buying fabric

How many of you have the same problem I have? I cannot stop buying fabric. If I go to joann's.which I now do at least once a week, I cannot stay away from the remanents. They have such great deals!! Also I am addicted to online fabric shopping. I must buy from Fabric Depot every month, they have a 40% off sale every month. I did not buy the last 2 months because we were moving and I wanted to move a minimal amount of fabric,lol, I know we had to move at least a dozen large boxes of fabric!! Also bought some sale fabric from Keepsake quilting which was lost during delivery. They replaced it as several weeks after they replaced it it showed up at the house next door to where we are building a house. I e-mailed them and told them to bill my credit card for it and they answered no. I should just keep it for all the trouble i had getting it and the long wait. Well, you can be sure I will be a constatn customer at that site. MY question is, "is anyone out there as addicted to fabric as I am?" But you know what it feels good and I have no thoughts of getting rid of my addiction!!!

Ahh, Mary, we must be soul mates! I am sick, sick, sick! I talk myself into not buying any fabric and then I see a sale... and you know the price of fabric, now! I don't think I will ever be able to use it all, unless I live long enough to get all the grandkids quilting.

But it could be a worse addiction, I don't frequent bars or :Pchase men. I just have a fantastic fabric "collection".

I never seem to have the color I need, even though I have loads and loads..... I was and still am on a bright phase since about february of this year,,, I guess the horrible winter seem more bearable with all those brights in my sewing room. I too will never use all of them, but who wants to. Happiness is a full stash. :) Everytime I go out now, I seem to come home with a few bags. My next addiction is patterns. Will I ever make all those quilts... I Hope so!

I thought that when we die, the one with the most fabric wins!!! Isn't that the case . . . ? Boy, what am I going to do now.

Just kidding . . . kind of! I find myself buying fabric even when I have the right piece in my stash. The reason: I don't want to use it up in case I might need it later. I love the feel of fabric and I can never have too much. I am a fiber fanatic.

Originally I was on a fat quarter kick, especially with brights. Now I buy full yards or more, just in case I want it for a border, etc. When it gets out of hand I go through my stash and catalog what I already have in stock. That usually quiets my impulses for awhile.

Now I am on a pattern kick. I buy patterns for every cute, or comtemporary, or unusual, or fabulous quilt that I find online. Funny thing is, I typically design my own quilts. Who knows, maybe by the time I'm 90 I can get them all made. Thankfully I have already gotten through my "book phase", my "thread phase", and "quilt kit phase". I had no choice . . . I ran out of room.

Aside from my passion for quilting, I'm also a passionate scrapebooker and altered book fanatic. You don't even want to know about all the "stuff" I have for those hobbies.

The good news is that when I retire in the next few years I will own absolutely everything I could ever "NEED" in the way of quilting & hobby supplies. And since I only buy what I can afford every month (I pay off my credit card every month), I won't be in the poor house. Maybe I will open my own store. Hmmm!

I just received an email from another quilter who said she saw a lady wearing a T-shirt that read:

"The one who dies with the most fabric... is dead! Now, where is that estate sale???"

LOL!!! LOL!!!:P:P:P - Okay.... No "BOOS" from the peanut gallery.... well, I thought it was funny anyway!! :P:P:P

How nice to hear the comments made on the love of fabric...it makes me feel less of a freak! I've often wondered...do other hobbyists feel the same strong passion about their hobby as quilters do?

I always say...you know you're hooked when you are watching a love scene in a movie and all you can see is the quilt that is covering those lovers!!! Actually, that happened lately except it was my husband that pointed out the quilt!!! I think he finally "gets it" !!!

I think I'm in a transition with my taste in fabric. I've always steered toward muddy country colours (like Thimbleberries) but find myself experimenting with batiks (oooh!!) and I've unexplanably been picking up fat quarters of brights (aaah!). I really can't imagine what will become of these brights since they are totally out of character for me so all I can figure is that one day the perfect pattern will come along and, by gosh, I'll be ready!!!

Have a good day, Sandra :P

It must be the alignment of the planets, or some other unexplained phenomenon. I thought it was just my sister (and me ;)) who liked brights, until I read these posts.

Here is a picture of her quilt "The Wild Thing" that we made a couple weeks ago. After it was done, I had to go to the fabric store and buy all the fabrics she used to make one of my own, and the sunglass hut for some eye protection while I was working.

post--13461897665641_thumb.jpg

Guest Linda S

I too am addicted to fabric. I was just treated to a shopping spree at the Stitchin' Post in Sisters, OR for my birthday, as my sisters know how much I love all that gorgeous stuff. I came home with a huge shopping bag full. Now I can add it to the huge piles in my studio. By the way, I've always thought that the one who dies with the most fabric wins, but I've recently seen:

"The one who dies with the most fabric wasn't sewing fast enough!" ;)

Get busy gals! I know I will.

Linda

White Rooster, You mention you catalog your fabric... how do you do that? I too have a fabric addiction, it just feels good to order it, it is great to get "presents" in the mail and then you have all this gorgous fabric... but other than a lot of shelves and the R-O-Y-G-B-I-V- blk-white plan, I can't get much of a system... any hints?

Originally posted by SandraC

How nice to hear the comments made on the love of fabric...it makes me feel less of a freak! I've often wondered...do other hobbyists feel the same strong passion about their hobby as quilters do?

:P

Sandra, you should see my cross stitching stuff, my silkpainting stuff, the decoupage stuff, the embroidery stuff.....

But this was before the quilting realy started.

I for myself will keep buying fabric and some more fabric. You never know, perhaps the stores will run out of fabric *G :)) So be prepared ...

Originally posted by thequiltqueen

It must be the alignment of the planets, or some other unexplained phenomenon. I thought it was just my sister (and me ;)) who liked brights, until I read these posts.

Deanna, you should see the quilt I am working on right now. Bright as bright could be. I used this fabric to use it for an exercise. But I think it will turn out not too bad. Will post a picture too, when it is finished.

:cool:

Oh all of you must be my sisters. When I go into a fabric store, get fabric mail order, get my fabric out of the closet, etc, I just rub and rub. I absolutely LOVE the feel of fabric. Sometimes I think people think I may have a problem in the store when they see me rubbing!!! Oh well, at least I am rubbing something that is legal!!

I sure glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this addiction. My husband always says, when he comes into the quilting studio, "you know Joann's is having a sale, don't they need something", thinks he's clever.:) Buying fabric is the only vice I have left and thank goodness it doesn't even make my blood sugar go up. Now I've started on tea. Guess I'll go have a cup of tea and pet some fabric.

Anita

Olalla, WA

This is a great topic.

It is so bad in my family that my daughter (now 25) who doesn't quilt buys fabric just because she loves it. She has a nice batik stach going.

I have also become a thread junkie. There are so many beautiful threads today. In one of the catalogs they have a cabinet that holds thread with every color of the rainbow and everytime I see it I want it. The $250 sticker price prevents me from ordering but I sure do covet that rainbow of thread.

Happy Quilting!

Ema

I always think I never have enough fabric. One bolt of each would be a good start I think. Even when I was in Jr high school I remember I couldn't wait till school was out to go to to this guys house that lived down the road that sold fabric by the pound out of his garage, and the local sprouse ritz I thinkt thats the name of it. What I hate is I get into a fabric store and so much fabric and you can only buy so much what is a girl to do? I have the hardest time deciding LOL!

Hmmm, I think that if we didn't have this raving love for fabric we wouldn't be quilters. I constantly tell my husband that I just want to take it all home with me!! I swear off of buying any more and before I know it I am telling the lady that I want 3 yards of that one and 1 yard of that one. It is, indeed, a sickness.:P But, so much fun.

Last year I was looking for the backing for a quilt. My husband and I went to a town 60 miles away and much to my dismay I just couldn't find the right fabric. So, on the way home, I asked him to stop at this quilt shop in this little town. When we walked in, I told the sales lady what I was looking for and she said, "Boy, do we have a sale for you." They had a big amount of fabric that they were selling for $1.00 (yes, one dollar) a yard, but you had to buy whatever was on the bolt. I spent about $80.....got home, called two of my friends and my husband took us back bright and early the next morning and combined we spent almost another $400. Now the problem that I have is that I hate to cut the material up. It's just too pretty, and gosh, if I cut it up then I won't have enough of it later. Is that a sickness or what?! My sister-in-law, who is quite frugal, about dropped her teeth when she saw all of my fabric. She just can't understand why anybody would buy more of anything than you would use. And, sadly, yes, I too have a really, really nice supply of cross-stitching stuff and ditto on the crocheting stuff. I don't think I can live long enough to use up all of my crafty-hobby stuff. My children are going to scratch their heads and wonder if I had lost my mind.:D

Oh, yes, I did find the backing for my quilt in that $1.00 a yard fabric.....wow, what a bargain!

Leslie, you asked about how I catalogue my fabric. Well, here goes and now you will all know how crazy I really am . . . ;)

My fabric is organized by color and size. Fat quarters are in clear boxes by color or by group, if appropriate. In other words, if I buy a group of fat quarters that all blend together (fabric collections, etc.) then I have those tied together with ribbon. The rest are boxed by color.

Fabric larger than fat quarters are separated by less than a yard and a yard or more. Within those groups I separate by color. All of my fabric have a note attached with the yardage. Fabrics purchased for a specific project are kept in a zippered project bag with the pattern or my notes regarding usage.

Exceptions: All of my Asian, batiks, silks, velvets, flannel and specialty fabrics are each in separate groups.

I put together a spreadsheet on my computer which lists at least the yardage and color. If known, I also include the manufacturer, name of the collection & designer and where I purchased it. This additional information only gets included when I'm buying collections. It really helps when you need more of the same fabric or when I'm trying to use it on EQ5.

I'm not always good about keeping it in order, especially when I'm working on a project or have been fabric shopping. So, when I want to slow down my buying, I spend some time getting everything re-organized, which lets me "touch" my stash while getting a reality check as to how much I actually own. It usually works and even gets my creative juices flowing . . .

Happing Quilting (or shopping) :D

My family believes I belong to a cult and will need to be deprogrammed. They cannot believe how someone will buy fabric just to feel it, or because it looks pretty! I knew there were more of us out there. When I was a kid, my Great Aunt Mamie lived down the street from us, and she was a wiz on the sewing machine. Never used patterns, looked at a garment and duplicated it. We all joked because her dining room "disappeared" over the years as fabric moved in. Aunt Mamie is now 99, still sewing, and my goal in life is to have a room that looks like hers, full of fabric! When I first started quilting I only bought fat quarters, now I find myself saying four yard, I don't know where that voice comes from!

You know we are addictted to fabric but at least it is legal. The ones who complain about our addiction have an addiction of their own, well usually. You know, addiction to flowers, tools, books, videos, cars, etc. etc. Have you ever seen how some people fondle their cars. Well we are no worse than that when we rub our fabric. I know a man who washes his cars everyday. Yes, rain or shine, hot or cold. Now that's an addiction. I just ignore them. Some people are addicted to clothes and shoes. I have a friend whose daughter has at least 200 pairs of shoes. Tell me she is not addicted. I love my fabric and if I get it for a great price I love it even more. Happy fabric rubbing!!

Archived