then as far as you can vertically? When I use my DSM, I go thru the center both ways and then divide into 4ths.

Thank you thank you thank you!! :)

Stephanie,

I\'m no expert, and I\'m pretty sure you\'ll get as many different answers as there are LAers on this board, but I can tell you what works for me.

I use Bottom Line for SID, and I try to match one of the two fabrics at the seam I\'m SIDing, preferably the fabric on the "lower" side, so the SID goes smoothly. Not always possible....

If I can reach all four sides of a block for SID without rolling, I do that, then continue to the left or right to the next block.

If the blocks (or areas) are too big to do without rolling, I start as close to my front roller as I can, SID towards the takeup roller, then move parallel to the takeup roller and then back towards the front roller on the other side of the area. After I roll the quilt, I finish what I couldn\'t reach on the first pass.

Does that make any sense to you? And again, you\'re probably gonna get all kinds of ways to do it - try \'em and see which one works best for you!

In my post "Rulers are sliding", Darlene Epp posted her site with pics on doing SID with bottom line thread #621 and when using a black light, this type of bottom line shows up really well so that you can see where you are in relation to the seam. Just a thought. Darlene also said that this thread is so thin that it almost acts like monofilament thread in that it picks up the color of the fabric. Just a thought.

Archived