buying fabric

I know what you are talking about:cool::D!!!!

I want to caress my fabrics the whole day.....and I have more than 3000 in my store !;)

And all of them (mostly:cool:) I love - I only buy at the wholesaler which I really like ! If I see a nice fabric - I have to have an idea for a quilt at once - it doesn?t matter wether I would have time to do this quilt in the future:D

I MUST buy it!

But you are lucky in the states: here in Europe the fabric?s wholesaler!!! prices are the same like you are paying in the stores! So the fabrics are much more expensive in the european stores!:(

I opened my store 9 years before, because I wanted to get the fabrics as cheap as possible;), but it?s only another dimension:;) Now I?m buying more fabrics and more yards of them*lol*

I agree with you - I have thousands of fabrics , but the one I?m looking for is still missing!:D

What I really love as well is - All over the world we fell like sisters ( and some brothers) : we all speak "patchwork"!

Have a great day.... best wishes from over the ocean!

Claudia from Germany

Alas, I too, am a collector. I go in cycles, collecting fabrics, yarns, fabric dyeing stuff and recently threads. I have a new LA and am becoming addicted to threads for that.

I, too, also organize my stuff mostly. My threads are organized into drawers by colors. I have an embroidery machine so have lots of threads for that. I bought a Brother labeler and have the outside drawers labeled.

For my fabric, I have some metal drawers on wheels (like a closet organizer), and have all the cotton fabrics sorted by colors. Fabrics that I buy specifically for a quilt and the pattern go into individual labeled plastic shoeboxes. Other fabrics are sorted into big plastic tubs, etc.

Sounds like I am organized, but am only organized for awhile. Recent purchases stay in bags until I am tired of falling over them and then I take a day to sort and organize everything. Looks great for about a day. Right now I am looking for that magic fairy that can help me get some stuff done. LOL

Originally posted by thequiltqueen

My sister is a Physician's Assistant, and did some work on the psych ward during her training. She informed me tonight that I have "thread issues" and need to enter a rehab facility immediately to overcome my addiction. ROFLOL!!!!

hehehehehehehehe

Okay, I think I know of a rehab center over in Hawaii. Yeah, it's happening mid-July next year on the island of Kaua'i. I think it's called "Quilt Hawaii 2006" and you'd only have to do therapy for a day or two. Yeah..... rehab would be a real good thing.

Ladies, I have lots of friends that sound just like all of us. And, yes, they joke about going fabric shopping at "Donna's" instead of Joann's.

I don't think I've taken the time to organize my sewing room for the past six months and it sure needs it! My husband is coming home from the hospital on Saturday and he's going to be shocked when he sees the state of that room. Hope it doesn't send him back.....

Fabric is almost as good as chocolate.

Happy Quilting!:)

Last year my husband was transferred to the east coast from NO CA, well needless to say eventually, he sort of insisted I follow. When the movers came over to give us the quote for moving our possessions the foolish moving guy told me I would have to get rid of all of that fabric it weighed too much and was replaceable (hhhahhhh) and taking his suggestion into consideration he gave us a quote. Well let me tell you not only did I continue to invest in my future ;), I dumped all of my furniture, appliances and non-essentials.. The fabric made the trip :P...

OH I still exceeded the weight limitations and I say that with great pride! Foolish man!

My husband is still trying to figure out why we needed all new furniture :o

LOL!

Wow, Jean! Sure wish I could be that organized but I'm lucky I have things sorted by color and theme into bins! W could probably pool all our stashes and open the world's largest fabric shop!

In the Not-To-Be-Believed category, a neighbor of mine who quilts had her hubby build her a room over the garage for her quilting. I went over to check it out (she has a table that you put a DSM on -- don't know the name) and noticed no fabric cubbies. When I asked her where her fabric was . . . she said she only buys enough to make the quilt she is currently working on!

I'm sorry . . . that just does not compute in my brain!

If this is a cult, I'm soooo glad to be a member!!

Sara

• 3 weeks later...

OMG! I cannot believe that I have lived in this state for 26 years and last week was my first trip to Fabric Depot in Portland. Gals, if you ever come to Oregon, this store is a must see! It's in an old WalMart-sized store and is FULL of fabric. Batiks in just about every pattern and color you could want, then you move on to the Moda, the RJR (including most of Jinny Beyer's color palette), Hoffman, P&B, Timeless Treasures, etc., etc., as you move towards the back of the store you come on another huge selection, this time in flannel!! Then there are the buttons and the embellishments, and the home decor items, and the notions. I hyperventilated when I walked in and had to go sit down and put my head between my knees! Plus, everything was 30% off. On September 30 and October 1, they are having their monthly 40% off all fabric sale. Guess where I'm going? :D

Linda

Oooh, ooooh, ooooh, Linda, I want to go with you!:P

But alas, it's just too far....soooo, was wondering if these folks have a website to drool over?:) Do you know?

Thanks, now I'm not feeling so weird about having soooo many boxes of fabric. We've had to put a lot of stuff into storage a couple of months ago, in order to facilitate a move into our home, which isn't really ready for habitation. I must've moved over a dozen boxes of fabric; they're organized only by color, i.e. reds/pinks, greens, blues, etc. Just didn't realize I'd stashed so much over the past few years!;)

Pat

AZ:cool:

Actually, they do have a website, but they don't have all of their stuff listed. You could probably email or call them and ask if they have a certain item. On their website, there is a link for a virtual tour of the store -- shows you the fabric section (or a small part of it), the button section, notion section, etc. It is simply www.fabricdepot.com I'm taking my sister with me to the sale next weekend. Fortunately, next Friday is PAYDAY!!

They have a calendar on the site too that tells about the sales. Currently, they have been having a 30% off EVERYTHING, which has been going on for about a month. the 40% sale is only a few days a month. Sure beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick anyday!

Linda

I had the same problem until I bougth my long arm and realized I don't have time to piece. I bought thread in place of buying fabric. That worked ........until I had every thread that superior makes along with others I like. Then I started with the fabric again. Thank goodness Superior has two new lines coming out. I'll be at their door chanting open, open, open.

Myrna

Those that are looking into a rehab in Hawaii. I own a shop in Hawaii, should I convert the classroom for rehab purposes? This could really test your willpower.

The sad part is that I must sell my shop, as we need to move back to the mainland for family reasons. So I may need someone to run the rehab center for quilters. hehe:P

If you're ever flying over the ocean be sure to stop by and we'll check you in.

Sheila

Archived