2 layers of batting

Hi from a newbie,

I occasionally see posts here and there where they talk about using 2 layers of batting. I get cold very easily and would love to make my quilts warmer and a bit heavier. Any comments on using 2 layers of batting. If using 2 layers, kind should be used and any tips on keeping both layers smooth.

Thanks,

Meg

Meg,

You are going to get a billion different answers....I just wanted to say...I used Hobbs Poly-Down in a quilt I did for my DH and it is about the warmest quilt in our house. It\'s not thick and puffy, but it looks good quilted and it is really warm.

Hi Meg,

I don\'t know what the quilt police would say, but I think you can do whatever you want! I have used W&W with a topper of very thin poly (the cheap kind from Joann\'s) to do a Baltimore album red/green/white top to give more definition to the appliques. It worked great.

If you use two layers of the same batting, they will stick together like crazy, so be sure to start straight and flat and check as you go for wrinkles and tucks.

Before you decide to use two batts, do a warmth test. Pull back the covers on your bed and lay the two batts on top of the top sheet. Cover with another sheet to simulated the weight of the finished quilt sandwich and crawl under there. You will see if that combo is too warm or not. Better to find out before making the quilt, rather than after!

Welcome to the chat--the friendliest place you can go to drink coffee in your jammies.

Meg,

I am not a professional quilter (have a Milli). I have used two layers of Hobbs polydown in a quilt for my daughter who likes a heavy quilt. Just was very careful when advancing to smooth layers of batt. It turned out great. Just took me longer than usual. .

Marilyn

Hi Meg - Welcome to the forum! This is a good question too. A much easier way to deal with this issue is use one "really good and heavy" batting. I usually use Hobbs 80/20 around here, most people like the thinner light quilts. Personally I like Hobbs Poly down-lite, gives the quilt a little more puff, but not too much.

For a customer who likes heavy warmer quilts, I order from Quilters Dream. I get the "SUPREME" 100% COTTON BATTING. It says on the label that it is "excellent for Kitchen crafts & comforters". Meaning it is thick and heavy!! But it is NOT puffy. Really nice feel to it, and I like warmer quilts too. Or you can go with the wool, now they even have great wool battings!! I have not quilted one yet, but I do have one coming up in the next week or so......

I have worked with 2 layer before and isn\'t a problem as long as you really keep a good eye on them both. Good luck!

thanks for all your input. Will do some experimenting - as soon as I get my machine in June. Just getting ready. Can hardly wait. Most of my quilts have been done with Hobbs 20/80. Great feel but I always feel that I need them to be doubled for me to feel warm and cuddly.

You are all fantastic and I love this site - learn something new every time I log on...... thank you, thank you!!!

Meg

Maybe another fibre is the answer. Wool is probably warmer but it doesn\'t have a heavy feel to it. I just used Hobbs Tuscany Silk lately for the first time...love it, and it\'s the warmest quilt in the house...pricier but if you\'re going to put 2 layers of batting in it would be pricier too. I talked to the people once that make alpaca batting, can\'t remember the name but I think they are from arizona. They say that alpaca is supposed to be super warm since it is a hollow fibre so it holds a lot of air ( I hope I have that right!) I would love to use these battings more, but I live in an area where people don\'t really want to put out the extra cash on their batting.

I did two layers of Hobbs 80/20 on one and it stitched up beautifully. I didn\'t do it for added warmth, I wanted to dimension in the quilting.

I would think the wool or Polydown would be best for added warmth. My grandma used to make some that were HOT but not thick. I dont\' know what she used for batting. That was a long time ago.

I used the thickest Dream Cotton in with 2 layers of batting for a flannel quilt. No problems quilting it. My teeny mother-in law who was always cold and had a sliding glass door in her bedrooms swore it was the warmest thing she had ever had. SHe loved it!! It was heavy but very toasty.

Hi Meg,

I have a quilt with two layers of Hobbs 80/20 on my bed right now. The 2 layers together are super warm---but not stifling. I\'ve used two layers of Hobbs 80/20 a few times(mostly out of convenience, not because I have experience playing with the layering of other battings) and the double layers behave and quilt very nicely.

Jill Kerekes

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I like the warmth of poly initially but then kick it off at night because it gets too hot.

I prefer a breathable batt and for me that is Quilter\'s Dream. QD cotton has 4 lofts (request, select, delux and supreme from thinnest to thickest). By the way, if your LQS does not have QD, you can order from QD, no minimums. www.quiltersdreambatting.com

I use QD cotton deluxe and get great warmth and quilt definition. It does not have the drape that QD 70/30 (cotton/poly) has but crinkles up nicely and great to snuggle up and get warm in. Some folks find the deluxe a bit heavy but I like it.

I also use QD wool; now that is lightweight, lofty (great quilt definition), warm and breathable. Little, if any, shrink when washed. I\'ve noticed lately that QD wool is used a lot in show quilts.

Hi,

I use Quilter\'s Dream Wool in my quilts. We have cold, damp winters near Seattle. Other cuddly quilts contain Hobb\'s Polydown. One of these quilts and a flannel top sheet is all I need during the winter. Oops! I also have 3 wienerdogs cuddling me, too. And, several layers of phat! Anyway, putting two layers of anything together in a quilt sounds like trouble. JMHO

Sylvia;)

I also use Quilter\'s Dream wool to do trapunto. It beats all other processes.

Hi.

Here\'s a question...what happens if you use a shrinking batt (cotton) and a non-shrinking one like wool or poly in one quilt? Does it make the quilting fill out and puff more?

You\'ve mentioned some interesting combinations here...Some day, I\'ll try some of them to see for myself. Until then, thanks!

Lisa

NW New Jersey

APQS Liberty

I have been using 3M Thinsulate for years. It is nice and warm, (comes in 3 thicknesses, I use #2) but is not fold your toes over heavy. Completely machine wash and dryable. It compacts nice when needed to fold/pack it but it pops right up again. I don\'t use any other kind.

Just for reference, I\'m in MN and we don\'t always have the heat high.

I also like a warmer quilt, but not necessarily a heavier quilt. So if it is warmth you are looking for and not weight, go with wool. It quilts like a dream and is so soft and cuddly. Added advantage, it doesn\'t take a \'set\' like cotton does, so if you fold it, there will be no fold line when you open it up.

I use Quilter\'s Dream Wool. The disadvantage to Quilter\'s Dream wool is that it only come in 93" wide on the roll. If you buy packages, you can get a king size. I am hoping they will have the larger in rolls soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived