can anyone help with pokies?

I am working on a customer quilt and am using 100% cotton, Quilter\'s Dream. Package says no scrim but I am getting very numerous and obvious pokies on the back of the quilt. I am now ripping out all the work I have done and don\'t know what to do. Please give me any suggestions as they will be greatly appreciated. Janet

Janet,

Wow I\'ve never gotten pokies with quilters dream. There is no scrim that is true. Here is my guess, the cotton thread is grabbing onto the cotton fibers of the batting. I would try a bigger needle or even consider using a poly thread instead of cotton. I can\'t think of anything else to help. I\'ve only had the pokie problem with Hobbs.

I had this same problem using W&N batt and cotton thread. After frogging all that I had done, I switched the thread to poly, and the pokies were no longer a concern. Someone (can\'t remember if it was here, or with another LA small group) told me to throw the quilt along with a damp towel into the dryer and the pokies will pull back into the quilt. I haven\'t tried this tip yet. Has anyone else tried this? Just a thought.

I have had pokies on W & N but never on QD cotton. And I just finished a quilt with Isacord (love it) but now that I remember, it was a poly batt (QD Puff).

I am glad that you brought the topic up, though. If I get pokies again, I will definitely try the damp towel in the dryer and/or the spray starch ideas.

I have had pokies with QD batting and Isacord thread and have never found a solution to the problem. If you are using a new needle, don\'t have your backing fabric too tight, then I think its the weave of the backing. Recently I had a quilt that had two different fabrics in the backing...both were quilt quality fabrics....there were pokies on one of the fabrics, and none on the other. Whenever I have a solid color backing, I warn the quilter that this might happen....when it has, the customer seemed unconcerned about it. Drives me nuts though!

I agree, it has really stressed me out. I did change needles, used isacord thread and didn\'t pull the fabric too tight on the machine and I had less pokies, but there were still a few here and there. I am afraid to throw it in the dryer as it is not my quilt so I will tell the owner that is an option. At least it is done and I really hope she likes it. I will try to post pictures in the next few days. My DH has to show me how and then maybe I can post pictures regularly. Again, thanks for all the suggestions, I don\'t know who I would turn to for help if I didn\'t have all you wonderful quilters to give me advice. Thanks so much. Janet

FYI:

Had to try it - recently finished hubby\'s quilt and had a few pokies on the flannel back before I realized and changed to a bigger needle?! Didn\'t pick it out - while reading posts today I had clean towels in the washer so I grabbed a couple and threw into the dryer with the quilt. Helped with the pokies a little bit?!?! Suggest using a light towel with light colored quilt and dark with darks - just in case of "towel lint".

Good Luck with your quilt! I changed to a bigger needle on hubby\'s quilt AND lowered the height of the quilt a bit - was a little high on the bed?!

Archived