Prarie Points

BethDurand

Hi everyone,

I\'ve got a quilt pink quilt coming up, and it has prarie points along the edges. I\'ve never quilted one like this, so I\'d sure appreciate any thoughts from you. It could be really straight forward, and I\'m just freaking myself out a little for no reason.

Thanks,

Beth

Hi Beth,

With prairie points on the edge, the backer will be folded under and hand-stitched to the edge. So, pin the points out and pin the seam allowance of the top and the prairie points in. Did that make sense? I would stitch within a quarter inch of the edges of the prairie points, but no closer as the finished backer edge will need room to fold under and be hand-stitched down. The top should look "finished" on the frame--nothing hanging outside the prairie points. I\'m not explaining very well, hope you understand what I\'m saying. Let\'s see pics when you are finished!

Hi Beth, I just did one with prairie points with one more border outboard. Because of the bulk of the additional border, SID was not going to be easy so I decided to serpentine the PPs. I didn\'t want those points to flip over either during the quilting or after. The seams were pressed toward the outside and I taped the PPs up so I could quilt under them

P3030010.jpg

Since yours are on the edge, I\'m not sure how to get that backing on the edge if you have already SID. Uou might have to quilt it and stay away from the PPs so the backing can be brought up to meet the PPs during the binding process.

Please let us know how you did it. I love PPs but they are a lot of work.

Beth,

I baste, baste, baste when I do these. After loading the quilt I:

- Machine baste about a .25" from each edge (not including points)

baste down points

- quilt a straight line right next to the .25 basting (This kind of makes a false edge

for the quilt b/c as stated before you have to have enough room to turn the back

for finishing)

- quilt the inside of the quilt then roll and do it again

The reason I baste down the points is b/c

I am OCD and just like everything nice and neat.

Of course you can pin but I have cancer and can not take a chance of sticking myself with pins. Sometimes my friend will pin for me when she has time. Isn\'t it great to have people that love you enough to be a personal assitant at times?!!!!!

Sandra

Archived